View Full Version : ST. J ohns Wart

excel
07-12-11, 03:27 PM
Has anyone tried taking ST. Johns Wart for ADHD or Anxiety?

Abi
07-12-11, 03:31 PM
lol @ spelling

Dont waste your time with all of that.

It hasn't been tested by the FDA. It could have all sorts of interactions tat no one knows about.

This "natural therefore safe" thing is a myth.

Go get Lexapro and Klonopin.

tudorose
07-13-11, 06:05 AM
DON'T mix St John's Wort with antidepressants. Do a Google search on (St John's Wort interactions whatever med you're on).

Dizfriz
07-13-11, 08:00 AM
Has anyone tried taking ST. Johns Wart for ADHD or Anxiety?
This is not a spelling flame, it is just when I saw your title, an image flashed in my mind of a bottle of warts. Kinda like Terry Pratchett's Dried Frog Pills.

It was a unimportant error but it gave me a moment of real pleasure.

Thanks,

Dizfriz

2boyz2girlz468
07-13-11, 09:40 AM
PP are all right, dont mix st johns with antidepressants not a good thing
herbal doesnt always mean better

Abi
07-13-11, 09:55 AM
Hi Excel,

Yeh , no offense intended with the spelling reference. It was just amusing as diz explained.

As a sufferer of bipolar depression and severe generalised anxiety disorder, I strongly reccomend an SSRI or SNRI for the depression and Klonopin for anxiety.

See a psychiatrist. It will be worth your while :)

alkalineashes
07-14-11, 01:01 PM
lol @ spelling

Dont waste your time with all of that.

It hasn't been tested by the FDA. It could have all sorts of interactions tat no one knows about.

This "natural therefore safe" thing is a myth.

Go get Lexapro and Klonopin.
I dont know about all that. FDA only tests meds that are funded and make money. Supplements have their place, Ashwaganda, Ginseng and phospdyl serine are all examples that can produce impressive results. And generally yes they have less side effects and are much easier to taper off than traditional meds. IF you believe you are truly a mess, by all means take strong pharms, but if you have some patience give some natrual supplements a try, as long as you do the research. lexapro and klonopin safe?? Um maybe but they will change you in ways you may not want and good luck coming off

Abi
07-14-11, 01:07 PM
I have GAD and Bipolar Disorder.

Both are chronic conditions.

Barring some miracle brain-laser therapy or something, I have no intention of "coming off"

Jade Sea
07-14-11, 04:16 PM
Hi excel, I'm on my fourth day of St John's Wort. I'm taking it for generalized anxiety and mild depression. So far so good. It balances my emotions nicely, it definitely allows me to focus more on doing things that I want to do instead of how I feel. My dad has also noticed a big difference in how much I'm getting stuff done, says he hasn't seen me so full of energy and keeping busy for a long time.
I think it could possibly benefit you, you'll know very soon if it's having any effects for or not. If you do decide to make sure you get a standardized extract, which is 7 times more effective than St John's Wort herb powder capsules.
As I said I've found it to be a terrific mood stabilizer. St John's Wort slows down the breakdown of serotonin and norepinephrine so it behaves much like an SSRI. It can interact with a number of prescription medications, reducing their effectiveness. I'd recommend consulting your medical practitioner first before taking it if you're concerned about drug interactions.
Good luck.

p.s. I prefer to take natural options (as long as I deem them effective) instead of prescribed meds as much as possible. My depression and anxiety are not that bad so I feel that taking prescription meds is both overkill and a waste of money in my case. Perhaps you need them though.

alkalineashes
07-14-11, 04:35 PM
I have GAD and Bipolar Disorder.

Both are chronic conditions.

Barring some miracle brain-laser therapy or something, I have no intention of "coming off"
ya im rite there with you. well i have a llittle bit of everything. i think I may have borderline pd but my acting out is pretty minimal