View Full Version : Don't know what to eat anymore..!

littleone
07-07-11, 02:29 PM
I have so many food intolerances that I don't really know what to eat anymore. The doctors can't find anything why I can't eat it but I get stomachache and I get sick after eating:
-Fast Food
-Sweets
-Food that contains much sugar or fat or is.
-Milk products (although I don't have a lactose intolerance)
-Drinks that contain carbon dioxid
-I get migraine from coffee and orange juice (is that normal???)
-Food that is very spicy or sour.
-Frozen products like lasagne or pizza.

Does anyone have similar experiences or any suggestions on what to eat?

StoicNate
07-07-11, 02:35 PM
I think you should try eating baked chicken or turkey and water or wine?
How about beef?

pechemignonne
07-29-11, 02:28 AM
Sounds to me like IBS, but don't take my word for it, bring it up with your doctor.

The problem with IBS is that it's one of those things where they eliminate everything else first, there is no way to diagnose it on it's own, no blood test or scan or whatever. So it can take awhile before you know what is really wrong.

I also cannot eat dairy (or *should* not, I should say) but it is the casein that I react to, not the lactose. After being diagnosed with lactose intolerance when I was 11 (by a doctor who hadn't even seen me), it was validating to find out why the pills didn't seem to help and the special milk still made me sick.

Also the following makes me sick:
fast food
anything too fatty or sugary
caffeine- coffee especially
very spicy food (my favorite kind)
raw vegetables
beans
anything in the cabbage family (broccoli, etc.)
garlic and onion

I think I might also benefit from cutting out gluten- so anything made from flour, from bread and pasta to cakes and cookies would be out. They sell gluten-free substitutes, but they are really really expensive.

When I am feeling really bad I stick to rice, white rice even. I sometimes only eat that, flavored with a tbsp of marg or oil and some mild spices- some chicken bouillon powder and powdered (or better yet fresh) ginger is a favorite of mine, particularly if the ginger is fresh because that is very good for the stomach.

Bananas, bananas, bananas. Make sure they're ripe. And applesauce. These are what are called "soluble fibres", and if when you say "sick" you mean poo-poo problems, soluble fibres are your friend. I try to make sure I have lots of these in the house at all times.

Otherwise I eat as much as possible things like steamed root vegetables (beets, sweet potato, etc.) or squash, spinach or something else green that is not a cabbage-relative (Chard, not Kale). I flavor a lot with spices and such, and I do use fats, just not a ton. I can't eat tasteless food.

Another fine grain is quinoa. I love it. Just make sure you rinse it really, really well, particularly if you buy it in bulk. It has a natural pest-deterrent coating that tastes almost soapy if you don't get rid of it. That done, tho, it cooks up in twenty minutes or less, is a whole grain, and tastes almost sweet and a little nutty.

That's especially for if you are avoiding wheat flour, as I am. Otherwise you can do regular pasta or bread, etc.

Leaner meats, like chicken breast and pork, are the only meats I eat. I should eat fish, but I don't like the taste. Beef I cannot digest at all.

I also take Metamucil thrice daily, when I'm being good. Metamucil (not Benefiber!) is made from psyllium husks, soluble fiber extraordinaire. Take with a couple glasses of water. Soluble fibers are like gel when digested, so they even out the situation: it will solidify that which is runny and soften that which is hard, if you know what I mean.

I also drink lots of teas: ginger tea and peppermint tea, chamomile and rooibos are just some of the tummy-calming teas I use.

PM me for specific recipe ideas if this sounds up your alley...