View Full Version : Mindfulness training, ADHD style

AddaptAbilities
07-13-11, 11:52 PM
Tonight I had my first in an eight week class of mindfulness/CBT training for depression. I definitely felt better after the meditation exercise. My mood was lighter, and I was more relaxed ...

Then, when I drove out of the parking garage, I went the wrong way down a one-way ramp:P. I'm so glad nobody was coming the other way! I had to turn around at the entrance gate (fortunately I have a small car) and the parking attendant looked at me like I was an idiot.

Thought you'd all appreciate the irony.

selita
07-14-11, 12:14 AM
Lol, yeah, mindfulness is a great skill if your mind is up to it ;)

Amtram
07-14-11, 12:15 PM
Yeah, that's been my experience with it as well. Relaxation in savasanah at the end of a couple of hours of yoga was the worst.

Redrightnow
07-14-11, 01:14 PM
Glad to hear it. How did you find the class?

ADDisme2010
07-14-11, 01:55 PM
wow that really IS ironic, thanks for the smile...

Redrightnow
07-14-11, 03:18 PM
Uh, Adapt... I wasn't trying to make commentary on your irony with my "how did you find the class?" question.;)

But I am curious- my city has tons of yoga and meditation type offerings. I don't have the patience to sift thru all of it to find a good one. What did you look for in choosing one?

alongroad
07-21-11, 11:22 AM
I did the 9 week Mindfulness. It has benefits for sure.

The only problem now is the frustration I get because I am aware of my thoughts and actions and behaviours, where as before I didnt notice.

So when I do something "adhd" then I tend to get frustrated as I see how it affects myself and others around me.

MMetelli13
07-21-11, 02:07 PM
Mindfulness comes somewhat easy to me unless it is a social scene; in which I can talk and be friendly yet not know whether or not I am being a pain in the tucus.

shavedfsh
08-04-11, 09:58 PM
doesn't work for ADDers. we are too distractable.

alongroad
08-05-11, 09:48 AM
Based on my 9 weeks.

They did say it would be a challenge for mindfulness to be effective for me.

However, it did do one thing. Helped me be mindful of what may be an issue. Before I never knew WHAT was bothering me (even when someone upsets me, I didnt know exactly what they did or how to say to them don't do it again).

Now i do.

fracturedstory
08-05-11, 08:08 PM

It's certainly harder but it's not impossible. CBT does help me when I have anxious thoughts.

Kunga Dorji
09-12-11, 03:05 AM

This is where the medication can work well- it can set up the basic stability required to get started.

Plus you need a good teacher.
I had been needing 50mg dex daily for 15 months prior to diagnosis- and the need for medication just withered away while I was doing my mindfulness training.
I have been off medication since July last year- and if anything my attention only improves with time.

The science supporting this is coming in. Soon it will be beyond any reasonable dispute.

One of the leaders in this area is Dr Lydia Zylowska- who has been extensively published and is well recognised as an expert on ADHD.
There is plenty of valuable material on her website.
http://www.lidiazylowska.com/

Kunga Dorji
09-12-11, 05:27 AM
Tonight I had my first in an eight week class of mindfulness/CBT training for depression. I definitely felt better after the meditation exercise. My mood was lighter, and I was more relaxed ...

Then, when I drove out of the parking garage, I went the wrong way down a one-way ramp:P. I'm so glad nobody was coming the other way! I had to turn around at the entrance gate (fortunately I have a small car) and the parking attendant looked at me like I was an idiot.

Thought you'd all appreciate the irony.

That is really pretty funny.
However- no matter how good we get- there is always further to go.

I just love it when my wife ( who is highly organised and has a mind like a steel trap) messes something up. It is so normalizing.

There really is an issue with information overload in shops and with road signage. It effects everybody.