View Full Version : timeframe to refill ambien

s10sleeper
07-28-11, 01:12 AM
Hello everyone, I am wondering something that I did not know if anyone has had any experience with. I have been on Ambien a couple of years, taking 10 mg a night, the largest pill they make, I was put on it by my neurologist. 2 weeks ago Friday with my psychiatrist started me on Vyvanse and since I was still having trouble sleeping he also increased my dosage to 1 and a half to 2 pills a night, 15 to 20mg, which is higher than the state allows for medicaid to cover so they would only fill 30 pills, which is about 15 days worth.

Anyways, since I have just started Vyvanse, I have had trouble sleeping and so have been having to take 2 pills a night most of the time. I contacted medicaid and found out that even though my psychiatrist has been trying to get a prior authorization to go through, Kansas medicaid still will not cover it. I have come up with the money and a way to the pharmacy and was wondering if anyone would know if they would allow a refill on the 28th since a full 15 days would be on saturday and the pharmacy is not open on weekends. Anyways, I have enough sleep meds to last until sunday, possibly monday, but I don't want to run the risk of running out and not being able to find a ride to the pharmacy since I don't have a license. I know that when I was filling it every 30 days that they did not have a problem with me filling it 2 days early although medicaid requires no sooner than the day before to cover it.

If lack of sleep did not cause my seizures to get worse I would not worry about it as I hate the side effects anyways, but I don't want to have a seizure when I go to work.

trishcan
07-28-11, 01:59 AM
It sounds like it's going to be a hassle to get that refilled, even though you've been technically taking it as directed. I think as long as your doctor was able to get in touch with the pharmacy and explain that he approves the refill, you should be able to pay cash for it up to 4 or 5 days before the time you would actually need (so around the 10th or 11th day). The biggest problem with filling more than a day or two early is insurance, but even with cash, pharmacies aren't likely to dispense Ambien early because it suggests that the person is abusing it. In the case of something like the pharmacy being closed when you'd be able to pick it up, it shouldn't be a problem.

But really, the only way to know is to call your doctor and the pharmacy specifically.

s10sleeper
07-28-11, 02:44 AM
Thanks for the reply, the pharmacy is aware of the way it has been filled as they are actually a part of the mental health center and are a small pharmacy. They were the ones who actually called in the first place to try to get a prior authorization so they are aware of it. As far as medicaid goes, I already know they will not cover it as I contacted them to ask about my coverage. They will only do 30 pills a month. I think what I will do is just contact the pharmacy and ask. If there is any trouble I will just have to tough it out as I have done that many times before, just makes the next day hard.

s10sleeper
07-28-11, 01:03 PM
Well, I contacted the pharmacy this morning, and they had no trouble refilling it as the doctor authorized the refills. Not only that, but this is a different pharmacy than I used to go to and when paying cash this time, the same amount was only half the cost of my old pharmacy, I was amazed, think I may have to transfer my other meds there.