View Full Version : Does Exercise Help?

Shlarin
07-18-11, 12:40 PM
I have a very busy and stressful job so every bit of free time for me is gold.. but I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to invest more time exercising. I still exercise regularly but not enough (mostly on the weekends, about 1 hour a week on average.)

I've found that after exercising strenouously I'm too exhausted to concentrate for the rest of the day. But I end up feeling much better the following day after a good night's rest.

When I exercise, I'll sweat which means I'd need to spend time showering as well.. so a daily 15 min. exercise routine may require 30 minutes of time (including the shower.) Also, my job starts very early in the morning (~6am) so exercising before work is out of the question (job requires me to get up ridiculously early to begin with.)

Maybe exercising before bed (along with the shower)..

speculative
07-18-11, 12:55 PM
I exercise before bed, then take a shower at night which allows me to skip a shower in the morning so I have more time to get ready in the morning. This is nice because the exercise helps me sleep. I find that a nice bike ride or run is best, but cycling is easier on my body while still giving me an aerobic workout.

I find that I have to stick with it over time. Even doing 15 minutes a day, but at least every other day if not more frequently, is what works best. Last night, I was too tired to go to bed, but I forced myself to go out for a quick ride anyway. I felt more awake and relaxed after the ride, and I could think more clearly. I watched an episode of one of my favorite TV shows, then went to bed. The ride definitely did me good, even though I didn't feel like exercising at all...

gerwin
07-18-11, 12:55 PM
I used to go and excercise in the evening, then a sauna and a shower.. maybe a drink and then off to bed i went.

selita
07-18-11, 12:59 PM
Yup, it's worth it. It could do nothing for ADHD and still be worth it.

Maybe just a short walk or a light stretching routine in the mornings. I usually stretch and maybe lift weights for a few minutes. I'm not big into exercise, but a little yoga is nice.

I've wanted a stationary bike for years; sometimes I've just got too much energy at night. It's hard to get decent cardio in Canada in January. Too much snow and it gets dark at like 6pm.

tired1823
07-18-11, 01:03 PM
Last year my schedule included working from 9-5 and going to evening classes three days a week. I had no free time at all with reading assignments and homework to do, so I put a lot of things aside and exercised once a week, maybe. My Dr. said I shouldn't have done that. He seemed to think everything would have been better, including some of the side effects I was getting from medicine, if I had been exercising. If I could do it again I would have done at least something light like walking on a tread mill for an hour every day. I would have only had time to do that in the morning. That would have taken some serious adjusting for me.

speculative
07-18-11, 01:08 PM
He seemed to think everything would have been better, including some of the side effects I was getting from medicine, if I had been exercising. If I could do it again I would have done at least something light like walking on a tread mill for an hour every day.

Good point about medicine. Another reason I exercise at night is because it helps counteract the "crash" of my long-acting add meds. This helps keep my brain from getting foggy and keeps me in a better mood all day long. That also helps me avoid late-night junk food binges, which probably does more to contribute to my overall health than the exercise itself does. :D

I've wanted a stationary bike for years; sometimes I've just got too much energy at night. It's hard to get decent cardio in Canada in January. Too much snow and it gets dark at like 6pm.

Yes, where I'm at it starts getting dark in the deep winter at 4:45pm and then is pitch black by 5:30 or earlier. Ah, northern living. I think I'm going to invest in snowshoes and a flashlight and just rough it this next winter though. Heck, it's a temperate climate here compared to where I grew up where we would play outside during recess at -30F. :D

littlefidget
07-19-11, 04:12 AM
I find exercise really helps me, calms me right down and stops me feeling so restless. I do a lot of intense exercise but also just going for a walk has a similar effect. Even if it does nothing for your adhd though, getting regular exercise would benefit your general health.

tudorose
07-19-11, 11:15 AM
Ordinarily yes. Unless you've done a blood donation and 17 days later still can't exert yourself in any capacity! Goodbye 7500km riding target. Be lucky if I can get back on the bike sometime next month at this rate.

Simenora
07-19-11, 12:53 PM
Good point about medicine. Another reason I exercise at night is because it helps counteract the "crash" of my long-acting add meds. This helps keep my brain from getting foggy and keeps me in a better mood all day long. That also helps me avoid late-night junk food binges, which probably does more to contribute to my overall health than the exercise itself does. :D

Yes, where I'm at it starts getting dark in the deep winter at 4:45pm and then is pitch black by 5:30 or earlier. Ah, northern living. I think I'm going to invest in snowshoes and a flashlight and just rough it this next winter though. Heck, it's a temperate climate here compared to where I grew up where we would play outside during recess at -30F. :D

What are you guys complaining about? I am on the 53 parallel, geeze. ya I know..."but its a dry cold", ha ha ha.

At least we have the mall so a person can mall walk. That would be the "formerly biggest mall in the world" mall. If you get there at 7 am you can see all the seniors making their rounds, arms pumping away, with the waddle that comes from race walking.

In Edmonton, in the dead of winter, the sun is up at 10am and starts to fade by 3pm. Conversely this time of year , it is light from 5am to midnight. very hard on the circadian rhythm.

speculative
07-20-11, 10:38 PM
What are you guys complaining about? I am on the 53 parallel, geeze.

Yeah, but it isn't as impressive once you convert it from metric...

:p

In Edmonton, in the dead of winter, the sun is up at 10am and starts to fade by 3pm. Conversely this time of year , it is light from 5am to midnight. very hard on the circadian rhythm.

"... all talk of circadian rhythm..."

dciDcRZovP4

MMetelli13
07-20-11, 10:51 PM
I wouldn't say it helps with ADHD as much as it does the co-morbid disorders like depression and anxiety.

I go to my gym for two-three hours a day; warmups, one hour on the weights, one hour on the cardio (maybe one and a half depending on my mood), then cooldown. 6 days a week to keep myself going.

Doesn't do jack for my ADHD, but damn it all if I don't feel good after a great workout all the same!

eclectic beagle
07-21-11, 12:09 AM
I think it helps increase the efficacy of certain cognitive functions, which I don't think anyone would complain about.

selita
07-21-11, 12:25 AM
Stretching and lifting weights eases the tension in my shoulders which in turn helps my motor tics. :)

eclectic beagle
07-23-11, 05:52 PM
I would also recommend Omega 3, for various reasons, but it is known as a dietary nootropic, at least in a sense.