View Full Version : A link to an article I wrote for Heartspring's Worldwide Autism Resource

tambourine-man
08-02-11, 09:47 PM
http://www.heartspring.org/care/blogpost/nice-to-meet-you-can-we-talk-about-my-latest

Lunacie
08-03-11, 12:20 PM
http://www.heartspring.org/care/blogpost/nice-to-meet-you-can-we-talk-about-my-latest

Great article.

Gotta admit, I never even noticed your location. I was sitting here thinking ...
is Heartspring a national support system? Finally I looked at your location and
realized that you're talking about the Heartspring in Wichita.

Because we are just across the county line from Heartspring, we haven't gotten
involved with any of the services available through Heartspring. Although my
granddaughter's therapist recently mentioned that they have a live-in program
for times when the parent/family can't handle the Autistic child in the home.
That's good to know, but hopefully we won't need it.

I tend to feel guilty because we didn't have any idea what the problem was
(although we realized there WAS a problem) until she was 5. But she's had lots
of therapy and various meds since then. I give big kudos to South Central Mental
Health association and the great work the therapist and case managers have
done with her. Especially the summer camps she was able to attend when she
was 7 and 8. Some of the things you're still struggling to learn, she has had
some practice at already. She still has a ways to go, and she'll always be Autistic
and struggle with comprehending an NT world from her Autistic perspective.

I'm glad to hear you're getting some therapy now, and I'm sorry you had to wait
so long. Still, it's better than my story, I'm 60 and I was only diagnosed recently
and just started getting therapy last week.

fracturedstory
08-03-11, 09:02 PM
I love it. I have a blog too linked in my signature if you want to check it out. There's a lot of autistic bloggers out there but I can't find one that I err...like. Like enough to keep checking for updates that is.

We got a lot in common. Well, that does tend to happen when you have a similar condition.

I once told someone they could have anxiety or Bipolar when they were just opening up their issues to me. I always feel like telling people that they may have anxiety or depression but know now to keep it to myself. Is it offensive to tell someone they put on a lot of weight because they went on Effexor?

I've been known to take my obsessions too far too. Band photographer for 6 years who got into shows for free, took photos for magazines and bands, and got backstage with the bands and didn't realise it was such a big thing.

Now I'm writing book 1 of a 5 or 6 part sci-fi series. People don't show much support, maybe because it's all I really do. But I finally found something that I'm good at and can stay with to the end.

BR549
08-03-11, 11:26 PM
That is fantastic, TB! Really great article!

tambourine-man
08-05-11, 02:43 AM
Thanks a ton guys! It has been a very strange journey! I really appreciate the support. I knew something was going on... but I just chocked it up to severe, life-threatening ADHD. I will have a blog on their website every week! Next week's blog is "Special Mommys for Special Kids."

tambourine-man
08-05-11, 02:51 AM
Great blog page Fractured. I REALLY got into it. Ritalin does the same things for you that Adderall does for me. I thought I was the only one to experience reduced sensory integration issues on stimulants.

And Lunacie, who'da thunk you'd be so close?

Lunacie
08-05-11, 10:07 AM
Great blog page Fractured. I REALLY got into it. Ritalin does the same things for you that Adderall does for me. I thought I was the only one to experience reduced sensory integration issues on stimulants.

And Lunacie, who'da thunk you'd be so close?

Yeah, don't know why I'd never noticed your location before.

It'd be great to meet you sometime, and bring my grandkids along.

We all have a lot in common.

Wait ... did you say you and Fractured have experienced reduced symptoms
of Sensory Processing Disorder (integration) from taking stimulant meds?

If only I could afford to give them a trial myself. This is one of the things I'm
working on with the therapist.

fracturedstory
08-05-11, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the support. Wow, you are the only other person that I know of that stimulant medication actually helps sensory issues with.

Lunacie, it seems sensory issues are not always helped by the medication. On WrongPlanet a lot of people said that it made them worse, so I don't know what's going on there. Maybe it depends on which disorder is more responsible for the issues in the first place. My sensory issues are kind of acquired.

anonymouslyadd
08-05-11, 08:32 PM
Congratulations man!

tambourine-man
08-06-11, 12:51 AM
Stimulants help me tune out some of the sensory issues that would overload me and send me into a panic. Vacuum cleaners? Oh my, I'm like a Yorkshire terrier on the fourth of July around those things. And I'd love to visit with you lunacy. Why can't you afford stimulants? They have generic Ritalin almost as cheap as a bottle of omega 3. If your doc doesn't like ir meds just tell him xr isn't affordable. Also there are some great script assistance plans. You can get vyvanse for free!

Lunacie
08-06-11, 09:08 AM
Stimulants help me tune out some of the sensory issues that would overload me and send me into a panic. Vacuum cleaners? Oh my, I'm like a Yorkshire terrier on the fourth of July around those things. And I'd love to visit with you lunacy. Why can't you afford stimulants? They have generic Ritalin almost as cheap as a bottle of omega 3. If your doc doesn't like ir meds just tell him xr isn't affordable. Also there are some great script assistance plans. You can get vyvanse for free!

Yeah, vacumn cleaners are the pits for me - unless I'm the one running them, then I can deal with them. The drill in the dentist's office has the same effect.

I don't have any health insurance to pay for doctor visits or meds. I got a windfall check of $3,000 from my dad's estate that I'm using to pay for a therapist and a psychiatrist until it runs out - and that's after I had some much needed work done on my car and have to save enough of it to buy new tires.

I thought the generic stims were still about $30 a month, which is about ten times what I pay for Omega 3. But I forgot to mention that I probably can't take stims because I have high blood pressure. I didn't even ask the psychiatrist about stims because of that problem, just wanted to deal with the depression before I got suicidal again - been there, done that, don't want a return ticket. Love that the Celexa (generic) also helps with the anxiety.

Guess we should PM and figure out how to set up a meeting, that would be great. I'd like to know more about Heartspring. If we lived on your side of the county line we'd probably be taking my granddaughter there.

pechemignonne
08-06-11, 09:22 AM
Great article, tambourine-man! Really gave an insight as to how Aspergers and ADHD can interact to make social situations really difficult.

I get similar obsessions, by the by. Drive people crazy with them because they are *all* I talk about. Fun fact: when I was 11 it was Lady Jane Grey, the 9-days-Queen. So when Halloween came around, I dressed up as her. So it was me, dressed in medieval prison garb, and Hulk Hogan, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and a bunch of fairies and princesses. "Nobody gets me," I later cried. I can laugh now, but I can still see the faces of the nice ladies who asked me "And what are *you* dressed up as?", not to mention the other kids. "I'm Lady Jane Grey, the 9 Days Queen. She was executed for political reasons, and she spent her reign in the Tower of London! Being tortured and starved!"

How do they differentiate between Aspie and ADHD on the hyperfocusing front?

fracturedstory
08-06-11, 08:12 PM
I view hyperfocusing as focus given to something suddenly with no preparation and it lasts until you become tired or get bored from it. Something grabs your interest or you an idea to do something and you just launch into it without even thinking. People with AS have special interests which becomes their world. It's all they focus on, talk about and think about even when they're not doing it. They last between a few months to a few years.

Fortune
08-09-11, 04:09 AM
When I started Ritalin my sensory issues got a lot worse. At the time I thought it was Ritalin, but I think now it was just that I was getting overloaded a lot as it was. That's happening less lately and I am not noticing any problems with the Ritalin.

TygerSan
08-09-11, 10:04 AM
I'm not exactly autistic, but I do relate somewhat to the idea of special interests. I used to make my parents read first aid handbooks as bedtime stories . . . I think in a lot of cases the difference between hyperfocus and a special interest is the length and intensity with which the activity is pursued.

Where I get caught up is when I play video games, I can basically sit for 5-6 hours a day, and all I do when I'm not playing is think about strategies to beat the level that I'm on . . . sometimes it's not even *fun* anymore, but I can't stop. It's not quite a special interest because I'm not researching everything known about the game, but it's such a strong hyperfocus.

Oh, and this made me smile (I've had some interesting halloween costumes over the years)

I get similar obsessions, by the by. Drive people crazy with them because they are *all* I talk about. Fun fact: when I was 11 it was Lady Jane Grey, the 9-days-Queen. So when Halloween came around, I dressed up as her. So it was me, dressed in medieval prison garb, and Hulk Hogan, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and a bunch of fairies and princesses. "Nobody gets me," I later cried. I can laugh now, but I can still see the faces of the nice ladies who asked me "And what are *you* dressed up as?", not to mention the other kids. "I'm Lady Jane Grey, the 9 Days Queen. She was executed for political reasons, and she spent her reign in the Tower of London! Being tortured and starved!"Reminds me of this:

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Thh33Whg68o" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="349" width="560"></iframe>

fracturedstory
08-09-11, 07:38 PM
Ritalin would have made you more focused on your sensory issues. It's hard to explain but I do better in supermarkets on Ritalin than without. It's like I can separate the visual clutter as individual objects. I still get stressed out but I don't, you know, shut down or have a meltdown.

I can't watch that video from my location but I always that kid was a bit AS. Or at least gifted.

I get obsessed with videogames too even when I want to stop because I keep losing.

Fortune
08-09-11, 10:26 PM
Well, I mean I was in a supermarket right after I took Ritalin today and while it was extremely frustrating and overloading, I didn't get close to shutting down like I was at first.

Lately (since January) if I play video games too long I just get exhausted and have to stop. Too long is like an hour or more.

TygerSan
08-10-11, 08:31 AM
Sorry, I didn't realize that the clip wouldn't play out of country :(

Basically, Brick dresses up as Charles McKenzie, kilt and all; he expects his parents to get his costume from the clue of "I died of a bayonet wound in the first world war" And yes, though it's never explicitly said in show (though he does go to social skills class), I believe that he could easily be on spectrum.

And this:
I get obsessed with videogames too even when I want to stop because I keep losing.

is me exactly. I've actually gotten so frustrated I've essentially had a meltdown . . . and then picked back up again. Why, I really couldn't tell you.

tambourine-man
08-12-11, 01:22 PM
Here is my latest blog...

http://www.heartspring.org/care/blogpost/special-mothers

tambourine-man
08-12-11, 01:27 PM
I think you nailed it fractured. My obsessions do indeed overtake my world, and often the world of everyone around me, much to their chagrin.

Lunacie
08-12-11, 01:47 PM
Here is my latest blog...

http://www.heartspring.org/care/blogpost/special-mothers

Very good.

As much as I'd enjoy meeting you, I think I'd really like to meet your mom.

Wish my mom had been more like her, my mom wanted the perfect family
with perfect kids, I think. Instead she got me. And a brother who was
damaged during a difficult birth. And a sister with OCD and Anxiety and
who knows what all. :o

Fortune
08-12-11, 03:25 PM
I am curious where the idea that Aspies can't write for an audience comes from.

fracturedstory
08-12-11, 07:49 PM
That was great. I almost shed a tear.

My mum was actually overprotective of me and I'm glad that she was. I'm on the classic side of autism. The usual stereotype was what my childhood was about, although verbal but didn't say much. While everyone urged my mum to push me a bit more she knew that I would crash and burn, even when I pushed for more independence as a teenager.

Fortune
08-12-11, 08:20 PM
My parents did push me to do well, and all it did was cause crashing and burning.

Plus all the getting offended when someone suggested I was autistic to them.

I am glad your mother was able to work with you. I do wonder how things would have gone if my parents had ever bothered to work with me instead of treating me like I was oppositional and lazy.

tambourine-man
08-12-11, 11:22 PM
Here is another article I wrote for a magazine...

http://www.nakedcitywichita.com/2011/08/12/where-have-i-been-all-my-life/

Oh, and btw, my parents had plenty of issues with me. They were far from perfect but still great.

fracturedstory
08-14-11, 07:35 PM
It took me awhile to get around to reading it (massively ADHD-PH yesterday) but I did and thought it was another excellently written article.

I love how you found out you could have AS. If it wasn't for very bad first boyfriend (not that he was mean but that I was just extremely awkward) it eventually led me to my diagnosis.