View Full Version : Recomended "White Noise" machines

electro
09-06-04, 08:37 AM
Has anyone discovered a reasonably priced white noise machine ?

I have been using a fan in the warm weather - but is is getting colder and will not work for much longer ...

There are many on the market - but they are tres cher.

charlie
09-06-04, 12:14 PM
We bought an alarm clock years ago that is similar to this one @$30.
<http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=13285438>
Noises to choose from: Summer Wind, Babbling Brook, Ocean Surf and Forest Spring.

There is something a little annoying though on the looping/replaying of both the ocean surf and babbling brook though.

I'm also in the market for a new noise machine for the same reason been using a fan for months now.

I could just tell the teen not to make so much noise at night...keep the dogs from barking at skunks, etc.---hah!

Neppy
09-06-04, 12:18 PM
Summer wind... I want that..

charlie
09-06-04, 12:46 PM
It was at Bed and Bath Timex® Triple Alarm Clock Radio with Digital Tuning and Nature Sounds

RmCL
09-06-04, 12:54 PM
We have one that has a crystal ball on top and different colors filter through the top to put colors on the ceiling. There is also the sound option. You hear every thing from waves and seagulls to crickets.

We bought it at Walmart.

rottndobelover
09-06-04, 05:16 PM
I bought one from Homedics that cost about 30 dollars and it works pretty good for me.

sean
09-20-04, 02:09 PM
For those on Macs, you can try this:

URL Removed by ADMIN

exeter
09-20-04, 02:15 PM
You might also get one of those ambient background CD's and play it on a CD player at night. It'd probably run about $20 at the most, most likely more like $12.

I prefer just listening to music at night. :D

ADDvocacy
10-01-04, 09:34 PM
I agree, I have a CD that works wonders! I have also used it at the office when its noisy - I just put on the headphones and the white noise drowns out all the background noise!

electro
10-02-04, 11:11 AM
My concern is that once a buy something after a while the sounds will be so prddictable I will know that is coming next and it will not be "White" noise. Maybe this will be comforting ? Anyone who as bought one have this experience ?

Thanks

J. I. Meeker
03-15-05, 09:43 PM
Does anyone have the names of any titles of CDs that they have found useful.

J. I. Meeker

chinato
03-22-05, 12:16 PM
URL Removed by ADMIN do beautiful music.

Naomi2
02-03-06, 03:35 PM
You can make inexpensive white noise yourself on the computer if you have a CD-R writer or MP3 player to put it onto afterwards.

A program I know of on which you can make it is SoundForge.

I hope this helps.

PS
An audio CD I once tried to write went wrong and didn't get written properly and I got a CD of white/pink/brown noise (not sure which). It sounded like rain! :)

ADDinIllinois
01-21-09, 10:11 PM
I found this one just today because the janitor's vacuum was driving me up the wall. It's simply a web site that provides white noise, and it's working for me!

http://simplynoise.com/

movingshadow
01-25-09, 08:21 AM
I use a big fan 19.95 - even in the winter i just face it to the wall and turn it on - I sleep like a baby.

chowmix
01-25-09, 10:04 PM
I use a big fan 19.95 - even in the winter i just face it to the wall and turn it on - I sleep like a baby.

I have a very small "personal" fan I got at a garage sale for $5 that's clamped to my headboard and points towards the wall as does movingshadow. Doesn't blow much air but it silences everything.

There are air 'purifiers' with a small fan and a filter that make a white noise without too much wind. Amazon has many that are 30$ or so. I used to use one and they were usesless purification purpose but GREAT as a white noise machine. You don't even need the filter.

If you look for white noise machines though, wow, they surely overprice them.

CDRacingZX6R
01-29-09, 10:21 PM
I LOVE white noise machines.

Normally I use my window AC cause it's fairly loud, but my Iphone has a program that has white noise built in and is just loud enough to help drown out the background sound.

I could never sleep without background noise.

auntchris
02-14-09, 05:11 PM
can a person use tv as white noise. I need some kind of background noise.

dormammau2008
02-14-09, 11:05 PM
thats why i do! that!!!!!........most ofve the timeeee with!!! tv abd clacaisc music it helps mreeeeee

dorm

gabrieljosh
06-30-09, 06:53 AM
The technology behind sound masking (http://www.speechprivacysystems.com/pages/What_is_White_Noise) came out of the realization by scientists and engineers that "oral privacy" is actually a simple matter of making speech unintelligible. That is, if each of us can't understand what the other is saying, we have effectively established oral privacy - even though we may still be able to see and, to some extent, hear each other.

scarygreengiant
06-30-09, 09:38 AM
I found this one just today because the janitor's vacuum was driving me up the wall. It's simply a web site that provides white noise, and it's working for me!

http://simplynoise.com/

Thanks for that link! That's exactly what I need. Now I don't have to spend $200 on a white noise machine!

njcat
07-13-09, 09:47 PM
Me too! This simply noise is GREAT!! I will listen to it at work, hopefully it will drown out all the other annoying conversations happening in the office and I will mind my own business instead of jumping in their conversations.

gabrieljosh
07-23-09, 03:58 PM
White noise machines produce a gentle, innocuous sound that helps to drown out noise.

sunnycloud
03-30-10, 03:10 AM
This may not work for everyone, but how about a sea shell. Place your ear to it and it makes you hear white noise.

cosinezero
03-30-10, 01:25 PM
My girlfriend bought a great one so she can sleep with my snoring (hi co-morbitity! How was your restless night of sleep? Great!).

The Marpac Sleepmate. The nice thing about this one is it's tune-able; you can adjust the sound until it's comfortable for you - warmer, softer, fuller. That does have effect on volume so you may need to move it closer or further away to get the right volume and sound.

I actually have always needed some noise to go to sleep by; ultra-quiet is too little distraction for my brain, starts to race and then I'm stuck awake all night. Generally a good fan fit the bill but that was too loud for her. This machine is good for her tho I find it a little quieter than I like... YMMV but it's definitely well made and has good features for something that basically just makes noise.