View Full Version : Any Success With Natural Remedies & diet change?

80S FAN
07-03-11, 10:06 PM
Hi, Im thinking of starting Meds (Adderall or Ritalen), but have noticed my add symptoms subside a bit since taking Fish oil, Magnesium,And ginko,.

anybody else tried supplements and homeopathic remedies for A.D.D
and have any success with it?

And could a change of diet help? I did the low carb diet few years ago, and remember I could think a bit clearer(before i knew i had A.D.D.)
could lowering sugar intake and carbs help? any tips would be appreciated thanks.

ginniebean
07-03-11, 11:09 PM
I can no longer take meds, I've tried fish oil, I've tried magnesium to no avail. I'm not thrilled about the idea of snake oil of which plenty abounds.

I would just much prefer my meds back.

sighh

selita
07-03-11, 11:59 PM
I took omega fatty acid pills on and off for years depending on if I remembered to or not. It took me a long time to realize it, but I'd get depressed after not taking them for a few weeks, and feel better when I did take them for a while. And yet I still forget all the time. I try to take them though. They're definitely the most beneficial thing I've tried.

I started on magnesium because I heard it would help with menstrual pain and chocolate cravings. Magnesium is supposedly depleted by excess calcium, and I drink a lot of milk and sometimes take calcium supplements due to a family history of osteoporosis. The jury's still out, but it seems to do me some good.

I take a multivitamin and vitamin D as well. That's it... I've tried a few other things but few of them made a noticeable difference. What did I take... off the top of my head:

Vitamin B complex (made my pee really yellow, didn't hurt me, don't know if it helped)
Vitamin C (did nothing, tastes good though, I probably eat too much fruit for it to make a difference.)
Vitamin D (everyone says this is really good for everyone)
Vitamin E (great as an ointment, pointless as a pill)
Calcium (I probably get plenty from diet)
Iron (there's a bit in multivitamins and some in food, no worries there)
Magnesium (loads in chocolate, body wants it, but I'd like to cut down on the chocolate)
Chromium (supposedly helps sugar metabolism, took briefly, don't know if it did anything)
5-HTP (no noticeable effect, plus potentially dangerous over time, apparently)
St John's Wort (loads of drug interactions, did nothing for me)
Zinc (did nothing)

PS: watch out for the term "homeopathic" -- it means "watered down until it is actually just water". It's placebo and an absolute scam.
"Natural" or "Naturopathic" or "Holistic" might be good, but check that what you're buying is supported by scientific evidence.

stones
07-04-11, 12:46 AM
I take omega-3 vitamins every day and do notice a marked mental improvement with them (less prone to anger, lower levels of depression).

It is the only supplement that I take that gives a noticeable with/without difference.

One important thing to note is- It takes fairly high doses for the omega-3 supplements to work , I take 3600mg a day (3 1200mg capsules) 2 in the morning one at night, other people might find lower doses affective if they eat fish and other sea foods (main source of omega-3), I personally don't like sea food so I definitely need a high supplement.

80S FAN
07-04-11, 12:53 AM
thanks to all who responded with the great info,

just a note,also had some bouts with depression a while ago, but havent had it for a long time, maybe cause ive been on triple strenth fish oil 1800 mg a day

grandma lise
07-04-11, 02:00 AM
A psychiatrist told me five years ago that fish oil benefits all psychiatric conditions across the board. I've taken it for years with good benefit.

Six months ago, I stopped taking nutritional supplements because I wanted to see what happened. My PMS came back with a vengence, and I developed hypertension for the first time in my life: 140 - 145 over 90 - 95.

Someone told me about her naturopath. I liked what I heard. I set up an appointment and filled out pages and pages of questionaires. The naturopath did more lab work than I've ever had in my life. My B-12, D-3, and iron levels were extremely low and she showed me my previous and current lab results that show I have hyperthyroidism.

She immediately started me on those three supplements and within two weeks I noticed my blood pressure began dropping. It wasn't until I was talking with a friend that I realized the supplements were the ONLY change that could explain the sudden improvement. It's been consistently high for six months.

In a few weeks, my B-12, D-3, and iron levels will be checked again. At that point I'll know if my body is no longer absorbing nutrients. I will also get the results of a test to determine if I have gluten intolerance which is a common cause of this problem.

Now let me be clear about this...I do not want to be diagnosed with gluten intolerance, but if the test comes back saying that's what I have, my health will continue to decline - (vitamin supplements or not) - if I ignore it. And if that's what I have it's good to know that there is something I can do to restore my health.

Do I think vitamin supplements help? Absolutely, but I only take high quality supplements.

Up until I stopped taking them six months ago, I took for the last 15 years:

a multi vitamin
B-complex
C
a calcium, magnesium, D, and K forumlation
E
fish oil
a formulation for people with blood sugar problems
selenium
oh, and D-3 now

A book that really opened my eyes to the benefits of nutritional supplements ten years ago is Your Miracle Brain by Jean Carper, a former Medical Correspondent of CNN. Everything in the book is research based. It's an easy read.

Do nutritional supplement help with AD/HD? Not the ones I take and listed BUT the B-complex, fish oil, calcium (to keep the PMS under control), and selenium helped, mostly with mood and somewhat with the anxiety. I've been depression free for a long, long time. I take the C and E for to help prevent alzheimer's and other forms of dementia later in life.

Hope this encourages you to continue learning about the researched benefits of nutritional supplements.

Lisa

80S FAN
07-04-11, 02:24 AM
super info thank you Lisa and everyone for taking the time out to help

grandma lise
07-04-11, 01:47 PM
Thanks 80S FAN for starting the topic. Out of curiousity, I did some reasearch after I posted last night.

For anyone who has HYPERTENSION, read on...

Of the three nutritional supplements that I started taking a few weeks ago - (B-12 drops, D-3, and iron) - it's likely the D-3 that reduced my high blood pressure. I'm currently taking a loading dose of 10,000 IU a day until my D-3 level returns to the normal range. Interesting article. Here it is... http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ije/2010/579640/

Lisa

islandgrrl
07-04-11, 09:43 PM
I am fairly conservative about taking pills, even supplements, but I really can't see any downside to taking fish oil. My doc also suggested evening primrose oil to me as it is believed to help with pms, plus is a source of omega-6. I just started taking these again a few weeks ago, and found both combined in one capsule: http://naturalfactors.com/ca/en/products/661/womens-complete-rxomega-3-factors
I can't really tell how much it helps with my ADD, but it is at least good for general health.

Just today I picked up a supplement called Bamboo Sil, which is a silica supplement. Like I mentioned, I am very skeptical about these things, but my dad has been taking it for a while for his general health. He is 59, and was surprised to recently discover he no longer needed his reading glasses to read the newspaper! Apparently silica is important for collagen production, bone health, plus skin hair and nail health.

I have been having a hard time finding out if there is any interaction between ritalin and bamboo silica. I would like to take both at the same time. Anyone have any info on this?

mctavish23
07-04-11, 10:14 PM
I like the way you phrased this, as I can live with "remedies,"

as it's less intrusive than clinical treatment.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)

thegreenjudy
07-08-11, 04:19 PM
I take omega-3 vitamins every day and do notice a marked mental improvement with them (less prone to anger, lower levels of depression).

It is the only supplement that I take that gives a noticeable with/without difference.

One important thing to note is- It takes fairly high doses for the omega-3 supplements to work , I take 3600mg a day (3 1200mg capsules) 2 in the morning one at night, other people might find lower doses affective if they eat fish and other sea foods (main source of omega-3), I personally don't like sea food so I definitely need a high supplement.

Hi Stones...I'm a bit puzzled when it comes to fish oils...you say you need at least 3600 mg??Is that EPA or DHA? I know a pretty good brand but theirs is much lower. And it gets good reviews as well. It's from Equazen Eye Q (you probably know that one)..so what's the difference and which brand are you using?

Here are the ingredients for Equazen:

Capsules per daily intake: 2 capsules RDA<sup>1</sup>

Ingredients:
Hi-EPA fish oil, Evening Primrose Oil, Natural Vitamin E (as d-alpha tocopherol, from IP soya). Capsule shell: Gelatin, glycerol, purified water.

<table class="nutritional_info" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="400"> <tbody> <tr> <th id="col1" abbr="Ingredient" style="padding-right: 3px! important; padding-left: 3px! important; font-weight: bold! important; font-size: 1.2em! important; padding-bottom: 3px! important; color: white! important; padding-top: 3px! important; background-color: #00a7de! important; text-align: left! important">Ingredient</th> <th id="col2" abbr="Information" style="padding-right: 3px! important; padding-left: 3px! important; font-weight: bold! important; font-size: 1.2em! important; padding-bottom: 3px! important; color: white! important; padding-top: 3px! important; background-color: #00a7de! important; text-align: left! important">Information</th> </tr> </tbody> <tbody> <tr class="first"> <td class="ingredient" headers="col1" style="padding-right: 3px! important; padding-left: 3px! important; font-size: 1.2em! important; padding-bottom: 3px! important; color: #666666! important; padding-top: 3px! important; background-color: #edf9fd! important; text-align: left! important" valign="top" width="250">Fish Oil (omega-3)</td> <td class="information" headers="col2" style="padding-right: 3px! important; padding-left: 3px! important; font-size: 1.2em! important; padding-bottom: 3px! important; color: #666666! important; padding-top: 3px! important; text-align: left! important" valign="top" width="150">800mg</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="ingredient" headers="col1" style="padding-right: 3px! important; padding-left: 3px! important; font-size: 1.2em! important; padding-bottom: 3px! important; color: #666666! important; padding-top: 3px! important; background-color: #edf9fd! important; text-align: left! important" valign="top" width="250">Eicsapentaenoic Acid (EPA)</td> <td class="information" headers="col2" style="padding-right: 3px! important; padding-left: 3px! important; font-size: 1.2em! important; padding-bottom: 3px! important; color: #666666! important; padding-top: 3px! important; text-align: left! important" valign="top" width="150">186mg</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="ingredient" headers="col1" style="padding-right: 3px! important; padding-left: 3px! important; font-size: 1.2em! important; padding-bottom: 3px! important; color: #666666! important; padding-top: 3px! important; background-color: #edf9fd! important; text-align: left! important" valign="top" width="250">Docosahexaaenoic Acid (DHA)</td> <td class="information" headers="col2" style="padding-right: 3px! important; padding-left: 3px! important; font-size: 1.2em! important; padding-bottom: 3px! important; color: #666666! important; padding-top: 3px! important; text-align: left! important" valign="top" width="150">58mg</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="ingredient" headers="col1" style="padding-right: 3px! important; padding-left: 3px! important; font-size: 1.2em! important; padding-bottom: 3px! important; color: #666666! important; padding-top: 3px! important; background-color: #edf9fd! important; text-align: left! important" valign="top" width="250">Evening Primrose Oil (omega-6)</td> <td class="information" headers="col2" style="padding-right: 3px! important; padding-left: 3px! important; font-size: 1.2em! important; padding-bottom: 3px! important; color: #666666! important; padding-top: 3px! important; text-align: left! important" valign="top" width="150">200mg</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="ingredient" headers="col1" style="padding-right: 3px! important; padding-left: 3px! important; font-size: 1.2em! important; padding-bottom: 3px! important; color: #666666! important; padding-top: 3px! important; background-color: #edf9fd! important; text-align: left! important" valign="top" width="250">Gamma Linolenic Acid (GLA)</td> <td class="information" headers="col2" style="padding-right: 3px! important; padding-left: 3px! important; font-size: 1.2em! important; padding-bottom: 3px! important; color: #666666! important; padding-top: 3px! important; text-align: left! important" valign="top" width="150">20mg</td> </tr> <tr class="last"> <td class="ingredient" headers="col1" style="padding-right: 3px! important; padding-left: 3px! important; font-size: 1.2em! important; padding-bottom: 3px! important; color: #666666! important; padding-top: 3px! important; background-color: #edf9fd! important; text-align: left! important" valign="top" width="250">Natural Vitamin E</td> <td class="information" headers="col2" style="padding-right: 3px! important; padding-left: 3px! important; font-size: 1.2em! important; padding-bottom: 3px! important; color: #666666! important; padding-top: 3px! important; text-align: left! important" valign="top" width="150">3.6mg∞TE+* 36%</td> </tr> </tbody> </table>
<sup>1</sup> EU recommended daily allowance. +∞TE = d-alpha tocopherol.

I just started another thread in the wrong section so I would like to repeat my question:

So I made a list (one of the 25 that are lying around on my desk) with supplements I am planning to take to help with my ADD and depression (especially SAD).

I generally have a healthy diet although I don't like exercising much..need to work on that. But I thought certain supplements might help me to boost my performance and sometimes it's not easy to get it all just with your diet (some I probably don't get at all)

Can anyone tell me where I could get the best quality supplements from? The net seems to be a jungle when it comes to supplements. I would like to buy the following ones preferably from the same company (although I have a favourite company for 2 of them so they need to be bought seperately)

Any thoughts on the following supplements are welcomed:

Omega 3 (&6) - will probably get from Equazen, Eye Q, they have also good offers

Ginseng

Ginkgo

Vitamin D3

Calcium (Will probably purchase Adcal D3 - also contains Vitamin D3 but not enough for my needs so need to make sure the seperate Vit D3 supplement doesn't contain too much)

Zinc

Magnesium

Evening primrose oil

Vitamin B complex

Anything I forgot? Some of it is to help my brain and some of it to help my moods (evening primrose it also good for PMT)

Can anyone recommend a good company?

Spacemaster
07-08-11, 08:04 PM
I was taking Nordic Naturals brand fish oil, they have several formulas, I can't remember what one I was on, but I ran out and it was kind of spendy so I quit taking it. I didn't notice a huge improvement when I was on it, but when I was off I sure noticed! I got more depressed for sure. Added benefit, my fingernails got much nicer :) I really do like the brand I was on, much better quality

Zuzuzmith
07-09-11, 03:48 PM
Hey,

I've read the actual data from most of the fish oil studies actually conducted (thanks for the hyperfocus, adderall), for mood disorders and cognitive decline in the elderly (not many exist on ADHD).
It doesn't look promising, at all, but since there are a number of ways I might benefit from taking them and at any rate, adverse effects are very rare, I took 6 high potency capsules a day for a few months - yielding about 2 g of EPA and 1-2 g DHA.
It's hard to say if it made a difference, certainly not a great one, but now that I'm off meds I might start it up again and will post if I notice a difference in about 6 weeks (and don't have meds by then).

As for the carb situation, most data implies it doesn't make a difference.

But during periods of time I've maintained a diet high in lentils, beans, barley, oats (rich in fiber and "resistant starches", which help blood sugar and insulin levels) and al dente whole wheat pasta (about half the carbs are digested very slowly). And I do feel it keeps my mood and level of concentration a bit more even to eat those things throughout the day, than it does to eat more sugar and fast carbs. And at any rate, they're very very good for you; tons of anti-inflammatory compounds, soluble and insoluble fiber, folic acid, etc.

So I would say maybe on the fish oils in high doses, yes on a wholegrain- legume- and resistant starch -rich diet.

Webbster5296
09-02-11, 02:16 AM
PS: watch out for the term "homeopathic" -- it means "watered down until it is actually just water". It's placebo and an absolute scam.
"Natural" or "Naturopathic" or "Holistic" might be good, but check that what you're buying is supported by scientific evidence.

This is true in the literal sense of the word, but many people incorrectly use Homeopathic when they really mean Holistic or Naturopathic, so it could be legit sometimes if that is the case.