View Full Version : early awakinig with xanax

alkalineashes
07-10-11, 01:45 PM
I hope my body is not this sensative but I just started takin .25 xanax again for sleep and two nites in a row ive woken up at 3,which is about 6 hours after i went to bed and about the amount of time xanax works.. I tried halcion once but it scares me to death as I see it as double xanax, which chemically it pretty much is. AHH I need some structure in my life...

Amtram
07-10-11, 04:52 PM
I will take xanax for sleep, too, and I split mine with a pill splitter and take a half dose if I wake up in the middle of the night.

alkalineashes
07-13-11, 06:29 PM
I will take xanax for sleep, too, and I split mine with a pill splitter and take a half dose if I wake up in the middle of the night.
thanks for the tip, ill try if problems continue. Luckily I haven't needed it every nite

FranticFrummie
08-15-11, 05:42 AM
They make an extended release Xanax (XR). I'm going to ask my doc to try me on it. I love regular Xanax, but it comes on too strong for me, and doesn't last very long. You might want to look into it.

sarahsweets
08-15-11, 07:07 AM
I didn't know xanax was for sleep! Its really short acting so its probably way out of your system by the time your up again unless its a tolerance issue.

kolaborator
08-26-11, 01:53 AM
I sometimes have the same exact problem with regular Zolpidem (Ambien), and Zolpidem is a nonbenzodiazepine (doesn't anyone find it funny that benzodiazepine-like drugs are called nonbenzodiazepines because to me that makes absolutely no sense) so I assume it is for similar reasons.

From what I read, the Middle-of-the-night insomnia(MOTN) is due to the very short half-life of Zolpidem or Xanax, and after prolonged use your body adjusts its sleep patterns based to the presence of the drug in your body.

I do not recall exactly, but I think it has something to do with the body starting to triggering seratonin activity too early i.e. before you wake up. The best advice I can give you is to take a small amount of melatonin with the Xanax before going to sleep. Even 3mg should be enough.