View Full Version : Why does Adderall clear my sinuses??

KISSgirl
09-08-04, 02:42 PM
Ok, so I've been taking Adderall for 4 or 5 monthes now (after Strattera doing squat) - and while it doesn't really help with my concentration much anymore - I still take it (until I make another dr appt) to keep me awake during the day and believe it or not -- to clear my horribly allergic sinuses! For the life of me, I can't figure that out.

Anyone else experience this??

My doctor had no idea why....

jen

paulbf
09-08-04, 11:01 PM
See the recent messages about antihistamines here for an explanation. You ought to be able to punch antihistamine into the search button & find it.

Gregster
09-10-04, 02:41 PM
Amphetamines are closely related to decongestants - these classes of drugs are very similar structurally. Pseudo-ephedrine is often used as a precurser drug in the illegal manufacture of methamphetamine.
When they were discovered, amphetamines were initially studied as possible decongestants.
I find they clear my breathing as well!

KISSgirl
09-13-04, 02:11 PM
Amphetamines are closely related to decongestants - these classes of drugs are very similar structurally. Pseudo-ephedrine is often used as a precurser drug in the illegal manufacture of methamphetamine.
When they were discovered, amphetamines were initially studied as possible decongestants.
that makes sense - glad to hear I'm not the only one that experiences this - thanks!

Greenjuice
12-12-09, 05:39 PM
Same here! I've actually stayed on the stimulants (dex,adderall,vyvanse) side of add medicaitons due to this (unknowing to doc). Though dexadrane seems to outweigh all of them, I'm currently on 30mgXR of adderall and 10mg ir adderall. All help great with my sinuses and allergies. None of my docs seems to understand why. (I think our generation researches way more than any previous one).

However going back to Vyvanse, because Adderall is too speedy and I feel it gives me more add. (Switched because Vyvanse made me an introvert and boring)

TimeToTry
12-12-09, 09:54 PM

To come to think of it, I used to have a problem with stuffy nose every winter. It just wouldn't go away and I'm constantly reaching for a tissue. The last few days since I've been on adderall, it seems to have left for the most part. :D!!

OneProzacADay
12-12-09, 10:27 PM
I noticed that too. I didn't have a stuffy nose very often, but I used to get pretty bad sinus headaches. Once I started taking Adderall a little over a month ago, they all but disappeared. I quickly realized the amphetamine/pseuoephederine connection that Gregster pointed out. I found it kind of interesting and amusing.

gnbeg
12-13-09, 02:47 PM
See my post about runny nose -which no one replied to... ;-)

Question: my sinuses are "clearing" to the point that it's embarassing. I'm always blowing my nose, wiping my nose with my hands, shirt sleeve, anything I can find. It's especially bad when I exercise.

What's the fix? It is better when I reduce my dosage which I plan to do in the coming days. I'm on vacation so don't need as much adderall. I'd hate to add another medication, but will an anithistamine work? Are there adverse reactions mixing Adderal and an antihistamine?

jeffpuffer
12-13-09, 11:34 PM
Adderall, and amphetamines in general (as well as methylphenidate) clear your sinuses because they are potent vasoconstrictors. As you probably don't know, congestion is the result of inflammed blood vessels which inflame in response to some stimulus to allow more blood to get to a certain area of the body. The inflammed blood vessels cause inflammation in the nose because the nose is usually where irritants end up (pollen, allergens, etc). By constricting the blood vessels, stimulants (which do so by mechanism of norepinephrine) relieve the inflammation and thus get rid of the problem. With the blood vessels relaxed, all the mucus in your nose (which is there to try to trap allergens) can now come out since the constriction is gone and there's nothing keeping it from falling out. You'll notice if you have a stuffy nose and take any stimulant, you will soon have a runny nose (the mucus no longer is trapped and gravity brings it out). Adderall also helps with itchy eyes, asthma, and anything else that is the result of a immunoresponse. Infact, amphetamines were first studied back in the early 1990's for treating asthma and lung problems. That's why you had the invention of the benzedrex inhaler (inhalable amphetamine base). Of course this came with side effects like euphoria and stimulation (it's the exact same thing as smoking dexedrine), so amphetamines were eventually replaced by other stimulants that didn't act on the brain, and hence you have things like pseudoephedrine. However, there is still l-methamphetamine, which is used in vicks inhalers because l-methamphetamine does not cross the blood-brain barrier like d-methamphetamine does (it's OTC). I'd imagine these inhalers have fallen out of use
because of the negative stigma associated with meth which is too bad because they probably work better than any other OTC decongestant.
Hope that helped.

edit: apparently Vicks calls it "Levmetamfetamine" instead of L-Methamphetamine... I really wish people didn't have to do stupid stuff like that just because media blows everything out of proportion.

Plethos
12-16-09, 12:59 AM
I read somewhere that a stuffy nose (especially towards the end of the day) can be a symptom of severe dopamine deficiency, along with tiptoe walking, droopy eyelids, low muscle tone, low blood pressure on standing, and speech problems. Not saying you have a serious dopamine deficiency, but stuffy sinuses can be brought on by dopamine issues correctable by adderall.

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/d/dopamine_beta_hydroxylase_deficiency/intro.htm

QueensU_girl
12-16-09, 01:25 AM
Amphetamines are related to decongestant meds like pseudoephedrine.

Sissaphus
12-16-09, 12:18 PM
I'm so happy to have seen your post.

I often have a stuffy nose (just one side) and have been getting sinus infections for over ten years, blocked ears every winter for about as long and didn't make the connection! Since I've been trying my best to take Adderall IR fairly regularly (not that successful at that yet), I haven't had a problem with stuffy...

What a nice 'side effect'!

StoicNate
12-16-09, 01:08 PM
Hmm..I wonder if it helps hay fever allergy symptoms?
I stopped taking my adderall a few days ago cuz I was afraid that it would make my allergies worse.
My nose is all stuffed up and can only breath thru my mouth at the moment, which is annoying especially when I want to eat something.
I don't take any anti-allergy medicine, since I'm a bit skeptical of it and don't want it interfering with driving.

ADHD Ceilidh
12-27-09, 12:44 AM
Plethos, the link you posted is to dopamine betahydroxylase deficiency. The main issue with that disorder is that dopamine is not converted to norepinephrine. This results in a general lack of peripheral vasoconstrction which leads to stuffy nose/ sinus congestion, orthostatic hypotension, etc.

That disease doesn't really stem from or cause a deficiency of dopamine itself. Dopamine deficiency issues lead to things like Parkinsons and in some cases ADHD depending on where in the brain the deficiency lies. Hope that helps clear some things up.

sauer_kraut
12-28-09, 06:04 PM
So this explains why I came down with a cold yesterday and not had many nasal issues from it. Today it almost feels like I am not sick at all..then I get up to go do something that takes energy and want to pass out :P