View Full Version : Do you think about where your food comes from?

Unmanagable
07-06-11, 02:46 AM
I'd say at least 90% of my diet used to be processed/convenience/whatever is on sale food and only about 10% fresh. Now it's reversed, give or take a little depending on the day/mood/if I've been shopping. :o)

I never really considered the process that food went through prior to arriving on my table. Learning more made me change what I ate, big time. Local and fresh has made a significant difference in how I feel physically and it tastes so much better to me.

I watched a documentary called Food Inc. and read a book by Michael Pollan called "Food Rules: An Eater's Manual" a while back. They sparked my interest in paying more attention to what I use for fuel and totally changed the way, and where, I shop.

Have you made diet changes to include more fresh and local options? Do you grow your own veggies and herbs? What about meat, milk, eggs - do you get them locally?

(Thanks for the inspiration, SB)

pedalpounder
07-06-11, 02:57 AM
I consider myself 98% vegetarian: because I only eat for 30 minutes a day.
I buy gluten by the pound.

Jokes aside, there are two rules I abide by:
1. zero foods with added sugar (chocolate exception applies)
2. No frozen foods (except popsicles, cause I like lame jokes)

pedalpounder
07-06-11, 03:03 AM
Did you know that in some countries (e.g. Sweden), all foods local or imported must be organic? That's what bothers me most... all the crap you're eating you don't know about when you're eating that tomato

SB_UK
07-06-11, 03:05 AM
Absolutely - where it comes from and what's in it.

Currently concentrating on what's in it -
after identifying what can be eaten - the next stop'll be to chase an organic, sustainable supply.

Arriving at an interesting point in the food diary -
- attempting elimination of the nightshade.

The nightshade (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanine) - pepper, tasbaco, cayenne and tomato is the taste ! in the dish I'm eating.

Kaimei
07-06-11, 03:53 AM
Yup. Most of my pre-18 years I was living in one of two places - with my mother & stepdad on a ranch/farm where 99% of our meat was either something we hunted or something we raised, and 99% of our veggies we grew. We also went up into the hills to pick different fruits and berries, did most of our own canning, jellies, etc. Or I was living with my father, waaaaaaay up in the mountains somewhere on a ranger station, hours away from the nearest store and usually close to some kind of agricultural area. Shopping was a once-a-month EVENT and you supplemented what you bought with what you could grow, find, or trade for.

When I first moved into a city, I was like a kid in a candy store. Not only was food EASY to get, but...Lucky Charms? Top Ramen? Woohoo!

However, coming from a rural background, I really abhor factory 'farming' and livestock practices, and I don't like the way I feel on a lot of processed foods. So when I can, yes, I buy organic, local, and I hit the farmer's market before I go anywhere else. Meat, eggs, and dairy are from free-range sources. If I could grow more of my own veggies and herbs here, I would, but both my housing and the climate make that prohibitive for me. All I have right now are figs - lots and LOTS of conadria figs. So I trade when I can. (Anybody want some? Please?)

I feel better, I'm healthier, and I don't have migraines every other %#$@ing day, either.