View Full Version : ADD and Infidelity?

Muggzy
07-25-11, 04:19 PM
I was just wondering if there has ever been any correlation between people in monogamous relationships having ADD, and infidelity (ie cheating?)?
With our "poor impulse control" I wonder if we are more or less predisposed to having trouble resisting temptation in this regard?

Anyone had any experience with the topic?

Blueranne
07-25-11, 04:45 PM
If infidelity is in a persons character and that person has ADHD then I would think that they would be more susceptible to it. But it has more to do with character. I cant see how ADHD alone would make cheating a more frequent thing.

RedHairedWitch
07-25-11, 04:59 PM
This topic comes up all the time. Use the search feature.

AbsentMindProf
07-27-11, 10:29 AM
Yep, it's been discussed a lot. In brief, impulsiveness is a classic characteristic of the combined type of ADHD (and, of course, the predominantly hyperactive-impulsive type). Obviously, if you're impulsive, you're more likely to go from silently thinking "I'd like to hit that" to actually doing it.

There is also the issue that some people with ADHD crave novelty. If that tendency manifests itself in one's approach to relationships then, well... there you go.

That being said, infidelity is something that is caused by a huge number of factors. It's far from being the case that everyone with ADHD is going to be unfaithful. That same desire for novelty could just as easily manifest itself in ways that make you a lover that is still exciting to your partner after 50 years of marriage. ADHD traits can often be channeled in positive ways.

"Increased tendency" is not "destiny".

Muggzy
07-27-11, 03:50 PM
Ya I was just curious if on a broad scale, say, people with ADD vs NTs placed in identical situations with temptation and opportunity.....*shrug*