View Full Version : Do foods affect your ADD/ADHD

philuk2000
07-26-11, 12:33 PM
Are there any foods that impact positively or negatively on your ADD/ADHD symptoms?

I have found that while caffeine focuses my attention (somewhat) it has very bad side affects for days after (very bad mood swings - ups and downs) and I dont feel like i'm in control. I have not had caffeine for around 18 months and there is more than a marked improvement in mood - it's actually extremely stable now!

I also have a reaction to certain brands of Mushy Pea's which contains both E102 (tartrazine) and E133 (Brilliant Blue) - They are mixed to make that luminous green. I have an instant reaction (within 15 minutes) where I feel happy but very crazy and won’t stop talking!

I have not identified anything else as I am very careful to avoid additives where possible.

I have not found by limiting myself to certain foods that any of my focus is better but I have read that flaxseed oil is supposed to help counter foods that aggrivate ADHD.

kilted_scotsman
07-26-11, 04:53 PM
Food makes a difference to me... but I don't get to the level of specific additives and the like.

I did a kind of clearing out... and now notice when I have processed foods containing additives...I'm also aware of the changes in me after low levels of caffeine or alcohol.

The things I am having issues with at the moment are gluten and dairy.... cheese just knocks me over... to the extent i daren't have it at lunchtime!

kilted

Conman
07-26-11, 04:59 PM
foods dont really affect me. placebo effects probably happened to me as a kid becoming 120% more hyper cuz i was told sugar would make me hyper. so therefore if i got candy, it was a treat. NOTE: SUGAR IS NOT WHY PEOPLE THOUGHT AND DIAGNOSED ME. i was already hyper as ****, sugar just made me think im going to be more hyper.

but other foods affect me. KFC and Ramen, loud smelly farts, Kraft Mac N Cheese and Skittles, the same effect. Korn...well we all know there's no happy ending there. or chili, that hurts me and others as well. : P

StoicNate
07-26-11, 05:30 PM
When I don't eat the whole day, my ADHD and Anxiety acts up really bad.
I keep forgetting to eat or don't have money to buy food.

A nice hearty chili sounds very good right now.

Conman
07-26-11, 05:36 PM
actually that's a good point. if i dont have food for a while, and hungry that it hurts, i get very bothersome about wanting food. and im territorial about my food, i get hulk like if i dont get it when im supposed to

tudorose
07-26-11, 05:42 PM
totally. I try and avoid anything with too much artificial stuff. Saying that I got through uni on cheetos and pepsi max (pre dx)

tudorose
07-26-11, 05:44 PM
other thing I learned 10 yrs after dx when I finally found the product info online is that vitamin c flushed the meds out of ure system.

fracturedstory
07-26-11, 08:07 PM
Caffeine paralyzes me. Not really an over exaggeration. It can make my body feel stiff and lead to paralysis.

Avocado, leafy vegetables, fish (and other protein) and tomatoes have a positive effect on my symptoms. I suppose bread does too but because I eat white bread I get some energy but then crash. Eating wholemeal bread is like trying to eat a dry sponge.

Oranges give me a stomach ache so that slows me down a bit. I can't take a multivitamin because of the vitamin C in it.

Potato chips and other such packaged snacks can completely take away my focus.

Soft drink (soda) equals to instant brain fog.

Dairy makes me sniffly and er gives me IBS problems.

I remember when going off the GFCF diet that wheat did make me itchy, but that's hardly an ADHD issues though I do become distracted by it.

Chocolate can enhance my focus.

There this food flavour made from malt and barley that you put in milk called Milo and it works about half as well as my ADHD medication. It's what I drink on the weekends to wake up and focus some, because I take breaks from the Ritalin. And it doesn't make me hyper like fish oil supplements do.

philuk2000
07-26-11, 09:42 PM
Food makes a difference to me... but I don't get to the level of specific additives and the like.

I did a kind of clearing out... and now notice when I have processed foods containing additives...I'm also aware of the changes in me after low levels of caffeine or alcohol.

The things I am having issues with at the moment are gluten and dairy.... cheese just knocks me over... to the extent i daren't have it at lunchtime!

kilted

Interesting, I also seem to have reactions to alchohol but have noticed anything with cheese. I too had a clear out to discover my triggers.

philuk2000
07-26-11, 09:46 PM
Strangely enough sugar does not affect me very much if at all!

Conman
07-26-11, 09:47 PM
well yeah, sugar doesnt do anything to me...except make my teeth rot damnit!

philuk2000
07-26-11, 09:48 PM
When I don't eat the whole day, my ADHD and Anxiety acts up really bad.
I keep forgetting to eat or don't have money to buy food.

A nice hearty chili sounds very good right now.

I am exactly the same, if I keep to regular eating I am much better for it and it was even more noticable with lake of food PLUS caffine, that was a recipe for disaster!

I love a good chilli!!!!

philuk2000
07-26-11, 10:00 PM
Caffeine paralyzes me. Not really an over exaggeration. It can make my body feel stiff and lead to paralysis.

Avocado, leafy vegetables, fish (and other protein) and tomatoes have a positive effect on my symptoms. I suppose bread does too but because I eat white bread I get some energy but then crash. Eating wholemeal bread is like trying to eat a dry sponge.

Oranges give me a stomach ache so that slows me down a bit. I can't take a multivitamin because of the vitamin C in it.

Potato chips and other such packaged snacks can completely take away my focus.

Soft drink (soda) equals to instant brain fog.

Dairy makes me sniffly and er gives me IBS problems.

I remember when going off the GFCF diet that wheat did make me itchy, but that's hardly an ADHD issues though I do become distracted by it.

Chocolate can enhance my focus.

There this food flavour made from malt and barley that you put in milk called Milo and it works about half as well as my ADHD medication. It's what I drink on the weekends to wake up and focus some, because I take breaks from the Ritalin. And it doesn't make me hyper like fish oil supplements do.

I find this really interesting. What is the link with Vitamin C?

Chocolate does have an affect but I have not quite worked out what it is properly yet because it seems to make me feel well but my partner says I get a bit quick sharp / snappy when I have had it.

When I take antihistamines for my allergies they just zonk me out later in the day or really struggle to wake up if I have had one before bed but it also then puts me in a very serious mood for a while which I find odd.

Complex B vitamins have a similar effect when I initially take them for the first few days, I do not like my own mood, I seem to be less jovial.

I do not take an ADD/ADHD supplements.