View Full Version : Does excersize help your ADHD?

philuk2000
08-01-11, 10:50 AM
Well thats the question.

I have been very feeling depressed lately (3 -4 weeks), I wont take meds so today I went running to finally try to get a grip on it and I do feel in a better mood now!

I just wondered if anyone here who excersizes regularly finds it helps with their ADD/ADHD symptoms.

of_two_minds
08-01-11, 11:11 AM
I've been exercising regularly for so many years that I don't know if it makes me feel better or not. ;)

That being said, I usually feel pretty darn good right in the middle of it. Then when it's over I'm back to where I started from, psychologically speaking.

ADDisme2010
08-01-11, 12:07 PM
Exercise definately can help with ADHD and depression. It releases endorphins while you exercise which in turn boosts your mood.
I feel better when I exercise regularly. My husband is also ADD, and controls his mainly by DAILY exercise and diet. He is a work-out freak though...lol, but he controls the ADHD this way with-out taking medication.
I feel better while taking medication, so for me, it is a combination of multiples treatments for ADHD.

Quintessence
08-01-11, 02:06 PM
I feel better when I exercise too. I get to release a lot of energy and I feel relaxed after. I've found that I like to workout more in the afternoons than in the morning.

Johnnny
08-01-11, 02:12 PM
If you enjoy exercising like someone else enjoys a hobby than thats great. Work out, learn about the body and boost confidence by feeling great!!

anonymouslyadd
08-01-11, 02:42 PM
If I could exercise like I did when I was a kid, I wouldn't have some of the symptoms I struggle with in terms of ADD.

of_two_minds
08-01-11, 05:06 PM
If I could exercise like I did when I was a kid, I wouldn't have some of the symptoms I struggle with in terms of ADD.

Are your limitations physical or ADD-related?

Hydrostatic
08-01-11, 05:20 PM
27 years as a biped, and I've only recently taken up jogging. You eventually get used to the funny liquid that seems to come out of your skin (I forget the word for it.)

Facts:
•Weight-lifting causes the muscle-fibers to tear (hence the soreness) which releases a certain protein into the blood; this protein commands the brain to grow new neurons. "It's like miracle-gro for the brain."
•Stress is caused by the hormone cortisol. Exercising neutralizes cortisol.
•Exercising pumps more blood to your muscles, and to the brain. It primes the blood vessels in the brain to carry more blood even when you're eating cocoa-puffs while browsing those "ADD Forums."
•When your body is in high gear, it squirts out extra dopamine and serotonin. "10 minutes of exercise has the effect of a dose of Prozac and a dose of Ritalin combined." (I recall hearing about an episode of "Intervention" in which the "addict" would exercise compulsively.)
•Exercise switches the forebrain to powersave-mode. So, for people whose heads are always in the clouds, it introduces gravity. If you're a bit unhinged, like my crazy self, exercising engenders sanity, a state of mind which I could get used to.

All of this taken from John Ratey's book "Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain". I know: for an ADHD-er who is able to write a book, maybe Ratey is on to something.
http://www.amazon.com/Spark-Revolutionary-Science-Exercise-Brain/dp/0316113506

So yes, I find that it totally helps.

philuk2000
08-02-11, 07:33 AM
Exercise definately can help with ADHD and depression. It releases endorphins while you exercise which in turn boosts your mood.
I feel better when I exercise regularly. My husband is also ADD, and controls his mainly by DAILY exercise and diet. He is a work-out freak though...lol, but he controls the ADHD this way with-out taking medication.
I feel better while taking medication, so for me, it is a combination of multiples treatments for ADHD.

I can relate to what your husband is doing, I also wish to control my ADHD in ways other than medication - I have never been medicated and I am also a work-a-holic (when I can complete tasks! :D )

Exercise has definitely helped with my depression!!!

bruukswuzheer
08-02-11, 08:08 AM
Well thats the question.

I have been very feeling depressed lately (3 -4 weeks), I wont take meds so today I went running to finally try to get a grip on it and I do feel in a better mood now!

I just wondered if anyone here who excersizes regularly finds it helps with their ADD/ADHD symptoms.

Exercising has many benefits. a previous poster did a great job of listing all the positive effects it has for us. anything that helps us have a good state of mind and elevates our moods is good for us.

Does it "help" ADD? well anything that puts us in a better state of being gives us a better chance at rolling with the ADD. every negative symptom we experience that may not be directly from the ADD. So some of the symptoms that exercise alleviates, while awesome, probably do not help with the ADD directly, but definitely helps us feel better and think clearer. getting the extra blood flowing in our brain is tremendous. the greater volume of oxygen we consume, combined with the deeper breathing has many huge benefits. Not to mention out limbic system can be supercharged due higher levels of movement and circulation.

Komod0Dragon
09-07-11, 09:38 PM
Well thats the question.

I used to be rather overweight though not obese (5' 7" @ 220lbs) and after going to the gym for 5 months and eating more healthily, I went down to 152lbs at the lowest and now stay at a steady 157-165lbs for the last 7 months or so.

What I do now is going to the gym 2-4 times a week. I gain self-esteem from looking fit and that helps with the depression parts of co-existing with ADHD-PI.

It gives you energy if you work out in the morning and go to work. Unfortunately for me, I don't work out until after work at 11pm CST. So I have a huge burst of energy the entire night until I take some melatonin to feel sleepy.

In short, if you work out prior to work or school, you will feel a surge of energy that *lasts* the entire day (for me).

Here's a brief overview of my regime. I combine muscle groups that are a good combination and a synergy whilst doing a work-out.

For each muscle group, I do 3 exercises a piece. So for Chest I'll do 3, Triceps 3. So each day I do about 6, excluding a warm-up and if I feel I can get away with a 4th depending on how fatigued I feel.

Monday - Chest & Triceps (takes me about 45min - 1 hour to do)
Tuesday - Biceps & Forearms (30 minutes is how much it usually)
Wednesday - Hamstrings & Quads aka Thighs (30min - 1 hour, sometimes I include calves depending on fatigue)
Thursday - Deltoids, Traps, Lats which are all back muscles (45min - 1 hour)

Then I relax from Friday to Monday. You can see I don't work out the stomach on any particular day. If there's time, I'll squeeze it into my work-out no matter what the day is. Usually on my bicep & forearms day and my legs work-out day.

As a summary, it provides me with energy and while working out, I always have increased focus since some of the work outs can severly injure you.

edit: I did want to mention, I'm not a big person and not naturally strong. Most I can bench press is 135lbs and I still do bicep curls with 10lb dumbbells. Even before I starting working out, most I could bench was about 75lbs or so. If there's anything that motivates me, it's working out regularly.

The soreness as mentioned above, motivates me to do it continually as I know the muscles are strengthening over time.

Oh yes and I'm not very energetic and do have problems with my right knee, so jogging is out of the picture for me. Aerobic exercises require more energy than I could give since it has to be done every day...I just don't have that sort of willpower or motivation.

Hathor
09-07-11, 10:40 PM
for me it helps more with the co morbid social anxiety and depression that with the attention problems.

I find it better to exercise nearly every day - even if every second day or so is more ideal, because every day I take off of exercising makes it harder to start exercising again - if I miss a few days in a row because I can't make it to the gym I often end up quitting entirely. :(

pedalpounder
09-07-11, 11:28 PM
Exercise helps everything.