View Full Version : University of Turbochica Excercise #1

Turbochica
08-03-11, 11:19 AM
I found some good writing exercises on a website tat I thought might be worth posting here:

Back to Basics

Every poet can benefit from writing exercises because they give you the opportunity to brainstorm and practice new forms. For beginners, poetry exercises are a good way to learn how to write poetry. For poets who have been writing for awhile, these exercises can help refresh your style. Writing exercises can also be fun, like allowing your imagination an afternoon at the playground. You never know—a spectacular poem may be born out of a simple writing exercise.
Pull out your notebook, journal, laptop, or whatever you use to write. Some of these exercises can be completed at home, but others force you to head out to a public place (unless you have a fabulous view of a busy street or the doings of your neighbors).

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/221003_f496.jpg

Exercise #1 – Lists

This exercise requires you write a title at the top of your page, and then create a list down to the bottom of the page. You may find the beginnings of a poem, or a wonderful line, in some of your lists. Here are some examples taken from one of my old journals:

Frustrations-

Feeling tired
Not having enough time
Being misunderstood
Not able to speak clearly
Having a disagreement
Being late
Feeling incompetent
Feeling depressed

Firsts-

The first time…I was scared when home alone;
First time I felt comfortable crying in public;
First time we kissed;
First time we kissed and it meant something;
First apartment, the craziness;
First time I said, “I love you;”
First time someone told me “I love you;”
First pair of glasses, with the black frames;
First hangover…oh, yeah…

Make a list of fears, losses, happy memories, accomplishments, dreams—whatever you can think of. Take some of the ideas from these lists, and see if you can expand upon them. Example: “Feeling tired, like an ant trying to get somewhere with a rock in its.” Or, “Incompetent feels like a fish in a bowl, always swimming, but hitting nothing but glass.”
All of these lists are opportunities for a poem.

Firsts-

The first time…I was scared when home alone;
First time I felt comfortable crying in public;
First time we kissed;
First time we kissed and it meant something;
First apartment, the craziness;
First time I said, “I love you;”
First time someone told me “I love you;”
First pair of glasses, with the black frames;
First hangover…oh, yeah…

Make a list of fears, losses, happy memories, accomplishments, dreams—whatever you can think of. Take some of the ideas from these lists, and see if you can expand upon them. Example: “Feeling tired, like an ant trying to get somewhere with a rock in its.” Or, “Incompetent feels like a fish in a bowl, always swimming, but hitting nothing but glass.”
All of these lists are opportunities for a poem.

gleaned from this website (http://stacienaczelnik.hubpages.com/hub/Five-Poetry-Writing-Exercises) (http://stacienaczelnik.hubpages.com/hub/Five-Poetry-Writing-Exercises)

anonymouslyadd
08-03-11, 11:29 AM
I thought this was summer time? I don't want homework.:p;)

Turbochica
08-03-11, 11:31 AM
I thought this was summer time? I don't want homework.:p;)

It's not homework it's fun things to do get the creative word juices flowing so to speak :)

go with the flow . . . . . . ride the wave

feel the current . . . . . let the water splash in your face ....

woooohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

bam! a poem is born!