View Full Version : Bad effects when I'm off my ADD medication

Rbcooley
07-22-11, 05:38 PM
I am prescribed 30 mg of adderall, and i find that I'm alert, motivated, happy, and overall moving at an efficient pace throughout the day. Since my appetite is not on my mind, I'm able to make responsible eating choices, since those cookies aren't calling my name anymore.

However, when I'm not taking my adderall....everything falls apart. Not only have a lost all motivation for life itself, all I can think about is food. I'm sluggish, and depressed. I cant seem to understand where I used to find my motivation before I was ever medicated. I feel like my body has become dependent on chemical motivation, and without it I am pride-less and over-eat and just let myself go. Is anyone else suffering from similar problems and are is there anyone out there who has learned how to deal with it?

buddy
07-22-11, 07:49 PM
Hello & welcome to the forums!

addtention
07-24-11, 12:36 AM
I feel your pain so deeply I haven't taken adder all for 2 days because I felt tired of it and other stresses and now I've just eaten like crazy.

selita
07-24-11, 01:33 AM
Welcome :)

The first thing you've got to understand about willpower is that it's a limited resource. Use it all to get your work done, you won't have any left to avoid ice cream.

You feel like you're dependent on chemicals for motivation... because you are. When you take stimulants, they boost your dopamine, giving you more executive control over your impulses... The downside is that your brain comes to expect the extra. Take the stimulants away, and your self-control tanks.

But only for a while. Eventually, it will reset to its natural levels. How long depends on your dose. While it's healthy to take a break occasionally, you might find it easier to take a reduced dose, rather than nothing. Perhaps if it's easier, you can do it more often?

The other important thing about willpower is that no one really has as much as it seems. They did a study on children years ago, and found that those who were able to avoid eating a treat (expecting a bigger treat if they could) did it by distracting themselves. They'd play games, sing, daydream, etc. Those who couldn't resist... just looked at the treat and tried real hard not to take it. It didn't work.

But tell the kids to sing or play to distract themselves... and almost all of them could do it.

Sometimes I just force myself to drink more water or eat some fruit and vegetables before I can have my goodies. Or I redefine a treat to include cashew and vegetable stir fry, ginger beef, and brown rice... or whatever tasty thing. :)

moonshine
07-27-11, 11:36 AM
I am prescribed 30 mg of adderall, and i find that I'm alert, motivated, happy, and overall moving at an efficient pace throughout the day. Since my appetite is not on my mind, I'm able to make responsible eating choices, since those cookies aren't calling my name anymore.

However, when I'm not taking my adderall....everything falls apart. Not only have a lost all motivation for life itself, all I can think about is food. I'm sluggish, and depressed. I cant seem to understand where I used to find my motivation before I was ever medicated. I feel like my body has become dependent on chemical motivation, and without it I am pride-less and over-eat and just let myself go. Is anyone else suffering from similar problems and are is there anyone out there who has learned how to deal with it?

It is a precarious situation you are in. Such a question is one that I ask myself so many moments in a day - get up, why aren't you excited for this, be grateful for what you have, why are you wasting food when there are starving people in third world countries, do i have to stay on adderall to avoid being a glutton, am i going to stay like this forever, i can't live like this...

i was bulimic since i was 10 years old, on and off - anorexic for a year, then full-blown bulimic from when i was 16 and now i'm 27. for the first time in over a decade, i have not binged and thrown up for over a period of almost three weeks. before that, i couldn't last more than a day. but like you, i am sort of relying on my medication to not overeat and stay clear of the kitchen every 15 minutes. the thing is, although i have been relying on my adderall to accomplish this, this wasn't the case before. i've overate and overdrank on my medications also, even when i wasn't hungry at all.

so tell me, are you really hungry? do you really want that cookie? savor two, not twenty. eat as if you are what you eat. i think you can rely on your medications to some extent to give you a cushion to give yourself a breather and change your eating habits and develop new coping skills (i'm assuming eating is a way you deal with your problems). it is a vicious cycle that you need to pull yourself out of, but you don't have to wait to hit a rock bottom that keeps getting deeper.

i don't think i've answered your question (i'm sorry!), but i'm here to tell you that you're not alone. how bad do you want it? how bad do you want to change that part of your life that consumes you? if you want to pm me everytime you want to tear into that food and that will help you, i will read and respond to them. you gotta do what it takes.

in korean, there is a saying called sang-jook-sah, sah-jook-sang. it means live to die, die to live. the quality of life depends on it. do you care?

x_Sunny_x
08-05-11, 01:48 AM
I struggle with the same thing...my struggle with impulsive eating is actually what led me to this forum. I'm not on medication at the moment, and as a result really struggle with this.

It's really a struggle because i cannot eat gluten or dairy - and yet some times the impulse takes over. Which is just BAD. People don't seem to understand that I just cant not eat it if its in front of me. You're not alone in this!

Let me share some of my tactics.

1. I drink a lot of water - when I catch myself reaching for something I switch directions and reach for the water instead.

2. I keep a lot of gum around. Different flavors to mix it up. This way when I am cooking, or people at work leave a platter out (because I WILL eat most of it by myself if I don't.) I am less likely to put something in my mouth if something is already there. I'm not sure this is good for my teeth though.

3. At supper time I take all my food straight away and ask for all the finger food type things to be put on the other side of the table, so I can't reach. Then I take my plate away right after I am done.

4. I purposely don't carry change in my wallet, so I can't buy snacks.

5. I don't really eat meals through out the day, instead I eat lots of little snacks...yogurt one hour, an apricot the next, boiled eggs a couple hours later. That sort of this.

At the end of the day I still really struggle with this - but try some of these things out. I also noticed this was really bad right after I got off my medication and hoped it would go away - and in some ways it has. I don't NEED to eat anymore which is what I felt when I was going off my meds. I think my body was looking for the stimulants in food. Perhaps yours is.

Now I mostly struggle with the impulsiveness. Hope some of these tactics might be of help!