View Full Version : Medication for Fatigue and Lack of Mental Alertness.

TheRoof
07-31-11, 04:53 PM
Hypothetical statement: Dopamine, Epinephrine, etc, in that class of medication. If your levels are stablized should one not suffer from other problem areas such as fatigue and depression?

I take Dextroamphetamine 15mg ER. Whilst it has done great things for my concentration and alertness (also really helped me with social anxiety. People are saying that I am more talkative and I look them in the eyes, to which I rarely have done before) but the problem i've struggled for a long time is... fatigue and tiredness. The medication has fixed everything but that. My doctor wants to put me on anti-depressants, but I don't like taking them. I've taken over 5 different ones, and they are incredibly sedating to me.

Maybe I toss and turn a lot when I sleep, so that translates to mental/awareness problems. I am just wondering what kind of medication has been proven to work for fatigue and lack of mental awareness?

My list of medication is this. (Once a Day, Every Day)
Dextroamphetamine
2 Multi-vitamins.
High Potency B-Vitamin
Fish Oil/Omega-3
Berry Antioxidant
Vitamin C - 500mg

selita
07-31-11, 09:31 PM
How is your general physical health? Iron, thyroid, lungs, heart? Exercise? Allergies? Asthma? Aches and pains?

I have a near-constant low-level asthma thing going on. I don't even notice it most of the time, but it sometimes does a number on my energy level.

insight needed
07-31-11, 10:57 PM
Another possible cause of daytime drowsiness is sleep apnea. One indicator is snoring--but it generally diagnosed via a sleep study. Might be worth talking to your M.D. about the possibility. As far as I know, people who have it don't necessarily believe that they are not sleeping well...

TheRoof
08-05-11, 03:28 PM
How is your general physical health? Iron, thyroid, lungs, heart? Exercise? Allergies? Asthma? Aches and pains?

I have a near-constant low-level asthma thing going on. I don't even notice it most of the time, but it sometimes does a number on my energy level.

My "general" health is okay, in regards to exercise I used to be able to be at the gym. Two hours a day, I can barely be able to do more than 30 minutes.

selita
08-05-11, 04:59 PM
A sleep study is a good idea.

I'd also drop the vitamins for a little while at least. Overdoses of several vitamins can cause tiredness and other problems. Supplements are supposed to balance an imbalanced diet or make up for metabolic problems. It IS possible to take too much. My doctor told me she doesn't believe in supplements for most people. I still take a multivitamin (I sometimes eat like an idiot), Omega-3 (I tend to get depressed if I don't), and Vitamin D (northern life).

http://www.vitaminstohealth.com/vitamin-overdose.html

At least cut down to 1 multivitamin and Omega-3 for a couple of weeks.

Ask your doctor for more ideas. Fatigue has so many potential causes, it's ridiculous.

TheRoof
08-10-11, 07:54 PM
A sleep study is a good idea.

I'd also drop the vitamins for a little while at least. Overdoses of several vitamins can cause tiredness and other problems. Supplements are supposed to balance an imbalanced diet or make up for metabolic problems. It IS possible to take too much. My doctor told me she doesn't believe in supplements for most people. I still take a multivitamin (I sometimes eat like an idiot), Omega-3 (I tend to get depressed if I don't), and Vitamin D (northern life).

http://www.vitaminstohealth.com/vitamin-overdose.html

At least cut down to 1 multivitamin and Omega-3 for a couple of weeks.

Ask your doctor for more ideas. Fatigue has so many potential causes, it's ridiculous.

Thank you, I've suffered from a case of depression, anxiety, and other psychological sympthoms.

The thing is. I can learn to control that. but Chronic Fatigue is something that stems into psychological as well as physical. I can't control it, because it's like asking a person who is in a wheelchair with no legs to jump a hurdle race. That is how I feel. I've worked on other things in my life, but Fatigue and Tiredness is something I can't fix. At all.

I cannot grow a pair of legs, (at least not at the moment) :(

Abi
08-10-11, 08:13 PM
I did not read anything besides the OP.

Okay, You need about 125 mcg Iodine and 500 mcg Chromium in those vitamin supplements. If not, get them separately.

As for medications, from personal experience, Wellbutrin ROCKS.

Good luck.

Garbanzo Dude
12-21-11, 09:59 PM
If want to try the natty route Rodelia Rosea is good, I might be spelling wrong.

cameron90
01-20-12, 08:07 PM
The only thing that I can think of besides natural treatments or antidepressants is modafinil (Provigil). It's indicated for sleep apnea, sleepiness and narcolepsy but its seems like something that would be worth a shot. I have been on it and I found it to be quite a gentle medication with no noticeable side effects. I'm not sure about its use in conjunction with dextroamphetamine though.