View Full Version : Synesthesia

Conman
07-22-11, 04:30 PM
anybody else have this? just curious cuz my cousin overheard me talking about how when i eat i describe by color if otherwise undescribable, or if they cant be related to another taste. i think i gots lexical-gustatory synesthesia, but im not sure. when i taste something i see color for a picosecond, but the color sticks in my mind for a few minutes. like i had corn (dinner kind, NOT COB)when i was 4, and it tasted awful, and then i said it tastes purple. then i had corn on the cob recently and it tastes yellow. something so tasty and perfect will taste red or blue to me depending on the food itself. it also works with smells too for me. like salad dressing smells brown. or me smelling sexy from cologne smells green.

anybody else got synesthesia stuffs or similar neurological phenomenamena?

Mesaana
07-22-11, 04:46 PM
on a few different occasions, when i was in an altered state, i could "smell" colors, like i could smell orange (the color, not the fruit), and i could "see" music... (at the time, i was listening to dark side of the moon by pink floyd), which looked like absolute blackness with shiny rainbow spiral staircases everywhere that were slowly spiraling down all around me.

but not usually, no...

Rebelyell
07-22-11, 04:57 PM
Uhh get off the acid?!

Conman
07-22-11, 05:40 PM
no mesaana, synesthesia under the influence of something doesnt count. only when it occurs involuntarily/automatically. i admit i dont verbally say everything i smell or taste in colors, i usually keep it to myself since i dont want people going like "what the friggedy **** are you talking about, it tastes/smells like _____".

as a result, i just say whatever else tastes/smells the same as whatever.

does a Rebelyell have synesthesia?

Fortune
07-22-11, 06:22 PM
Rebelyell is likely being irrelevant.

I have synesthesia of various types: Music -> color, color -> taste, voices -> texture, and objects -> alive but don't have personalities (not sure how to properly explain this).

I remember a particular shade of yellow that actually made me nauseous when I was in middle school. Mostly, I just like listening to music to prompt the visuals.

Overall, my synesthesia seems less intense than it was 10-20 years ago.

Blueranne
07-22-11, 08:24 PM
I remember another thread like this from a while ago. I have some weird synesthesia abilities too. Mainly its with numbers, letters, sounds (rhythms), and sometimes colors.

The biggest area were I have synesthesia is with numbers. When Im doing math or remembering a phone number I remember the sound of the numbers. I can remember phone numbers from years and years ago even if I only used it one time. The numbers seem to kind of have their own song. Weird?

Conman
07-22-11, 11:23 PM
ah. yeah it first kicked in when i was 4/5 with the corn. my cousin told me about it when she heard me talking about my colors in taste, and she said to look it up, i did, cuz she has the number form type

Rebelyell
07-22-11, 11:30 PM
I think your being irrelevant by putting down everything I post.

Conman
07-22-11, 11:51 PM
i dont do that to you Rebel

Rebelyell
07-23-11, 12:20 AM
sorry not you Conman.

Conman
07-23-11, 12:21 AM
yayness

Fortune
07-23-11, 12:36 AM
I didn't find out about my synesthesia until the past year or so. I didn't really think about it much and assumed everyone had similar perceptions. It never crossed my mind to mention it to anyone - rather, someone else mentioned it to me. Even then I had to stop and really think about it because it's all normal to me.

Rebelyell,

I stated what I saw: Your post has no relevance that I can discern. It seemed to be a random one-liner and nothing more. I am sorry if you think that I was putting you down, but that was not my intention.

tweetiebirdk
07-23-11, 08:50 PM
I often feel like I associate colours with tastes or various things .

Ive often wanted to write essays and such using colours to describe things like feelings , tastes, events but have held back. Im not a good writer anyway but I could say a lot if I could use colours to describe things which is how I feel. Im way better at art than written expression.

But is that madness that everyone else feels but holds back on. I dont really see the colours either. Or can people have very mild synthesia or is there a tiny amount or a sliding scale of synthesia in everyone? Or does it necessitate the autism or synthesia gene thingy.

stef
07-24-11, 10:27 AM
well I've always associated words with tastes.....

Conman
07-26-11, 03:28 PM
ice cream tastes white

stef
07-27-11, 08:24 AM
ice cream tastes white

No it's the other way around! "white" tastes like plain vanilla ice cream. :)

Conman
07-27-11, 11:32 AM
NOT TO ME! i taste and then i taste/see color. the color happens because i instantly see a flash of said color for like a picosecond, then the color sticks in my head until some other color walks in. usually the taste color comes in if i cant describe something with just "it's so good" or "it tastes like ****". but the color is always there. and the occassional smells colors.

as a great cartoon character once said: "Hey, what smells like blue?"

stef
07-27-11, 12:23 PM
that's excellent!
by the way to clarify, I meant the WORD white tastes like vanilla; not the color white...
(clarify...tastes like pudding!)

Conman
07-27-11, 02:45 PM
hmm...interesting

Fortune
07-27-11, 04:38 PM
No it's the other way around! "white" tastes like plain vanilla ice cream. :)

The word white does taste like vanilla.

The color white tastes like cream.

NOT TO ME! i taste and then i taste/see color. the color happens because i instantly see a flash of said color for like a picosecond, then the color sticks in my head until some other color walks in. usually the taste color comes in if i cant describe something with just "it's so good" or "it tastes like ****". but the color is always there. and the occassional smells colors.

as a great cartoon character once said: "Hey, what smells like blue?"

Water. Like a river.

Also, the color blue that this forum uses is more like heavy cloth.

A lighter shade I see on another forum is sort of like a mix between fresh water and a kind of chewing gum I can't really describe (http://www.looneystuff.com/looneystuff/freshen-up-peppermint-chewing-gum-liquid-center-12-7-piece-packs-ff80808117344aab011743ebbcba4517-p.html). Not peppermint flavored, but more like...hard to describe.

Conman
07-27-11, 04:44 PM
no i wasnt saying i smell blue right now, im just quoting a character

Fortune
07-27-11, 04:45 PM
no i wasnt saying i smell blue right now, im just quoting a character

I realize that, I was responding to the character quote because I had an answer.

AddledSquirrel
07-30-11, 12:20 AM
I *WISH* I had synesthesia, but I don't :(

The only thing weird in my brain is that in it, numbers are associated with colors. The number 4 is red, for example. But when I look at or write down the number 4, I don't see it in red. The months of the year and days of the week have genders, too. This isn't synesthesia, though - I think it's just my head trying to classify stuff.

Fortune
07-30-11, 05:59 AM

The only thing weird in my brain is that in it, numbers are associated with colors. The number 4 is red, for example. But when I look at or write down the number 4, I don't see it in red. The months of the year and days of the week have genders, too. This isn't synesthesia, though - I think it's just my head trying to classify stuff.

I don't have a source at hand but I have heard multiple people describe day -> gender synesthesia.

Actually, this book has some relevant information (http://books.google.com/books?id=fl6wX4xzb_kC&pg=PA297&lpg=PA297&dq=months+have+genders+synesthesia&source=bl&ots=ih0qtCVdtu&sig=Te40MPPmuj9YNbh5wm8mfFE2hEQ&hl=en&ei=rtUzTrioDMfWiAL1p8GwCA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CF0Q6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=months%20have%20genders%20synesthesia&f=false).

Conman
07-30-11, 11:26 AM
did everything just taste purple for a second?

Conman
08-28-11, 10:03 PM
the smell of a morning after lots or rain and wet grass soil smells brown

tambourine-man
09-05-11, 12:19 AM
I have synethesia (it is common in autistics). For instance, my name is a very specific shade of red. I don't much like red, but I don't have a choice in the matter. Certain music makes certain colors that move a certain way.
I also experience numbers and letters as having color and personality. I'm the number 65. My dad is 54. 8 is a godlike number, whereas 7 encompasses our entire environment and collective consciousness. 6 is wild, and goofy, but brilliant, like John Lennon dancing through the airport with Yoko Ono. 8and 7 have no sex. 2 and 4 are orange and very reliable, like German shepherds. 9 brown, is powerful and charming and wears a tuxedo. He also has a pencil mustache.

Conman
09-05-11, 12:27 AM
ha at number 9. is that the numberform synesthesia?

tambourine-man
09-05-11, 04:48 PM
Yep. You can take a scientific test on the Internet but it is very long and I would imagine, if you don't have it, you'd be bored and confused. The site is called The Synesthesia Battery.

tambourine-man
09-05-11, 04:50 PM

Nope, that is synesthesia. For sure. Very little synesthesia takes the form of actual hallucinations. Take the test.

Conman
09-05-11, 05:07 PM
but i know i do. i dont need that test. if i taste and smell colors (typically, not while influenced), then i think that's enough evidence. haha

"Hey, what smells like blue?!"
"Did everything taste purple for just a sec?"

electric76
11-01-11, 10:45 AM
There are so many different forms of synesthesia that people don't realize. For example, numbers to me have distinct personalities. I really liked addition and subtraction in early elementary school because their friendships and dramas made sense. Single digits were the kids, and their double digits were the resulting relationship. It is hard to explain it now being a little more separated from it, but I still "feel" the numbers in some sense. Didn't know that ANY other person did that until this summer googling it!

Another thing I've experienced is subtitles when people are talking. I don't literally see them, but I imagine how words are spelled most of the time when people are talking to me. I used to wonder (and still do wonder) how people can be such bad spellers if they "see" certain words all the time when spoken. Don't get me wrong, its not like I had an internal dictionary, but I felt that part of my brain got a lot of practice.

I also associate colors and textures to experiences and time periods, but they aren't known to our visual spectrum. They are too abstract for words, and not fully imaginable. Just very strongly felt. I try to discuss this with a lot of different people, and although they think they understand, they can't contribute at all in the same direction of thought.

kathrynsmathryn
11-03-11, 04:19 AM
I don't have synesthesia, but I do sometimes wish I could experience it. I read a book called "A Mango Shaped Space" By Wendy Mass which first introduced be to the concept a few years ago. I always remembered it and wondered what things looked/sounded/tasted like through someone with it. :)

lady_peace
12-20-11, 03:51 PM
I don't know if it is synesthesia or not but depending on the texture and colors of things, they can have different feelings and send out emotions. It's quite hard to describe, writing it down.

Conman
12-20-11, 06:30 PM
hmm, dont know about that. it sounds like it can be synesthesia. ask a professional or a super high ranking person on forums who is older and wiser

Fortune
12-21-11, 12:16 AM
I don't know if it is synesthesia or not but depending on the texture and colors of things, they can have different feelings and send out emotions. It's quite hard to describe, writing it down.

Pretty much any situation where you get mixed signals from a particular kind of stimulus can be synesthesia.

So this may very well be.

Conman
06-26-12, 03:12 AM
...fire smells blue

pooka
06-26-12, 03:35 AM
There are so many different forms of synesthesia that people don't realize. For example, numbers to me have distinct personalities. It is hard to explain it now being a little more separated from it, but I still "feel" the numbers in some sense.

I totally have this...I always liked the number 4 because she's the most like me, but I wanted to be more like 8 because she's very cool and sophisticated. 2 is kind of like the hyper little brother, 1 is a total snob. 3 is kind of bratty but people put up with her anyways, 6 is really patient and kind, 9 thinks he's too cool for school, 5 is a bit of a stick in the mud, 7 is very sneaky and cunning, and 10 is well-rounded and nice enough but kind of dumb. The personalities are most clear for these ones, the numbers 1 through 10, after that I stopped caring as much or something, but I do associate some other numbers with personality traits too.

Conman
07-07-12, 03:25 AM
after a night of raining it smells brown outside

fracturedstory
08-29-12, 02:08 AM
I don't experience much personalities or know what colours smell like but letters and numbers have colours, texture and shape. Some letters remind me of numbers because they're the same colour.
I can remember locations from how they smell.
Words have smells and tastes to them. Like if I started craving bbq chips. I hesitated to write that because, oh crap, I can smell and taste it. I'm going to go mad now because I've haven't got any bbq chips on me.
When watching fire or smoke on TV I can smell a smoke machine.

I've tried to write a coded language in colour. It's fun and relaxing to just sit back and think about it.

DAMN THOSE BBQ CHIPS!

Music has some very distinct colour patterns and shapes too. Psychedelic music really brings it out. And no I don't have to be on LSD. Most of what I've heard of LSD trips sound like regular life to me.

Damn Friday for being green and just out of Earth's reach. I wish it would come down and join Wednesday. My sister does this too and we have the best conversations about it, though she's so profound that she'll freak out if you talk about a day that's not here yet.

Assumption
08-29-12, 08:47 PM
Hmm, does music -> emotion/physical sensations count?

Certain parts of music will make me close to tears (not necessarily sad though) or will give me the shivers (all my arm hairs stand on end and I feel cold and almost shivery). Usually it's in a good part of a piece of music, where the key modulates or some tension in the chord progression is resolved in a pleasing way. For instance, it's hard to describe but at about 1:03, 2:15 (and not 3:15, really) in "No I in Threesome" by Interpol makes me feel really bittersweet. Actually, I'm not sure bittersweet is the right term. I don't know how to describe it. It's a rush of some kind. Like a buildup of tension and release. I think it may be a change from a minor to major key (I'm only vaguely musically literate). It has nothing to do with the lyrics, by the way (I can really hear what they're singing anyway).

I think most people probably experience what I'm describing but I also suspect that mine's a little more intense than most people experience.

Another thing that I *sometimes* get is that music is associated with force/pressure. But then, I'm not sure how weird that is, either. Sound waves are just vibrations, after all.

ChangelingGirl
08-31-12, 07:24 PM
I have synesthesia too. I mostly experien ce grapheme-color synesthesia and some sound-color synesthesia.

Conman
12-13-12, 02:21 PM
sound-color? im partially deaf so i want to hear about these sound-color types you speak of haha

T-Rex65
12-13-12, 02:51 PM
Yeah, except for one particular instance when I was in an altered state, I don't think I've ever experienced it. I find it very interesting though. A former boss said his son had it. Certain days of the week had certain colors, and those colors were consistent over time.

MWalker
02-28-13, 02:26 AM
Interesting stuff. I didn't know there was a name for these kind of perceptual interactions. In my mind words are defined by sounds. Not the literal sound of the word, but a particular tone or chord. If someone is reading aloud or reciting something I know, and they change a word or skip something, it's like someone played the totally wrong chord in the middle of the song. I never really considered that it was a different way of perceiving things until recently. It's not something I would ever want to lose, but it mostly keeps me from ever wanting to listen to music as hardly anything can compare to the music inside my head.