View Full Version : Great Tip For Household Chores!!!

Vero
09-04-04, 12:08 PM
Hi Everyone,
I was watching Clean Sweep on HGTV the other day and they had a great tip for getting your household cleaning/chores done.

Time yourself to see how long it takes to do a task, i.e. vaccuming the living room. When you know it only takes 3.5 minutes to vaccum the living room, you're less likely ot put it off since it will only take 3.5 minutes!

I thought this was a GREAT tip for all us ADDers that can never seem to get around to the routine household cleaning. Now I just have to not procrastinate buying a stopwatch..... (Ha-ha!)

waywardclam
09-05-04, 12:53 AM
How many minutes would that take? :D

maiasmom
09-05-04, 01:04 AM
wow that is a really good idea. i have a really hard time with time. i totally underestimate. i will think it will take me 10 minutes and it totally takes me 30. esp. trying to get ready in the morning. is that normal. maybe someone can poll it....

Vero
09-12-04, 02:36 PM
Hey Clam! How are you? Well, I posted that on 9/4/04 at 12:08pm. It's now 9/12/04 2:37pm and I still have no stopwatch. So, so far it has taken me 11,020 minutes to get a stopwatch. (HA-HA!!!!)

Vero
09-12-04, 02:51 PM
No, I did not do that calculation in my head. "Ten Minutes to Wapner. Definitely Gotta Watch Wapner."

ANYWAY. yes I also have a hard time getting ready in the morning. Usually because I get distracted by things I don't necessarily need to do before work. But I definitely underestimate the time it takes me to do things too. And on the days that I am moving along smoothly an unexpected wardrobe crisis always pops up that makes me late. I have learned to accept it. Even on meds I am usually 5 or 10 minutes behind the rest of the world. Although when I first started Strattera I was a lot more efficient in the morning - in the beginning I was even early for work for awhile. But I fell back into the old routine I guess. Maybe my meds aren't working as well as they used to?

spunkysmum
12-11-08, 06:37 PM
Hi Everyone,
I was watching Clean Sweep on HGTV the other day and they had a great tip for getting your household cleaning/chores done.

Time yourself to see how long it takes to do a task, i.e. vaccuming the living room. When you know it only takes 3.5 minutes to vaccum the living room, you're less likely ot put it off since it will only take 3.5 minutes!

I thought this was a GREAT tip for all us ADDers that can never seem to get around to the routine household cleaning. Now I just have to not procrastinate buying a stopwatch..... (Ha-ha!)

LOL, I thought of an approach the other day to cleaning that I haven't tried in depth yet, but to think of it as a "treasure hunt" for all the things I know I have but have not seen in a while, that would turn up during cleaning.

I'm laughing, because one of the "treasures" I need to find? My stopwatch.

RedHairedWitch
12-11-08, 10:28 PM
The average commercial break is 2 to 3 minutes. Its amazing what I can get done during commercial breaks watching Battlestar Galactica.

OnlyMe
12-14-08, 03:57 PM
I get an amazing amount done while I'm waiting for my kettle to boil in the morning, it can't take all that long (though I have no stopwatch!) but usually I completely empty the dishwasher, get my bowl of cereal made, get my supplements and the kids' meds all laid out.

teenie
12-31-08, 05:24 PM
A lot of times I will bargain with myself and set the timer for say 30 minutes of focused cleaning. Most times when it goes off I either got most of what I wanted done or I am in the cleaning mode and am fine finishing the work up. I am a total dork, I have the amounts of time things take to do in my house broken out by minutes and try to race myself (without being sloppy). I am still a kid at heart when I make it a mental game I am much more likely to finish the task. I also find in the first few hours of my meds I get the most efficent cleaning done.

ginniebean
12-31-08, 05:45 PM
How many minutes would that take? :D
That made me laugh!

Actually I thought I'd do something like this, so far it's still in the thought realm. But it's certainly something to start a note pad on.

Thanks!

pamkay414
01-12-09, 03:09 AM
It may only take 3-1/4 minutes to vacuum but to clean the mess in the room that needs to be vacuumed could take many hours if I want to do it right. But it is a good tip and if I get used to picking up after ourselves then it would only take 3-1/2 minutes to vacuum.

But I'm on a roll tonight in a great cleaning mood so off I go to do some more. The ritalin is what gives me the energy and I am glad something does. I just wish it came naturally.

Thanks again for passing that tip along. I love Clean House. I wish they would show less repeats but I watch them anyway. It's a real inspiration to see what they can do.

Pam

auntchris
03-06-09, 12:59 PM
I spend alot of time vaccumming since I have a dog. She is cocker spaniel and sheds. I spend at least 20 minutes around the apt. I empty out the bin, I have a dyson slim. I love it and you can see the dirt and particles you are breathing. it is easy to empty. You should see the hair that come up.

OMGoodness.

I dont only clean I organise at the same time. Get it done all at once. Awww time to relax.

Impulsive71
03-06-09, 02:21 PM
Why should I clean my place when no one comes for a visit ?
I will do it "this" weekend :)

ENTrePreneur
08-31-09, 09:44 AM
You know, my problem isn't so much cleaning and organizing, because my vise to that is my audio book that I listen to that helps me get through from beginning to end....my bigger problem is needing to find some sort of excersize that will help me START the process, I put all projects off as long as I can that I just can't bring myself to do. Any suggestions on that?