View Full Version : what can I take when my adderall runs out?

sarahsweets
08-01-11, 07:34 AM
My curious cat likes to sleep in cabinets. She knocked my adderall bottle off the microwave and the lid must have been loose. Needless to say I had soggy dissolved adderall in my sink. I'm not do for a refill for 2weeks. Besides fish oil is there anything else I can take that would help?

Rebelyell
08-01-11, 11:16 AM
Take the pills to the pharmacist and explain what happened,and they'll call the dr.

AddledSquirrel
08-01-11, 11:30 AM
You might be able to get a refill especially if you've never had one before. Worth a shot.

Failing that - when I was a teenager (undiagnosed) I would self medicate before a test by taking No-Doz.

Rebelyell
08-01-11, 12:40 PM
The nters are very critical of us when it comes to losing meds things etc.They dont understand how easy it is or hard for us rather to keep track of things.I had lost my meds a few years back,honest to a t w the dr.She looked at me like I was handing them out like candy,she asked me if I was handing them out.Talked to me like I was a idiot too.Who the hell gives anti depressants out that arent even addictive. Hell Id throw em out before I gave em away.

selita
08-01-11, 01:56 PM
Didn't that just happen to you recently? You've really gotta find a better place to stash this stuff. Or keep your pills in a waterproof container, maybe a peanut butter jar?

There are "energy" supplements in the vitamin section of the drug store, you might find something there. Probably nothing as effective though. :(

abk1337
08-01-11, 01:57 PM
Go to a vitaminn shoppe and buy a thermogenic. I prefer oxyelite pro. Take one in morning and one later on and if you work night and day take a third.

It's similar to adderall. (not chemistry wise but effect wise)

iJuston
08-01-11, 02:01 PM
I ran out my adderall and have been calling doc for two days now. I am sceduled to wrok tonight, and I am afraid of having another "behavior problem" and get myself fired.

abk1337
08-01-11, 02:27 PM
Have some self control, you'll be fine.

sarahsweets
08-01-11, 03:07 PM
Well the pharmacy was full of innuendo so I dropped it. I never expected my cat to manage this one but the poor thing is deaf and senile. I won't go to doc for it as much as she likes me its just her policy

Pamplemousse
08-01-11, 03:10 PM
Some energy drinks help. Monster and Red Bull are really the only two that work for me though.

Some have mass amounts of caffeine and I read somewhere that 100mg of caffeine is almost equivalent to 5mg of Ritalin...but not quite. A regular monster energy has something like 160mg of caffeine or something, and a whole bunch of "focus enhancing" supplements. Whatever, works a little for me on days I don't take my Ritalin.

Simenora
08-01-11, 03:22 PM
Have some self control, you'll be fine.

That sounds awfully NT abk. Can you go run around the block a few times Sarah? It would be a good time to take that 12 mile hike up the side of the mountain... but don't forget the bug spray, sunscreen........and don't forget to not forget...

abk1337
08-01-11, 03:34 PM
That sounds awfully NT abk. Can you go run around the block a few times Sarah? It would be a good time to take that 12 mile hike up the side of the mountain... but don't forget the bug spray, sunscreen........and don't forget to not forget...
An energy drink + what simenora said == success

BalanceisKey
08-01-11, 07:07 PM
Go to a vitaminn shoppe and buy a thermogenic. I prefer oxyelite pro. Take one in morning and one later on and if you work night and day take a third.

It's similar to adderall. (not chemistry wise but effect wise)

this.......spirodex works ok also( These are the only things even close to the effect of adderall )

Hyperman87
08-01-11, 07:57 PM
Oh my I'm so sorry really as I fellow ADHDer I know how tough it is to be without your meds. Maybe next time your doc could double up you dose so you'd have enough for two months.No one with ADHD who feels they needs meds should have to go without them. When I can't relax at all.I'll just pop my Adderall That's right I got ADHD.LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IS_v77asiw&feature=player_embedded

Hyperman87
08-01-11, 08:13 PM
You should get one of those weekly pill organisers and take out only what you need for the week stash the rest in a very safe cool place so they don't crumble apart due to the heat or water coming in contact with them. But seriously Sarah I feel your pain I went three whole weeks with out Adderall a couple of months back because I was being stupid and impulsive,felt that I couldn't take the side-effects and flushed what was left of the Adderall I had afterward knowing about the nationwide Adderall shortage and how hard it had been for me to get any ADHD meds period for like 8 years of battling with the insurance companies over prior authorization, Doctors not wanting to prescribe I could not believe just because of a few side effects I would do something so stupid and at the time it was intentional.Within 24 hours I felt miserable because outside of few side-effects things were better than they'd been for me in many years. So now I do a much better job of taking care of my meds and working with my doc so I don't get frustrated because of side-effects.I've been on Adderall now almost every day for about 2 months.

sarahsweets
08-01-11, 09:01 PM
Funny thing is I do use a pill box for my meds I just keep adderall in its bottle to remind me. And I never thought my senile old cat could make such trouble with such precise aim. I swear if cats had expressions and could talk she would have said :"now what bi**h!!"

iJuston
08-03-11, 03:15 AM
Doc finally called back and left message saying, "I have no idea what you were talking about, gimmie a jingle again." It will be another 3 days before I hear from him. "which part of I AM OUT OF MEDS does he not understand? This really stinks. I want my roller coaster free life back.

pedalpounder
08-03-11, 03:24 AM
Ooo, you don't have a secret stash eh?

Everytime I skip a dose I put it in my secret stash. Problem is, my secret stash is mostly used up by refill-procrastination.

Did you preserve the soaked up capsules for evidence?
You could always just accept it and live without it for 2 weeks. Withdrawal for 3 days, then ADHD symptoms for 11 days.

AronP24
08-03-11, 05:57 AM
SOOOO what you're saying is you took them all before it's time for a refill...

Happened to most of us once or twice ;)

Especially since the formula was changed a few years to include more saccharine and other fillers such as glucose and artificial colors..while the active ingredients were reduced...but that's an entirely separate subject :)

Just gotta be careful..them little guys can run out before ya know it.

-Cheers

soccerboy
08-03-11, 02:53 PM
Keep life as simple as you can the next couple weeks! Im new to adderall and I already have a secret stash after one months perscription! I do weekends off when I'm camping or when I am traveling. So i'll have four or 4 little pills left to start a secret stash hehe.

Rebelyell
08-03-11, 03:55 PM
Id say smoke crack JK but Thatll probably get me banned by the mods. I dont know what to tell you,are you that bad off meds that you couldnt deal w it for a week or 2.I mean some people have dealt w it all there life before finding out,they made it that far w out meds whats 2 weeks?

siglerja
08-03-11, 04:03 PM
You can just explain to the doctor that it was a one-time incident and she'll almost certainly refill it for you early. This happens -all the time-. I've called in extra scripts six times this year, it's never an issue.

BR549
08-03-11, 04:10 PM

Especially since the formula was changed a few years to include more saccharine and other fillers such as glucose and artificial colors..while the active ingredients were reduced...but that's an entirely separate subject :)

-Cheers

I really hope you are kidding. Seriously.

While there are people who do take more than prescribed, most of us(when I say most of us I mean most of us here on this forum) are careful with our meds. If we need an increase because the medication isn't effective, we'll talk to the doc about it. Especially Sarahsweets.

I'm going to go with you're just kidding. Because if you've ever read any of Sarahsweets responses to those who take more medication than prescribed or take meds without a script, you'd know she doesn't mess with her ADHD meds. ;)

sarahsweets
08-03-11, 04:29 PM

-Cheers
This must be a joke. Assuming your ignorance is a stab at humor i'll explain myself. All pills in an organizer. Adderall is left in its bottle on top of my microwave. My cat is just crazy and old. I did not save dissolved pills to show anyone. Anyone although I guess I should have. I would rather go. 10days without then bring suspicion over a one time thing.

siglerja
08-03-11, 04:32 PM
And yeah, sarah is one of the most conservative and level-headed people on the boards. If she says robots broke into her house, shot lasers at her and demanded she give them all of her Adderall, I'd probably believe her and begin fortifying my own place against pill-stealing robot attacks.

425runner
08-03-11, 04:39 PM
Diet Red Bull and L-tyrosine will help till you get your script. Get a strong b-complex 100 mg too.

kgloverii
08-03-11, 08:14 PM
Sudafed. The kind you get from the pharmacist.

Dextro3r
08-03-11, 11:06 PM
yes i second the sudafed idea. back in the day before i was put on adderall i used to self-medicate with pseudoephedrine and coffee to help me focus and study. make sure you get the one that actually has pseudoephedrine in it. it is an amphetamine just like adderall, so it helps.

honestly though if that happened to me, i would have saved the dissolved mess (that's if my sink is clean). i would have approximated how many pills were contaminated, and then dosed accordingly using liquid measurements and make a note if the dose needed adjustment due to the loss of some of the active ingredient. i would probably store it in the fridge to prevent the growth of mold.

AronP24
08-04-11, 07:25 AM
Doctors are funny about these controlled meds these days...
Last July my Vyvanse script was accidentally thrown away by a car cleaning crew. It was never filled..my pharmacist AND insurance co. talked to my doctor but she simply would not re-write another one..I was very upset but she said the FDA or some such would be on her **** for multiple scripts...not sure about that since it was a one time thing...but from what I hear I'm not alone in this experience.

iJuston
08-04-11, 10:10 AM
DEA as in drug enforcement agency :)

siglerja
08-04-11, 11:26 AM
Whatever. Doctors are paranoid. The FDA/DEA doesn't even sniff someone unless they have numerous flags or a proven, printed, stapled report of fraud dropped on an auditor's desk. I don't blame them since I'd be terrified of losing my license if I spent 10 years or so working to get it, but there's a difference between being vigilant and being inflexible in a way that is detrimental to your patients.

sarahsweets
08-04-11, 12:30 PM
What about extra b12 and b complex would that help?

siglerja
08-04-11, 01:05 PM
I don't like to circulate these bootleg pharm secrets often but I suppose the situation warrants it.

The closest you're going to find to actual Adderall is ephedrine, which while difficult to buy these days, isn't impossible to buy. It isn't illegal, it's just illegal to sell in certain types in certain states. It's a lightweight stimulant that is nearly identical to amphetamine in chemical composition and effect. Weightlifters and workout fanatics have been using this stuff since the dawn of time and I actually self-medicated with it forever before going on ADHD meds. It was used in cold medicine and eventually transitioned into pseudophedrine, it has been taken off the market in most cases due to the meth boom and people dying from taking 500 of them at a time.

Check around online and with supplement / nutrition stores in your area and see if anyone has it. Ordering online can be hit or miss with the goofy laws regarding epedrine sales depending on location, but you can find it if you spend time checking around.

If you stike out there, go to your local CVS / Walgreens and buy Bronch-Aid from behind the counter. It contains ephedrine and gufastien, an expectorant. Also pick up a bottle of JetAlert or No-Doz Caffiene tablets, they'll be next to the sleeping pills.

Take 2 Bronch-Aid tablets with 2 JetAlerts in the morning and repeat again in the afternoon if needed. Some people throw an Asprin into this combo but it's not really needed, it's mostly included for those who get racing hearts and aren't used to amphetamines (which is not us, obviously.)

This is literally the closest OTC Adderall replacement availible. Tyroblah blah and Vitamin blah blah blah Taurine whatever blah blah, this is better and it should easily get you through.

siglerja
08-04-11, 01:13 PM
Also, if you buy epedrine, avoid products advertising 'epedrea' and all of that nonsense. You want ephedrine HCL or Vasopro epehdrine, in 12 or 25 weight, anything that isn't clearly stated as such on an active ingredient chart is bootleg and won't work. The liquid gels come in 12.5 and the tabs come in 25mg, though the tabs are harder to find.

BalanceisKey
08-04-11, 04:07 PM
Also, if you buy epedrine, avoid products advertising 'epedrea' and all of that nonsense. You want ephedrine HCL or Vasopro epehdrine, in 12 or 25 weight, anything that isn't clearly stated as such on an active ingredient chart is bootleg and won't work. The liquid gels come in 12.5 and the tabs come in 25mg, though the tabs are harder to find.

this........but 1,3 dimethylamylamine works better then ephedrine for me

AronP24
08-05-11, 06:27 AM
this........but 1,3 dimethylamylamine works better then ephedrine for me

1,3 is a synthetic derivative of Geranium..it is also neuro-toxic.
A lot of bb supplements included it over the last few years..most are now getting rid of it...while good for some 'momentary' energy, the crash that it causes is unbearable to most people..myself included..the stuff put me into a nauseating funk that takes a while to recover from.

Your BEST bet..though, NOTHING will replicate an amphetamine other than another amphetamine (or derivative thereof), is going to be the E/C stack

Ephedrine/Caffeine
Your Ephedrine can be found OTC as BronkAid, etc.

http://www.hotnfit.com/ecstack.htm

Here is a link describing the best way to take the stack for losing weight..however, I have found that it is also very good in explaining it for
energy usage as well.

The media has painted ephedrine as a terrible villain because of a few VERY rare incidents in the 90's and early 2000's with people who had prior existing conditions..but I will tell yout this..I would take E/C over a longer extended time than I would ever consider taking tylenol or advil...

Give it a try...you may even find yourself getting into shape if that is what you wish :cool:

siglerja
08-05-11, 12:39 PM
I would strongly discourage people from combining the ephedrine stack with any other stimulants, especially Adderall or Ritalin. It's a good cure for the fatigue and blahs of withdrawal but it's not chemically geared towards any sort of theraputic benefit for ADD.

The drug industry is making trillions of dollars off of ADHD medications. If there is a remotely safe and even borderline effective way to market 1,3 dimethylamylamine in any way, shape or form, they would have cashed in on it by now. Same goes for tyro and HTP and the rest of them. Virtually zero scientific studies on its effects long-term and zero scientific studies on the effects of it paired with medication. Even the mentamine stack that people are using is controversial, a shrink is Boston lost their license for perscribing it when it nearly killed a patient.

ideaman
08-05-11, 05:17 PM
The drug industry is making trillions of dollars off of ADHD medications. If there is a remotely safe and even borderline effective way to market 1,3 dimethylamylamine in any way, shape or form, they would have cashed in on it by now. Same goes for tyro and HTP and the rest of them.

This argument works the other way, too. Any medications that are off-patent and might be therapeutic are out of luck for getting into clinical trials, etc. But they still might be promising substances. I'm thinking of amantadine as an example.

Jwolf78
06-05-13, 02:01 AM
It's been 2 years, I think she got her refill by now. :)

Kingpin82
06-05-13, 02:11 AM
I have the same problem with Dexedrine. My doc refuses to let me take more that 45mg a day, and I need to take it every 2 1/2 hours otherwise I fall off to sleep. AT the end of 8 hours I just sleep for like 14 hours.

My doc refuses to increase my dose.

CthulhuMinion
06-05-13, 02:38 AM
You could try Kratom. In low doses it's a stimulant and it also releases dopamine. Don't do it everyday though. It is somewhat addictive, though I doubt that can happen in 2 weeks.

It's just a plant that acts on the MU receptors, sorta like an opiate but with energy and no nodding off and feeling doped up. For example, I can operate a car or heavy machinery while I am on it. Everyone is different, though.

Abi
06-05-13, 02:45 AM
Okay, I just googled that stuff, and while legal, has not been tested by the FDA {or any other reliable organisation}

People seem to think things are safe because they are "natural" but that's not necesssarily true.

I don't know enough about the stuff to really have a conclusive opinion, but you should do your research before trying any of this stuff.

mr. karl
06-05-13, 04:01 PM
5 hour energy. 200 mg caffeine plus a nice energy blend that brings me down. It has some Tyrosine something and a blast of B vitamins. 2nd/3rd pseudophedrine. 2nd monster. Also, I have tried phosphatidylserine because I saw it mentioned somewhere on here. Slight stimulation effect for me. Sounded like others have had good success. Also, GABA is good for focus and anxiety. I used to take Mega Men, and that has a blast of stuff that stimulated the brain.

MrMike223
06-05-13, 06:24 PM
Wow, that's horrible! Especially if you've been on it for a minute, and need it to function normally! I find that Tramadol has a similar effect on my mood and concentration as my Adderall... but of course Ive been taking the tramadol many years and have scrips for it...

Jwolf78
06-05-13, 07:23 PM
People seem to think things are safe because they are "natural" but that's not necesssarily true.

Lead is natural, ricin is natural, cyanide is natural, anthrax is natural, herpes are natural. Yep I think you're right!

CthulhuMinion
06-06-13, 09:50 PM
Okay, I just googled that stuff, and while legal, has not been tested by the FDA {or any other reliable organisation}

I don't know enough about the stuff to really have a conclusive opinion, but you should do your research before trying any of this stuff.

I'm not disagreeing with you about researching it, but the FDA is hardly a reliable organization. I mean, they are the ones who say Aspartame is ok to consume. I totally understand your concern, in fact I appreciate you looking out for everyone here. I just need to preserve my credibility. I probably should have put this info in my previous post to begin with.

I have researched Kratom, extensively, every single day for a year straight. I can say without a doubt, it is addictive. However, that is the only downside of it. It is never fatal unless combined with other dangerous drugs like benzos or alcohol, and even with those combinations it is unlikely.

Positive effects:

Packed with antioxidants
High amount of fiber
Lowers blood pressure (usually a good thing)
Relieves pain
Boosts productivity (in low doses)
Promotes relaxation (in high doses)

Negative effects:

Can cause nausea (if too much is consumed)
Can cause vomiting (overdose, never fatal. Just an hour or so of discomfort)
Can be both physically and psychologically addictive (like any drug that stimulates the MU receptors)
Can cause headache and hangover when large amounts are consumed
Can cause insomnia if taken too late

I'm not here to sell or promote anything. I just want everyone here to know that I would NEVER endorse the use of a drug that I didn't know was safe.

DegreeHunter
06-08-13, 04:30 PM

The word "natural" is nothing more than a marketing gimmick to fool the masses.

1,3 dimeth was pulled from bodybuilding websites for a reason and to openly suggest that someone go ahead and use ephedrine without knowing a thing about them is ridiculous.

Nothing will replace the Adderall, so you are better off just sticking to the basics and fighting through the 2 weeks.

Take your vitamins, drink your fluids and stay active; consider it a detox period. It's a good time to evaluate how you feel and function without the meds as well.

kolaborator
06-08-13, 08:06 PM
i'm not disagreeing with you about researching it, but the fda is hardly a reliable organization. I mean, they are the ones who say aspartame is ok to consume. I totally understand your concern, in fact i appreciate you looking out for everyone here. I just need to preserve my credibility. I probably should have put this info in my previous post to begin with.

edit.

425runner
06-08-13, 08:44 PM
I drink 5-hr energy shots and take l-tyrosine 500mg on empty stomach on days I forget to get a refill or take my Dexedrine. It seems to work fine as a temporary replacement....

peripatetic
06-08-13, 11:25 PM
moderator note

thread closed for review and because this is a revival of a long faded thread with a question from two years ago.

whilst being reviewed all are advised to read our guidelines concerning medications. no posts allowed that encourage/support misuse or illegal usage of substances in violation of US federal law or opposed to prescribing instructions.

the medication guideline is found here: http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15842