View Full Version : How medication cost affects the budget?

buddy
07-05-11, 06:43 PM
I don't have health insurance but I'm lucky enough to get the Abilify that I take through their patient assistance program.Because I meet the financial criteria I am able to receive a 90 day supply at a time.So far I've been on it for 3yrs. & they have sent it to me for free.My other meds. have to be paid out of pocket.

BR549
07-05-11, 08:54 PM
You know, I've heard that Abilify is pretty expensive. I'm glad that these companies are offering these patient assistance programs. I often wonder how many people can't afford a medication and have to do without it or switch to something less effective.

Retromancer
07-05-11, 09:29 PM
Good question to ask -- especially here in the good ol' US of A.

I am in an awkward place at the moment. My Medicaid has come to an end and I waiting for Medicare to become active in September. So right now I am paying for meds and other medical expenses -- until the total expenditure is approximately $1500. (What is called in the trade a "spend down".)

I just paid $189 for a month's worth of generic extended release Wellbutrin (buproprion). (3 x 150mg x 30) I actually talked the pharmacist down from the price that they charge insurance companies -- over $300. One complication I have is that I have found one manufacturer -- Watson -- works best for me. I am reluctant to shop around if I am not certain about which manufacturer the pharmacy has in stock.

I was also taking generic Adderall, which both me and my physician have decided is not cost effective at this time.

I am fairly certain that manufacturer discounts only apply for name brand medications.

StoicNate
07-05-11, 10:50 PM
Costco Pharmacy is great for getting generic medication for the least amount of money without insurance.

You can use their pharmacy without any Costco membership.

selita
07-05-11, 11:13 PM
I've been taking Biphentin which costs me... erg ... roughly $80 a month... Biphentin is actually cheaper than Adderall, but not at 1 1/2 capsules a day. I'm going to see if my doctor will give me generic MPH for boosters. I might switch right over to generic. I said when I started that I didn't like multiple doses when I was a teen... and she seems to have taken that as LAW... but being an adult with my ADD more or less under control I think it'd be alright.

That might be OK but Flovent (for asthma) costs about $40 per month as well. I might have to drop it... Then there's antihistamines, vitamins, Advil, an new Salbutamol inhaler every few months. And then the dentist ($130/6 months) and I really need new glasses ($80 for exam, maybe $300 for glasses themselves).

Oh and I owe the doctor $25 for that appointment I missed.

Every time I mention I have no insurance and need to find something cheaper my doctor doesn't seem to notice. She also treats my mom, who has excellent insurance, and when I was a kid I was covered by it... but not anymore. Seeing the doctor is free here but meds are not. I'm trying to find out if I qualify for some kind of provincial drug plan. I'm almost certain I do.

It's not really THAT much but it's still $120 a month more than I was paying before. If this is just normalizing and maintaining my base state, I'd hate to see what happens when I actually get SICK.

Retromancer
07-06-11, 12:19 AM
Ironically many Americans shop for their meds in Canada. This may be a long term answer for me. ( It's also a good way to give the finger to Big Pharma. ;) ) Any Yanks on the forum have experience with [legal] cross- border stimulant purchases?

BR549
07-06-11, 02:07 AM
\
I am fairly certain that manufacturer discounts only apply for name brand medications.

Yup, that's true. But it's nice to know it's available when you've exhausted other options and name brand is what you've got left to try.

pedalpounder
07-06-11, 02:21 AM
I really dislike generic Adderall XR. I'm on brand name Adderall XR and the thing costs 7$ a pill. I mean, WOW, isn't Meth cheaper than that?!? Seriously, what's with the price gauging?

Anyway, I'm lucky enough that generic and brand is the same price under my coverage.