View Full Version : Anyone here use the Law of Attraction or other Holistic Approach to Change..

80S FAN
07-11-11, 04:21 AM
I personally feel a change for the better since I have been more in touch with my Spiritual self,Getting in touch with the Man upstairs and using law of attraction = Praying or Requesting for change in my life in the positive.

My undiagnosed ADD was causing me some deep depression awhile ago

not knowing what was going wrong with me, with the unknown adhd
symptoms only caused more probs including anxiety.

told myself....yup im gonna lose it soon.

Adapted an intrest in Holistics, feng shui, power of positive thinking, law of attraction,

adapted some of these things into my thinking psyche, and feel it helped alot

still have ADD but feel much more positive and in control of my Emotions
and allthough I have crappy days like all of us, I feel drasticly better than before. and more centered and balanced.

Since it seems us ADHD gifted people are deep thinkers, wondered what others thoughts were on this and if we have others doing the same?

Anybody being positive and noticing changes in your mental ,physical ,or materialistic ,world?

and yes....im a Californian...and Berkley aint to far away folks. :)
sorry.....not a hippie (Moms generation) not mine

I honestly believe keeping it positive as much as possible can make changes ..and if we all support eachother...good things will happen.

Abi
07-11-11, 07:19 AM
YES,

APSJ is an expert at that stuff, as well as "The Secret", phrenology, divination, etc.

gerwin
07-11-11, 07:23 AM
I am right now working on it.

My background in Holistic massage and Reiki is an advantage.
i'm not letting my life revolve around these methods, but they can help you through difficult times by meditation/ touch therapy or massage.

ADDisme2010
07-11-11, 09:36 AM
Have done some of this...surprisingly good results. A once a month massage works wonders for me, physically and mentally...and on the other 29 days of the month I use my massage chair and inversion table!
Other things that have worked...changing my diet drastically to whole foods, cutting out almost all processed foods. Cutting back on sugars/soda. Staying away from anything with chemicals/artificial colors as much as possible.
Loved "The Secret"...was a skeptic, tried it and it definately works.

kilted_scotsman
07-11-11, 12:36 PM
I'm finding meditation and a few other "alternative things", massage, dancing, simple dietary changes and mantras have helped me enormously. It does however pay to be sceptical.... the essence of loving and looking after yourself while becoming both self aware and aware of the world and ones place in it is a positive force.

In my view it's important to be curious and sceptical when experimenting with this stuff. some stuff definately works but paying to learn/listening to the pseudo-scientific explanations about why it works fries the brain...... and lightens your wallet to a frightening degree.

Stuff like "The Secret", the Power of Attraction, the Law of Manifestation is 99% bull****, 89% marketing and 0.0001% luck.

I read an interesting article on meta-belief......how ones belief in ones belief is more powerful than the actual "truth/logic/sense/" of what one actually believed in. If one believed in something that was aimed at "helping" oneself and other then this gave purpose to life and benefit to the believer.

The flip side was that the more firmly a nonsensical belief was held the nastier the reckoning if reality intruded.

kilted

bruukswuzheer
07-11-11, 02:10 PM
The Silva Mind Control Method has been the most effective & direct tool for me to "be in charge" of what I believe, think & create with my mind. Phenomenal.

Bluerose
07-11-11, 02:26 PM
It’s working for me too.

Our thoughts, positive and negative, create our reality.

The quality of your thoughts determine the quality of your life.

If you want to change your life then change what you are thinking.

demfabbones
07-11-11, 03:48 PM
I think deepening your spirtuality in any way, whatever that means to you, can work wonders. I try to work on it but often sort of "forget" until I'm laying in bed at night...my goal is to start doing some meditating/devotionals/prayer/yoga/etc early in the day so I can use it to actually impact my day.

I am always skeptical of people who try to make money off of spirituality, but not skeptical of the power of spirituality itself.

Trooper Keith
07-11-11, 11:16 PM
It’s working for me too.

This isn't quite the understanding Epictetus was aiming for, but to each his or her own.

Trooper Keith
07-11-11, 11:56 PM
I personally feel a change for the better since I have been more in touch with my Spiritual self,Getting in touch with the Man upstairs and using law of attraction = Praying or Requesting for change in my life in the positive.

These are two very separate concepts, and to a degree contradictory. Praying has a proposed mechanism of action, that is, the Divine Origin interceding in the motion of the Cosmos on your behalf. There's something that's expected here. It's presumptuous, but there's a desired cause to a desired effect, and it's reasonable.

The law of attraction thing, however, makes little sense. There is no proposed mechanism for good thoughts leading to good things happening to you. I would say that there is the idea that if you are a happy, nice person then people will be inclined to be nice and understanding towards you, but that doesn't stay in the spirit of the idea that somehow thinking good things causes good things.

There is a huge difference between asking the Prime Mover to intercede (in which case He is the cause of the effect) and the idea that by your thoughts you can influence the Universe. One acknowledges divine power, and one presumes that one has the capacity to affect matter by thought, which is not entirely reasonable.

My undiagnosed ADD was causing me some deep depression awhile ago

not knowing what was going wrong with me, with the unknown adhd
symptoms only caused more probs including anxiety.

told myself....yup im gonna lose it soon.

That sucks quite a bit. I don't know that it's fair to blame this on undiagnosed ADHD, but it certainly is no good.

Adapted an intrest in Holistics, feng shui, power of positive thinking, law of attraction,

Let me ask you how this works? I mean, "holistics" is a meaningless word, it simply means looking at an entire picture. Doctors of osteopathy, for example, utilize a holistic approach, as do many mental health counselors, psychologists, and so on. In its expanded form, it refers to the mind-spirit-body triad, but while this is an extremely important functional model, it's not in and of itself a philosophy. Feng Shui is a comprehensive idealization of aesthetics and the flow and movement of energy, and I think that it's certainly got merit, so I'm wondering how you've adapted it?

The power of positive thinking and law of attraction, however, strike me as hogwash. I do not see how there is a reasonable way to assume that your thoughts can influence the behaviors of others. Remember, things that happen to you are a result of other agents, people, usually, who have their own free will. If your positive thinking can cause them to act such that they benefit you more, then you are impugning their free will, which I contend is the greatest immoral act. If, in fact, the "power of positive thinking" is real, and works as advertised, then it is a method for manipulating the behaviors of others and diminishing their freedom to act negatively towards you, and I hold that this is extremely unethical.

As for the law of attraction, my only question is, other than what I said before about happy people eliciting happiness in others, what is the mechanism?

still have ADD but feel much more positive and in control of my Emotions
and allthough I have crappy days like all of us, I feel drasticly better than before. and more centered and balanced.

Please don't take my criticism of your ideas as my wanting to diminish this benefit you're seeing. I find it very comforting to acknowledge the Divine, and would not want to reduce your happiness.

Since it seems us ADHD gifted people are deep thinkers,

First of all, what the **** is this "ADHD gifted people" claptrap?

Secondly, what evidence do you have that people with ADHD are deep thinkers? Given the content and depth of this thread so far, I wouldn't consider this thread a strong example. Blindly touting the lessons of others with regard to positive thinking, laws of attraction, "The Secret," and so on is not deep thought. Not everything "fringe" or "spiritual" entails deep thinking. A belief that positive thinking can affect the movement and machinations of the Universe does not a philosopher make.

wondered what others thoughts were on this and if we have others doing the same?

Sharing them now. =]

Anybody being positive and noticing changes in your mental ,physical ,or materialistic ,world?

Bear in mind that correlation does not imply causation, and that your "being positive" more than likely indicates a shift of your own perception of the world (that is, cognitively framing things in a more positive light) than it indicates your ability to influence the motion of the Cosmos by your mind's power alone.

I honestly believe keeping it positive as much as possible can make changes ..and if we all support eachother...good things will happen.

This is true, but not for any of the reasons you've asserted.

Bluerose
07-12-11, 06:39 AM
This isn't quite the understanding Epictetus was aiming for, but to each his or her own.

It's from The Master Key System by Charles F Haanel. Read it free online here -

http://www.psitek.net/pages/PsiTekTMKSContents.html

80S FAN
07-12-11, 06:55 PM
These are two very separate concepts, and to a degree contradictory. Praying has a proposed mechanism of action, that is, the Divine Origin interceding in the motion of the Cosmos on your behalf. There's something that's expected here. It's presumptuous, but there's a desired cause to a desired effect, and it's reasonable.

The law of attraction thing, however, makes little sense. There is no proposed mechanism for good thoughts leading to good things happening to you. I would say that there is the idea that if you are a happy, nice person then people will be inclined to be nice and understanding towards you, but that doesn't stay in the spirit of the idea that somehow thinking good things causes good things.

There is a huge difference between asking the Prime Mover to intercede (in which case He is the cause of the effect) and the idea that by your thoughts you can influence the Universe. One acknowledges divine power, and one presumes that one has the capacity to affect matter by thought, which is not entirely reasonable.

That sucks quite a bit. I don't know that it's fair to blame this on undiagnosed ADHD, but it certainly is no good.

Let me ask you how this works? I mean, "holistics" is a meaningless word, it simply means looking at an entire picture. Doctors of osteopathy, for example, utilize a holistic approach, as do many mental health counselors, psychologists, and so on. In its expanded form, it refers to the mind-spirit-body triad, but while this is an extremely important functional model, it's not in and of itself a philosophy. Feng Shui is a comprehensive idealization of aesthetics and the flow and movement of energy, and I think that it's certainly got merit, so I'm wondering how you've adapted it?

The power of positive thinking and law of attraction, however, strike me as hogwash. I do not see how there is a reasonable way to assume that your thoughts can influence the behaviors of others. Remember, things that happen to you are a result of other agents, people, usually, who have their own free will. If your positive thinking can cause them to act such that they benefit you more, then you are impugning their free will, which I contend is the greatest immoral act. If, in fact, the "power of positive thinking" is real, and works as advertised, then it is a method for manipulating the behaviors of others and diminishing their freedom to act negatively towards you, and I hold that this is extremely unethical.

As for the law of attraction, my only question is, other than what I said before about happy people eliciting happiness in others, what is the mechanism?

Please don't take my criticism of your ideas as my wanting to diminish this benefit you're seeing. I find it very comforting to acknowledge the Divine, and would not want to reduce your happiness.

First of all, what the **** is this "ADHD gifted people" claptrap?

Secondly, what evidence do you have that people with ADHD are deep thinkers? Given the content and depth of this thread so far, I wouldn't consider this thread a strong example. Blindly touting the lessons of others with regard to positive thinking, laws of attraction, "The Secret," and so on is not deep thought. Not everything "fringe" or "spiritual" entails deep thinking. A belief that positive thinking can affect the movement and machinations of the Universe does not a philosopher make.

Sharing them now. =]

Bear in mind that correlation does not imply causation, and that your "being positive" more than likely indicates a shift of your own perception of the world (that is, cognitively framing things in a more positive light) than it indicates your ability to influence the motion of the Cosmos by your mind's power alone.

This is true, but not for any of the reasons you've asserted.

Keith, Hi and thank you for the detailed response to my post

Ill try to answer some of the points you make reference to.

I see you are a young psychologist

I am a older than you streetwise guy

lets see if we can find common ground.

I am in no way an expert in Religion, Metaphysicis,or Alternative western medical stuff, but ill try to explain in laymans terms (regular Joe language) my thoughts on it. please excuse the spelling errors :)

I Believe in God Almighty. I ask for help when I am in need of it (Prayer)

Sometimes prayers are answered, sometimes not, when not, I feel there is a reason for it, lesson to be learned..not the right time...ect.

Since The Good LORD gave man "FREE WILL", whats to stop HIM from
giving us the choice to decide on which destiny we would like?

kinda like...would you like whats behind door number 1 door number 2 or door number 3? you decide. be rich and have stress responsibillities and help others financially, or be poor and happy being a hippie making friends
not having rent tax family stress and helping others out supporting them with friendship. or be someone in the middle ? get it?

Matthew 7:7-8
“Ask and it will be given you; Seek and you will find; Knock and it will be opened to you.
For everyone who asks receives, And he who seeks finds, And to him who knocks It will be opened”

Phillippians 4:8
"What you think upon grows"

p.s. GOD controls the universe, its just an extention of him, as everything is.
you may say, why not directly ask him for stuff u want.

Because would you ask God for a Cigarette? no...too petty to ask for
I will ask the clerk at the store for it. the clerk is a extension and tool of
the LORDS.

I dont ask the universe directly for things, i just wish good things and focus on them. universe (GOD)to me, makes it all happen (unless HE has a different destiny for me.

by the way, I do not agree and trust with many of the Law of atraction GURUs who take it a step up and zonk out and talk to Entities .(SCARY) and some
folks are strange out there too. but then again, I am percived to be a strange as well by others too. thats why I like to keep this stuff private, only
mentioning it in detail, cause you put me on the spot.

You mention it may not be fair to blame my past depression on ADHD

I Blame it totally, Cause my being forgetfull and late all the time and not being able to sort paperwork, screwed me up financially and caused a lot
more too.

on holistics. just a keyword, I agree for natural mind body spirit stuff.

the feng shui adaption, is simple, displace negative energy flow with positive energy. everything is created from matter and energy.

keep my home organized and feng shui friendly and notice it works,
dont know everything about it, but it uses same aspects of law of attraction, good energy flow attracts good energy, bad energy flow attracts bad energy.
I dont do the whole gamut of feng shui , just some basic simple rules of it

you ask What Evidence I have that ADD people are deep thinkers.

plenty! you! you are a deep thinker with the questions you ask for one.
Many common traits we share with add or adhd is too many thoughts in our mind at one time. always deep thinking..hyperfocusing ...deep thinking
always questioning whats up with us, why are we diffrent...deep thinking.

guess there could be a few non adhd deep thinkers out there too?
lets test it out..

ANY NON DEEP THINKERS OUT THERE!! GIVE US A HOLLA! OR COMMENT?!

you ask about the ADHD GIFT.
I always mention it as a sarcastic funny way "Our Gift"
somebody sugarcoated our brain dysfuncion into a gift one day to make us feel better i Guess.
we are supposed to have superpowers..like hyperfocusing projects and thinking outside the box and being creative (THE GIFT)

You ever see the movie RAINMAN? he was mentally challenged and had a gift of countinga boxfull of toothpicks as they fell to the ground.

p.s. you thought it unethical and questioned how someone could change anothers reaction to them by law of attraction.

funny how thruout history till present day the leaders of the world maniacs
mass killers thieves bad presidents and others influenced and charmed others into believing they were heroes.

did anybodys ex wife or boyfriend girlfriend influence you to not seeing them for what they were,but what you thought they were and you got attracted to them?

then again, maybe you are not changing their free will, and it was DESTINY all the time that u thought you controlled it.

80S FAN
07-12-11, 08:10 PM
just a note about the comment I said about strange folks.

in my opinion, strange means not understood.
once things are understood, they are not strange.

I am open minded about a lot of things, and like to understand what i dont know or percive as strange.

I have friends and know people who are of diffrent faiths religions, Muslim,Buddists, Pagans, Athiests, ect. Most are good people . (Benifits of Living in Open minded California)

so did not mean it to sound disrespectfull to others with diffrent belief systems.

even to the ones who zonk out and speak to entities (Channel the universal conscience) whos to know?. maybe i dont understand it at this point and later might?

Trooper Keith
07-13-11, 01:13 AM
Keith, Hi and thank you for the detailed response to my post

Ill try to answer some of the points you make reference to.

I see you are a young psychologist

I am a older than you streetwise guy

lets see if we can find common ground.

I reckon we can, I'd not be a very good young psychologist (though to be perfectly honest I am but a student) if I couldn't at least seek middle ground.

I am in no way an expert in Religion, Metaphysicis,or Alternative western medical stuff, but ill try to explain in laymans terms (regular Joe language) my thoughts on it. please excuse the spelling errors :)

Fair deal. I'm not a theologian, either (though my mother is). Neither am I a philosopher. So while I have a good grasp over the language of philosophy and theology, I too am in no way an expert.

I Believe in God Almighty. I ask for help when I am in need of it (Prayer)

I believe in a Prime Mover, a driving force behind the Universe that through Love created it and through Will drives it into existence.

Sometimes prayers are answered, sometimes not, when not, I feel there is a reason for it, lesson to be learned..not the right time...ect.

When so, I find it is the Will of the Divine, when not, I feel it is also the Will of the Divine. After all, we're not the only ones who pray. So here is some common ground, which both agree that the Great Designer has a design that sometimes coalesces with our own desires, and sometimes does not.

Since The Good LORD gave man "FREE WILL", whats to stop HIM from
giving us the choice to decide on which destiny we would like?

That's exactly the trouble, though. If man has Free Will, and every man has it, then every conflict must result in a decision of the Divine as to what should happen. If there is a decision on the part of the Divine, then the outcome has not been freely decided. However, if the clashing of interests pits only man versus man, then there is no interference from the Divine and so no impingement of free will.

Essentially, as soon as the One takes a side, free will is no longer in play.

kinda like...would you like whats behind door number 1 door number 2 or door number 3? you decide. be rich and have stress responsibillities and help others financially, or be poor and happy being a hippie making friends
not having rent tax family stress and helping others out supporting them with friendship. or be someone in the middle ? get it?

I don't, but then, I was born into privilege. I don't think stress and responsibility is exclusive to the middle and upper classes though, and I think it denigrates the struggle made by the working class to imply that one has only these two options.

“Ask and it will be given you; Seek and you will find; Knock and it will be opened to you.
For everyone who asks receives, And he who seeks finds, And to him who knocks It will be opened”

I'm not a Christian, and not particularly interested in these quotes.

p.s. GOD controls the universe, its just an extention of him, as everything is.
you may say, why not directly ask him for stuff u want.

Amusingly, if you are a panentheist (meaning that you believe all things exist within God and are part of him) then you're not exactly a Christian, either. I certainly ask God for things I want, but I do so without any expectation of achieving those things, because I am insignificant. To believe oneself important enough for the intercession of the Almighty in trivial affairs, and to expect such intercession, borders on delusional.

Because would you ask God for a Cigarette? no...too petty to ask for
I will ask the clerk at the store for it. the clerk is a extension and tool of
the LORDS.

If I needed a bogue I may very well ask that God find some way to provide me one. However, I would not ask such if I felt that would require God to interfere with the Will of others. That is, if God were to make someone bump me a cig who wasn't willing to do so previously, then God has interfered with his or her free will. If he or she decides not to bump me a smoke then I'm unsure of any divine intervention.

I dont ask the universe directly for things, i just wish good things and focus on them. universe (GOD)to me, makes it all happen (unless HE has a different destiny for me.

The question I posed is, how does wishing good things can focusing on them bring about those good things? If it brings them about via the manipulations of the wills of others, then it is not acknowledging that others, too, have free will. I suppose my problem with your position lies in that it doesn't acknowledge that others have free will which equally "counts" in the Eyes of the Supreme Being, and so your prayers, if they affect other's at all, may be manipulative.

I find myself too tired to respond to the rest of the post. I'll continue tomorrow.

80S FAN
07-13-11, 02:55 PM

I'm not a Christian, and not particularly interested in these quotes.

I certainly ask God for things I want, but I do so without any expectation of achieving those things, because I am insignificant. To believe oneself important enough for the intercession of the Almighty in trivial affairs, and to expect such intercession, borders on delusional.

If I needed a bogue I may very well ask that God find some way to provide me one. However, I would not ask such if I felt that would require God to interfere with the Will of others. That is, if God were to make someone bump me a cig who wasn't willing to do so previously, then God has interfered with his or her free will. If he or she decides not to bump me a smoke then I'm unsure of any divine intervention.

The question I posed is, how does wishing good things can focusing on them bring about those good things? If it brings them about via the manipulations of the wills of others, then it is not acknowledging that others, too, have free will. I suppose my problem with your position lies in that it doesn't acknowledge that others have free will which equally "counts" in the Eyes of the Supreme Being, and so your prayers, if they affect other's at all, may be manipulative.

I find myself too tired to respond to the rest of the post. I'll continue tomorrow.

Keith, I am enjoying the Dialogue,

Im a bit tired to write too, but ill give it a bit more.

The Bible quotes I referenced were to support Law of attraction, not to preach.

My Mistakenly thinking you were referencing Divinity on a Christian level and Law of Attraction not going hand in hand with each other, I wanted to quote some examples of passages I found from law of attraction practitioners that can make it o.k. to use law of attraction while being a Christian.

I am guessing you might be referencing the Grand Architect Of The Universe
G.a.o.t.u? Supreme Being, Following Hiram?

which if so, is interesting to me as well,

you mentioned the following:

" I certainly ask God for things I want, but I do so without any expectation of achieving those things, because I am insignificant. To believe oneself important enough for the intercession of the Almighty in trivial affairs, and to expect such intercession, borders on delusional. "

I respect your being humble, great quality
The part where you say about asking things but not expecting things from the creator I agree with.

I would only ask something from the CREATOR when I am in need of something really important and not materialistic,

Smaller things I can wish and hope for and maybe fate, destiny, the universe, Karma, extensions of the CREATOR will grant.

the thing about manipulating others free will is a tough question, but I got ideas. that will borderline on the Insane!

for example, lets say I wish for a Dollar, somebody loses a dollar ,I find it on the street. im happy, other guys sad. but a week later guy gets a new job with a raise and is happy again!. it all works out for every one.

I meet a girl who does not like me, using law of attraction, & positive thinking she likes me!
we live happily ever after. I did not change her free will, I changed
the part of me she did not like?!

I wish for a new job, boss fires someone else, guy jumps off a bridge.
maybe was his fate? maybe he would have did it anyway. maybe it was karma getting him back, maybe in his next life he will be a happy man?.

how could that be fair? maybe in your reality he jumped, maybe in his he didnt. maybe everybody you know is not real only a test
(sorry guys, I watch a lot of crazy sci-fi tv and movies over the years.)

what im trying to say keith is I dont have all the answers, would love to
but even the pros dont know it all.

But I do what works for me, and wanted to find out if it works for others.

I can implement my Belief system with many aspects of alternate Holistic type lifestyle.

as long as they do not directly interfere with my Belief system, I am cool with it .

I follow what feels good to me,and what works for me. I learn as I go along, always reinventing myself and, trying to keep an open mind to things.

P.s. I dont do alot of Religious and Holistic talk and debating in real life,
But it was this or me posting another funny on the the" Dont say Anything" thread at the forum with the crude lame humor

blissfulmermaid
07-14-11, 01:15 AM
I love the law of attraction. it works for me. the Abraham series Channeled by Esther Hicks is amazing!

blissfulmermaid
07-14-11, 01:16 AM
3rd degree reiki person here :)

Kunga Dorji
07-17-11, 04:01 AM
It’s working for me too.

A couple of significant quotes here

"What we are today is the product of our thoughts and deeds of yesterday.
If a man speaks or acts with an unclear mind suffering will follow as surely as the wheel follows the hoof of the beast that draws the cart"
Dhammapada

"If we think of ourselves as weak or stupid, that is surely what we will become"
Lama Choedak Rinpoche.

There is a much longer quote by Ghandi, I think, about thoughts becoming habits, becoming temperaments, becoming fixed patterns of personality.

I think the biggest skill that needs to be learned in positive thinking is to always leave the door open to the hope of greater improvement in the future.

I have done better in overcoming my ADHD symptoms than most- and I think that one of the keys to this success was never assuming that the deficits of difficulties I had were fixed. Instead I looked at the deficits as isolated items that were each in themselves trainable.

However if I had not stepped outside the scientific consensus and assumed it was wrong I would not have believed the improvements possible, and would not have tried so hard.

I think positive thinking is not much good unless it is coupled with a clear strategy. I certainly do not think one can think oneself rich- just like that for instance.

A concrete example of the way positive thinking works is this:

I have been assuming attention is trainable- and interested in the idea of training attention, and reading widely.

What this means is that I am sensitised to information relevant to the task- and stuff that would have gone past me and been forgotten now catches my attention and hooks me in.

This does not mean it cannot be viewed from the spiritual dimension, but it does mean that there is a concrete aspect to it too.
From the spiritual point of view Buddhists act on the assumption that our goal is to become fully realised Buddhas- and that potential is innate in all of us. That is a very helpful working hypothesis to adopt- it pushes all of your thoughts and motivation in a productive direction.

Kunga Dorji
07-17-11, 04:11 AM
Now I have had a good number of serious debates with Trooper Keith about proof of this and proof of that.

I have come to the conclusion that these debates are unproductive, and simply draw myself away from my path of positive thinking and acceptance of the many gifts of creativity and sensitivity that come with my attention difference mind, so have decided not to entangle myself in them any longer. Those who do not believe in them, need not believe.

I will say though- that the difference in my life since I have adopted a path of positive thinking, and acceptance of my existence as a spiritual being having a human experience is clear cut. The difference can be seen in my smile, in my digestion, in my blood pressure, in the ease with which I relate to my loved ones and the warmth of their response in return.

To those who beg for proof- I put out the challenge-- have the courage to act without proof, but with a little common sense to balance your positive thinking, and observe the results of your own actions with a clear and analytical mind.

Bluerose
07-17-11, 08:02 AM
In every great teaching, culture and religion, a central principle is the power of our thoughts to build the life we desire.

These people said it a lot better than I ever could.

Welcome to my world.

Scared?

"I think, therefore I am." ~ Descartes

"A thought is an idea in transit." ~ Pythagoras

"They can because they think they can." ~ Virgil

"For as a man thinketh in his heart so is he." ~ Proverbs 23:7

"Be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind." ~ Romans 12:2

"Our life is what our thoughts make it." ~ Marcus Aurelius Antonius

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." ~ Shakespeare

"The universe begins to look more like a great thought than like a great machine." ~ Sir James Jeans

"Be vigilant; guard your mind against negative thoughts." ~ Prince Gautama Siddharta

"A belief is not merely an idea the mind possesses; it is an idea that possesses the mind." ~ Robert Bolton

"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think a negative thought." ~ Peace Pilgrim

"Be not afraid of life. Believe that life is worth living and your belief will help create the fact." ~ William James

"You are today where your thoughts have brought you; you will be tomorrow where your thoughts take you." ~ James Allen

"Mind is the master weaver, both of the inner garment of character and the outer garment of circumstance." ~ James Allen

"When you rule your mind you rule your world. When you choose your thoughts you choose results." ~ Imelda Shanklin

"The significant problems we face today cannot be solved on the same level of thinking we were at when we created them." ~ Albert Einstein

"The person who sends out positive thoughts activates the world around him positively and draws back to himself positive results." ~ Norman Vincent Peale

"Our life is what our thoughts make it. A man will find that as he alters his thoughts toward things and other people, things and other people will alter towards him." ~ James Allen

"The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts: therefore, guard accordingly, and take care that you entertain no notions unsuitable to virtue and reasonable nature." ~ Marcus Aurelius

"Reality is not so much what happens to us; rather, it is how we think about those events that create the reality we experience. In a very real sense, this means that we each create the reality in which we live." ~ Dr. Albert Ellis

"It is not the events but our viewpoint toward events that is the determining factor. We ought to be more concerned about removing wrong thoughts from the mind than removing tumours and abscesses from the body." ~ Epictetus

"What this power is, I cannot say. All I know is that it exists…and it becomes available only when you are in that state of mind in which you know exactly what you want…and are fully determined not to quit until you get it." ~ Alexander Graham Bell

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his own intelligence." ~ Albert Einstein

"The world we see that seems so insane is the result of a belief system that is not working. To perceive the world differently, we must be willing to change our belief system, let the past slip away, expand our sense of now, and dissolve the fear in our minds." ~ Gerald G. Jampolsky

"Mind is the master-power that moulds and makes, and man is Mind, and ever more he takes the tool of thought, and shaping what he wills, brings forth a thousand joys, or a thousand ills. He thinks in secret and it comes to pass; Environment is but his looking-glass." ~ James Allen

"To think health when surrounded by the appearances of disease or to think riches when in the midst of the appearances of poverty requires power, but whoever acquires this power becomes a mastermind. That person can conquer fate and can have what he or she wants." ~ Wallace D.Wattles

"All that we are is the result of what we have thought; it is founded on our thoughts; it is made up of our thoughts. A man’s life is the direct result of his thoughts… We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts we make the world." ~ Gautama Siddhartha (Buddha)

"We lift ourselves by our thought, we climb upon our vision of ourselves. If you want to enlarge your life, you must first enlarge your thought of it and of yourself. Hold the ideal of yourself as you long to be, always, everywhere - your ideal of what you long to attain - the ideal of health, efficiency, success.” ~ Orison Swett Marden

"Mind is the creator of everything. You should therefore guide it to create only good. If you cling to a certain thought with dynamic will power, it finally assumes a tangible outward form. When you are able to employ your will for constructive purposes, you become the controller of your destiny." ~ Paramahansa Yogananda

"Just as each plant has its foundation in the hidden soil of the earth, so too are your thoughts based in the inner part of yourself… By learning what goes into creating within the inner part of your mind and what the process of growth is for your thoughts, you can learn how to make your thoughts stronger and healthier, and enrich your existence." ~ Brad Jensen

"The soul attracts that which it secretly harbours; that which it loves, and also that which it fears; it reaches the height of its cherished aspirations; it falls to the level of its un-chastened desires. Every thought-seed sown or allowed to fall into the mind, and to take root there, produces its own, blossoming sooner or later into act, and bearing its own furtive of opportunity and circumstance. Good thoughts bear good fruit; bad thought, bad fruit." ~ James Allen

"Our subconscious minds have no sense of humour, play no jokes and cannot tell the difference between reality and an imagined thought or image. What we continually think about eventually will manifest in our lives. The first order of business of anyone who wants to enjoy success in all areas of his/her life is to take charge of the internal dialogue they have and only think, say and behave in a manner consistent with the results they truly desire." ~ Sidney Madwed

Trooper Keith
07-17-11, 01:44 PM
In every great teaching, culture and religion, a central principle is the power of our thoughts to build the life we desire.

I disagree. I think that this principle is not universally a central principle. I think many of the older "great teachings" don't specify anything about the "power of our thoughts to build the life we desire." In fact, I defy you to support this assertion in your own words and with your own evidence. I only add that caveat because I reckon you've read that somewhere and would quote that at me, putting me in the uncomfortable position of debating your source and not you.

These people said it a lot better than I ever could.

What this technique is essentially saying is"I can't think for myself or defend my own position so I will spout trite sayings," which I will respond to with a trite saying of my own:

"A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire

However, even if this were a reasonable thing, I am amused to death by the fact that most of the quotes you are using, starting from the very first, are out of context and do not at all support your thesis.

Welcome to my world.

Scared?

I'm not, because I've seen your "world" in every stupid new age gift shop I've ever been in. "Your world" is not exclusively yours, it is not unique, and frankly it is ill founded, poorly crafted pseudo-philosophy. I am certainly not scared, and I'm not even particularly impressed.

"I think, therefore I am." ~ Descartes

For example, this is an excellent example of the irrelevance of your quotations. This statement asserts simply that because someone is engaging in the action of contemplation, they must exist (else they could not engage in such action). It has nothing to do with thoughts shaping realities.

You could've earned some class-points if you'd cited the Latin, by the way.

As for other quotes, most of them are also out of context and do not support what you're trying to say. I'm amused also by the inconsistency. You refer to Albert Ellis as "Dr. Albert Ellis" but not Albert Einstein as "Dr. Albert Einstein." It's almost as if you copy pasted these from some prefabricated search rather than selected them because of their pertinence.

If that is the case, it's really poor form to not cite the website from which you get a huge bulk of your post.

Bluerose
07-18-11, 06:31 AM
Thank you for your response to my post, it has been filed away in the appropriate folder.

Kunga Dorji
07-18-11, 08:13 AM
Thank you for your response to my post, it has been filed away in the appropriate folder.

I'm told that one of the greatest spiritual lessons is the kindness of people who teach us the skill of patience.