View Full Version : Study: Use of ADHD medication soars worldwide

graceful
07-14-11, 04:47 AM
Guess we're not alone. But something is seriously wrong. I don't understand why no one is looking at root causes. Your telling me 1 in 25 children in the U.S. are just born with ADHD? NO REASON whatsoever? I truly believe its an accumulation of all the negative effects of our environment finally affecting our most precious and fragile members of our society. And by environment, I don't solely mean nature. I mean our food, our diet, our air, our water, our furniture, our plastics, our cell phones, our 'everything made out of oil' products, our computers, etc. Why else would we be medicating children as early as 4 years old with powerful antipsychotics. Now doctors are looking into medicating children as early as 1 & 2 years old!

http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2007/03/06_adhd.shtml

Here's the original study...

http://content.healthaffairs.org/content/26/2/450.figures-only?sid=692b774a-ee38-4846-8041-77ae58eca389

Oh, and I came across this interesting article. I'm sure many can relate with Cathy's story and her son Matthew...

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/07/29/Worldandnation/The__atypical__dilemm.shtml

- Grace.

Dizfriz
07-14-11, 09:33 AM
From the Berkley article:

A common misconception is that ADHD only exists in the U.S. and that the pharmaceutical firms are getting bigger sales because of the 'creation' of the disorder in the U.S.," said Hinshaw, who investigates ADHD in children and adolescents. "Yet, cross-cultural research has shown that ADHD exists in all cultures, with increased access to public education a factor in its detection. Clearly, ADHD - which has a substantial genetic liability - is not just a figment of American doctors' imaginations.Did you actually read the article?

Dizfriz

Abi
07-14-11, 09:37 AM
There's GOT to be some loophole in the guidelines(ADDF bible), something in the Gospels of Andi and Andrew, or the Epistles of Eyeforgot, or even the Apocrypha of Chaos, under which this person could be banned.

Come on mods, get creative. :)

iamthestig
07-14-11, 10:08 AM
You Know I'm looking at the user id, and i'm saying "Graceful....it looks so familiar" where did I see it before... and then it hit me.....

Your a member of the Flat Earth Society too....

http://theflatearthsociety.org/cms/

But thank you Graceful... another alternative veiw to consider... I am further re-enforced.

And thank you meds...
And thank you pdoc...
And thank you Therapist..
And as always thank you ADDF. (24/7/365, support)

Abi
07-14-11, 10:16 AM
Wait; isn't she a high priestess in the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster too?

http://www.flyingspaghetti.org/members/graceful69

mctavish23
07-14-11, 10:22 AM
There are a great many studies on environment;including all the variables

you mentioned.

To date, environment is empirically supported as exacerbating pre-existing/

neurobiological conditions like ADHD.

However,from an etiology/causation standpoint,there's NOT a direct correlation.

On the other hand, environment will create the conditions for learned or conditioned

responses associated with behavior problems,excessive anxiety,and some depression.

With depression and ADHD though, there appears to be a genetic connection.

Therefore for depression to occur with say, ADHD kids, you generally need to have

an underlying genetic vulnerability and some type of social disruption.

When I (personally & professionally) think of "environment," I usually put that under

either/or "social disruption (i.e., divorce, failing grades,break up's, etc.)" or "psycho-

-social advertisy (abuse, neglect,bullying, financial stressors,etc.)."

Hope that helps some.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)

PS

Until proven otherwise, ADHD IS primarily genetic/inherited.

In fact, it is the #1 genetically determined disorder in the DSM-IV TR.

Autism is # 2.

Abi
07-14-11, 10:29 AM
ADHD ahead of Autism? Wow.

mctavish23
07-14-11, 10:32 AM
Just as an fyi,

Being "born" with ADHD DOES imply a reason.

The "reason" is found in the molecular genetics studies.

Historically, over (approx.) the last 20 + years, the genetic contribution

for ADHD has been found to be GREATER THAN HUMAN HEIGHT OR IQ.

Therefore, one could make the same type of "argument" with, "You Mean

People Are Just Born With (Blue Eyes, Flat Feet,Certain Facial Features,etc.)?"

I've said this before, but it's worth repeating in this context, my favorite

operational definition of ADHD is that it's a TRAIT for deficits in INHIBITION.

In closing, please observe that ...YES. I DO MEAN TO TELL YOU THAT." :D

Have a nice day. :p

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)

Retromancer
07-14-11, 11:33 AM
If you are seeking more threads on the subject of the alleged hazards of medication feel free to go here:

http://www.addforums.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1800601&photoplog_searchinfo=1

It's amazing how some forum members appear to be one person information bureaus...

sarahsweets
07-14-11, 11:44 AM
I'm thinking she's trying to warn us of the rapture or 2012.

Lunacie
07-14-11, 11:52 AM
Graceful, I hope you're actually reading some of the very informative responses to your scare-mongering, and not just keeping busy looking for more bad science to try to scare people who have a very real medical condition and came here looking for good information and support.

kellykelly123
01-16-12, 03:20 PM
I don't understand everyone's extreme reactions to Graceful's post. Why couldn't we be looking into underlying causes of ADHD? Why couldn't some of those causes have to do with environment and diet?

As a society, we have to ask ourselves why our country prescribes medical amphetamines to nearly 10% of our children in order to purportedly treat a disease that has no known biological origin, cause, or mechanism. Stimulants don't "treat" ADHD because, as far as science has proven, we don't know what we're "treating." Yes, they increase dopamine in the synaptic cleft, and yes that increases functioning and concentration, but we can't use this fact to retroactively assign dopamine deficiency as the root cause of ADHD. This is true because no one has ever found dopamine levels in those with ADHD to be lower than those without it.

Of course stimulants help people with ADHD to focus. They help everyone to focus. I was diagnosed with ADD. Both my siblings were also diagnosed. I took several stimulant drugs to treat it. But then I stopped, reevaluated my diet, my sleeping habits, my study habits and have not taken any form of medication for anything in seven years. I don't believe that I control my ADD. I don't believe I ever had it. As a culture, I think it's important to consider ideas different from our own. We can't get so obsessed with advocating for our "diseases" that we can't accept ideas that challenge our conceptions. Maybe ADHD isn't what we think it is. Maybe it doesn't affect as many people as we medicate. Maybe we're buying into something that isn't entirely true.

Dizfriz
01-17-12, 05:24 PM
I don't understand everyone's extreme reactions to Graceful's post. Why couldn't we be looking into underlying causes of ADHD? Why couldn't some of those causes have to do with environment and diet? They could but to date, the research does not indicate this in the context you are using. We pretty much know that diet does not cause ADHD and while the environment has some impact (in very specific circumstances) mostly it is genetically based.

As a society, we have to ask ourselves why our country prescribes medical amphetamines to nearly 10% of our childrenThis is not accurate. There are several medications involved with ADHD besides amphetamines. About 5-8% of children could be diagnosed with ADHD and unfortunately most are not treated at any given time. in order to purportedly treat a disease that has no known biological origin, cause, or mechanism. We know quite a lot about the biological origins, causes and mechanisms of ADHD. We don't know everything yet but we know a lot.

[Stimulants don't "treat" ADHD because, as far as science has proven we don't know what we're "treating." Yes we do. We are treating a neurobiological disorder that basically causes a developmental delay in the executive system. Another way of putting it a deficit in the ability to self regulate (impulsiveness). If by treating you mean "curing", no it doesn't but look at this as somewhat similar to insulin and diabetes. Insulin does not cure diabetes but it helps manage it along with diet and exercise. ADHD medications help manage ADHD along with behavior management methods. Yes, they increase dopamine in the synaptic cleft, and yes that increases functioning and concentration, but we can't use this fact to retroactively assign dopamine deficiency as the root cause of ADHD.We don't. We are able to be very much more specific with the mechanisms of the ADHD medications.This is true because no one has ever found dopamine levels in those with ADHD to be lower than those without it. That is not the point. Overall dopamine levels are not diagnostic for ADHD. There are other mechanisms involved beside just general dopamine levels.

Of course stimulants help people with ADHD to focus. They help everyone to focus. I was diagnosed with ADD. Both my siblings were also diagnosed. I took several stimulant drugs to treat it. But then I stopped, reevaluated my diet, my sleeping habits, my study habits and have not taken any form of medication for anything in seven years. I don't believe that I control my ADD. I don't believe I ever had it. As a culture, I think it's important to consider ideas different from our own. We can't get so obsessed with advocating for our "diseases" that we can't accept ideas that challenge our conceptions. Maybe ADHD isn't what we think it is. Maybe it doesn't affect as many people as we medicate. Maybe we're buying into something that isn't entirely true. There is nothing wrong with these questions but they have been asked many times by scientists and have led to a lot of research so we have some pretty good answers to them. The research is very strong that it is neurological disorder involving several genes and several parts of the brain. This is probably the most studied childhood mental health disorder there is. Over ten years ago, the number of papers on ADHD ran over 6000 and many more have been published since then. A huge amount of research has and is being done on this subject.

There is a lot known about ADHD. I might suggest that you look at the links at http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1099114#post1099114 "What is ADHD and how does it affect people"

This may give you an idea of the current thinking and research on the subject. It might be of use.

Again these are good questions and thoughts but they have been explored a long time ago.

Dizfriz