View Full Version : OK Canadians, anyones drug plan cover 100 days?

Canuck223
07-18-11, 01:47 AM
I tried to e-mail my drug plan, but thier server is down.

According to thier website, they have a Dynamic Management Program for people taking a stable dose of a medication. There were no specific drug groups excluded. Once enrolled, they pay for 100 days at a time. It would save me $75 a year.

So far, my plan has only covered up to 30 days, but i was planning on asking when I go in for my next refill. My pharmacy is good and I know if there is a way, they will help out.

Just wondered if anyone else has asked.

{Disclaimer for the Americans, we are not limited to a 30 day supply. My doctor writes for 90-100 days once she figures a change isn't needed. The only thing keeping me from filling the whole script at once is I'm on the hook for all but 30 days if I do.)

ginniebean
07-18-11, 01:53 AM
In the past I've had no problem getting 3 months worth of meds at one time.. I'm in alberta.

Memofunk
07-18-11, 08:07 AM
It's not really the plan that matters, but the meds. Whichever plan I had Strattera was a no brainer to get for 90 days at once, then renewable 4 times with no additionnal trip to the doctor.

Simenora
07-18-11, 08:17 AM
It depends, I can get more than 30 days at a time, but my insurance only pays out 30 days. I can pick up the refills 5 days ahead. When we lost a month of my sons meds, docs office had to call insurance co. but it was all good.

Canuck223
07-18-11, 09:26 AM
It depends, I can get more than 30 days at a time, but my insurance only pays out 30 days. I can pick up the refills 5 days ahead. When we lost a month of my sons meds, docs office had to call insurance co. but it was all good.

I was asking about the drug plan, not the doctor or script. Since I started meds, I had a few for just 30 days, then 60, then 100. She rolled it back to 90 days when I mentioned my plan only seemed to pay for 30 days at a time and the round off issue was a pain in the butt.

My next visit will be at about 11 months of treatment, and with my symptoms well managed and my blood pressure well in check, I doubt she'll want to see me earlier than 3-4 months. If Manulife/ESI Canada include ADHD meds in this DMP program, it would make my life a lot simpler.

My two boys are also on ADHD meds. One is likely a good fit for the program as he's unlikely to have a change of meds anytime soon. The other probably will.

Simenora
07-18-11, 09:33 AM
hmmmm, we have Manulife too. I hadn't heard of DMP. they seem to be pretty stringent about 30 days but luckily any change of med starts a new 30day cycle. Where did you find info about DMP?

ginniebean
07-18-11, 09:41 AM
I had sunlife, and I don't know if my pharmacist just had a way to input for costs every 30 days or not. All I know is I did get a 3 month supply of dexedrine without any problem and all at one time.

Canuck223
07-18-11, 12:24 PM
hmmmm, we have Manulife too. I hadn't heard of DMP. they seem to be pretty stringent about 30 days but luckily any change of med starts a new 30day cycle. Where did you find info about DMP?

Since i get 90-100 day scripts, I went online to www.esi-canada.com (http://www.esi-canada.com) to find out if they had any information on limits to refilling, etc. The information was right there.

I spoke to one of my regular pharmacists about the program. He essentially said they can wait for the computer to prompt them to suggest a 90 day supply, or they can initiate it.

They have to be sure this is in the best interests of the patient. If the doctor writes the script with limitations, I doubt they would call to suggest a change. He suggested that they support it for patients who meet the criteria and that they have gotten to know. He summed it up with my main concern, that they are happy to reduce costs when appropriate.

I have 60 days left on my current script. I'll ask them to see if they can get me on the program for this refill. If that works, I'll mention it at my next recall visit, and see how long she is comfortable writting a script for.

Canuck223
07-18-11, 12:27 PM
I had sunlife, and I don't know if my pharmacist just had a way to input for costs every 30 days or not. All I know is I did get a 3 month supply of dexedrine without any problem and all at one time.

Were they boosters, or first line treatment? With a once a day RX, getting more than a 30 day suppy could be a problem. If they are boosters, odds are the insurance company doesn't know that it's a 3 month supply.

When I get a script for dex boosters, I get 100 at a time.

Canuck223
07-20-11, 10:33 AM
OK, so I got my refill yesterday for 60 days (the remainder of my 90 day script) all at once with no issues.