View Full Version : New on Vyvanse...few questions?

BellaVita
08-03-11, 03:21 PM
Hello everyone. :)
I've recently been diagnosed with ADD and also suffer from anxiety. I have been placed on medications that I hope will eventually help me cope with some of the symptoms..

My psychiatrist has put me on Vyvanse 40 mg to take in the morning. I am also on .5 mg of Clonazapam to take at night for my anxiety/to help me sleep as I'm tapering off of Trazadone. The psychiatrist is having me take 50 mg of trazadone instead of the usual 100-150mg. I also take Magnesium Oxide and B12 every day, 4000 mg of fish oil, along with regular multivitamins.

This post will be a bit confusing as I will be jumping around a bit...thoughts are a bit jumbled at the moment..

For the first 2 days, the Vyvanse worked wonders. I could finally focus on what people were saying without zoning out and constantly trying to refocus, I was able to drive without zoning out and becoming overwhelmed by trying to focus on everything(traffic, lights, correct speed limit, and didn't even get lost..), and I was excited that perhaps on this medication I will be able to get my liscense and not have to be driven around by my parents/friends. I even sat through a whole TV show for the first time without getting bored/distracted. The side effects I experienced during the day were lack of appetite, upset stomach, and excessive talking/hyperness. Nothing I couldn't handle. However, I experienced a crash in the evening after about 7 hours of taking it...I felt irritable, anxious, had a pounding heart and uninterested in any activity I'd normally enjoy doing in the evening. I took the .5 Clonazapam along with my 50 mg trazadone, lied awake restless and still anxious for hours and only managed 4 hours of sleep at the most, and I also awoke with a racing heart.

The second night I experienced all of the same symptoms as I had the previous night, so I took the .5 Clonazapam but decided to wait to take the 50 mg Trazadone until I felt more tired. (I didn't want to take it and have it run out before I fell asleep. After hours of these distressing feelings, out of desparation, I decided to take another .5 mg of the Clonazapam and finally took my 50 mg Trazadone. Within 30-40 minutes I felt relaxed enough to fall asleep. I managed to sleep for about 6 hours.

The next morning, third day of taking Vyvanse, I hardly felt different. I felt back to "normal" again. Easily distractable, unable to focus and complete everyday tasks, zoned out when people talked...I felt very dissapointed. :/ Because I felt normal again, I didn't expect there to be a crash..But come about 6 hours later, I again felt anxious, irritable, annoyed with loud noises or too many people talking at once(this is something I have previously experienced, but it didn't happen often) I tried calling my psychiatrist a few times that day to see if he had any advice, but every time I called the line was busy...I decided to take 2 Magnesium Oxide pills hoping it would relax me or something(800 mg instead of the 400 I normally would take). I still wasn't interested in doing my usual bed time activites (which are-drinking tea,hanging with family, calling my boyfriend,creating graphic art..etc...), however I somehow managed to go into "hyperfocus"(recently learned of this term..explains alot.) and researched on the computer for a few hours. After that I realized the other symptoms had left me, and I felt like very lethargic and zombie-like. I then took the .5 mg of Clonazapam and 50 mg Trazadone, and thank goodness I slept for a good 8 1/2 hours!

Now I'm on Day 4. Woke up in the morning, felt refreshed and actually happy, drank plenty of water and ate a decent sized breakfast. It's been 2 1/2 hours since I took the Vyvanse. So far I'm not sure if I feel any different with my concentration levels...I was able to write this only because it does interest me, and this all has to do with what I am interested in researching already(psychological disorders, human brain, all of that good stuff..) But I am procrastinating at the moment because I have alot of things I have to get done today and I feel absolutely no motivation. I also feel since I don't have another psychiatrist appointment for another 3 days, I might aswell come along here and try to find some answers/get support.

Okay, question time!

-Am I having a normal reaction to the Vyvanse? Could the crash/horrible feelings/insomnia be due to Trazadone withdrawl? A couple months ago my crazy mother(she has many issues herself, every close relative of hers has some sort of mental illness, she herself scored off the charts on online adult ADD tests but I'm sure she has some other illness to go along with it...I also suspect from her history and some tell-tale signs that she's using drugs...) stole my Trazadone away from me and MADE me cut my dosage by 75%...she gave me that certain amount every day for about 2 weeks until my dad wouldn't take it and somehow convinced her to give me my medicine back...I couldn't sleep, and my mind pretty much went crazy. I felt like an insane different person.

-Does the lack of appetite and upset stomach feeling last forever? Or will my body get used to the medication over time?

-Do I perhaps need to have my Vyvanse dosage increased so that I can focus and have the great benefits of it again? I'm going to need a medication that gives me full day coverage, is this possible?

-I would also like to know what dosages/medication combinations have worked for everyone here, and if with time the symptoms you previously experienced with your ADD/ADHD, along with the negative side effects of the medications, become easier to manage with time...

I go back to boarding school next Wednesday, and I won't be able to come back to my home until *maybe* October..for sure December..Hopefully my psychiatrist knows what he's doing...

Whew! I know that was a hefty amount of info, but I'm greatly thankful and appreciative to anyone who is willing to read through it(or atleast some of it) and hopefully help me out a bit.

Medicatedme
08-03-11, 10:14 PM
Hi,
I can't offer much because I have only been on Vyvanse a week. The first day was great and the third was very good. The rest have sucked. No motivation and even worse is the empty helpless feeling it has created in me. It seems this is pretty rare to feel this way unless it is at the end of the day and you are crashing. But it starts about 2 hrs after taking it and lasts all day.

I was adderall xr before this and in retrospect it was awesome, it did not last all day and some days it was more effective than others but it NEVER caused feelings like I have on Vyvanse.

On the plus side for Vyvanse the 2 days it worked its on set was very smooth and I did not experience a crash or ups and downs. Oh and it lasted 10 or 11 hrs. That is all I can say

Good luck to you! You will find something that works.

AddaptAbilities
08-04-11, 06:32 PM
It's certainly challenging to tease out the effects of one medication in a cocktail. I've never been on trazadone, but if it's helped you sleep in the past, tapering off it could certainly account for the sleep problems.

I've been on Vyvanse for over two years. The only time it hasn't worked for me was while I was on Lexapro (an SSRI that turned me into a vegetable) and for the two months following cessation of that drug. I seem to be one of the few people on this forum who've experienced "all day coverage" on this drug.

Can your psychiatrist continue to coordinate your care while you're at school? My pdoc frequently works with me over the phone when an hour-long appt isn't necessary. It would suck to be having to deal with this once school starts.

quark
08-05-11, 01:15 AM
I am still having 11 hours from when I take the dose until the crash. 50 mg/day which works well and I take weekends off. Mental impulse control and focus isn't quite what it was with Ritalin, but sometimes my speech feels a bit slowed in the morning and I don't think I want to go any higher at this time. I'm working on some non-med means of improving focus, like not having a cluttered desk, turning off email, etc. Motivation is great - all day I feel like I should be doing something. Weird feeling, that.

miamia078
08-05-11, 11:53 AM
I started Vyvanse today 20mg and I meant to take it once a day. I took this at 7am. Within an hour I could definately feel this working. However I began to feel very wired physically and I had the urge to just do something as if I couldnt relax. Once I began concentrating on work or writing emails I did find I became fixated on it, however I am still jumping around from task to task and I dont feel as if I can sit and think things through clearly, rather its like I am doing things on automatic pilot. I am not sure if this means it is working i.e the fact I dont have that much racing through my head and maybe I am just not used to 'not thinking too much. The thing is my metabolism is extremely fast - when i go to the dentist the anaesthetic they give me which apparently should last 5/6 hours or something ends up wearing of after 45 mins so they end up having to give me more! I also feel affects of other medications quite quickly. It is now nearly 11am and I am already feeling as if things are wearing off I feel less wired and calmer.

My question is does this sounds like a first response to this drug and can it really be wearing of so quickly and is the calm feeling I am getting the way it is meant to work, or is the dose too low? My Psychiatrist said we would start at a low dose and go from there. But how do you know what the right dose should feel like? How do you know if its too little or too much and how long do you wait to change the dosage?

BellaVita
08-05-11, 11:15 PM
Thanks everyone for your responses!
So, I tried going off of Vyvanse for a day.(yesterday) It was terrrrible. Groggy all day, irritable, anxious, unmotivated, out of it, depressed, had some crying spells...haha yeah so I *think* it may indeed be the Trazadone withdrawal messing with the Vyvanse, as I haven't felt that bad since the last time I attempted to get off of the Trazadone. So, I did decide to take the Vyvanse today(even though I woke up still feeling depressed/unmotivated) and within an hour I already felt more energized and much more motivated...I felt pretty much normal...I really couldn't tell if I was more focused or not, but the motivation "kick" helped me get done what I needed to today...I also did some research, and because of the Trazadone withdrawal my serotonin levels perhaps needed to be replenished, so I bought some 5 htp. I took that along with some L-theanine.
I did feel somewhat anxious throughout the day, I didn't actually crash like all of the other previous days. (or atleast it wasn't very noticable) I also did some exercise towards the end of the day to get those endorphins running...
Well tomorrow is my appointment with the psychiatrist, I'll see what he has to say about everything! :) (trying to keep positive in all of this lol)

quark
08-06-11, 02:44 AM
My question is does this sounds like a first response to this drug and can it really be wearing of so quickly and is the calm feeling I am getting the way it is meant to work, or is the dose too low? My Psychiatrist said we would start at a low dose and go from there. But how do you know what the right dose should feel like? How do you know if its too little or too much and how long do you wait to change the dosage?

In the AM I get sort of a buzz, not euphoria, just the sensation of being somehow somewhat medicated with a somewhat elevated heartrate. That peaks about 3.5-4 hours after I take the dose, then that feeling fades away, and the last few hours I don't really feel noticeable like I'm on anything. I can still focus pretty well and am still motivated to do stuff. But, then the crash hits at hour 11, I get headache-y and tired for about 40 min. And post-crash my distractibility etc. the ADD crap is back.

I spent over a week @ 30, then went to 50 since I didn't have quite the impulse control I had w/ Ritalin. @ 50 it's darn close, I think I will stay here for a while. So far the only thing I don't like about Vyvanse is the 11 hour commitment to it! It might be nice to have Dex tablets on hand for occasions when I only want my medicated self for a few hours. We'll see, I don't think I'll bring that up for a few months.

trishcan
08-06-11, 03:11 AM

20mg is the lowest dose, so it's possible that the dose isn't optimal. A few more days, possibly a week, and you should have a better idea of how it works for you. Vyvanse is sort of subtle for most people, in that you typically "feel" it kick in at a certain point and eventually realize that you no longer have that feeling, but you're still functioning better than you may be off-meds. If you're not functioning at all by 11am, that's obviously a problem.

Sometimes people mistake the "peak" of a drug for the "crash," because a high concentration of stimulant medication can produce effects that are remarkably similar to virtually no medication whatsoever. That may be the case with the "calm" feeling you describe.

As for how you know what the best dose is for you, it's generally the lowest dose that helps your symptoms and the highest dose you can take before experiencing side effects you can't (or don't want to) tolerate.

AddaptAbilities
08-08-11, 03:51 PM
What Trishcan said.

For some reason, when I started Vyvanse, my pdoc had me on 30 mgs in the morning, and then a dexedrine tablet at noon to take care of the "crash". I had taken dexedrine before, so we knew that I tolerated it ... maybe he was making sure I tolerated the Vyvanse? Anyway, it's something your pdoc might be willing to try.

GoBlue81
08-08-11, 09:29 PM
I have news for you. The dose is too high. 40 mgs is quite a lot. I take about 10 mgs per day. I realize that everybody is different but it is clear that your dose is too high. I felt the exact same way when I took 20 mgs. Went down to 10 and all the side effects went away. Vyvanse can be very fickle in terms of finding the right dose. I know of a patient whose optimal dose is exactly 12.5 mgs. I also know ultra-low dose responders whose optimal dose is 2 mgs. It's also very easy to find your ideal dose.

Alex9
08-08-11, 10:12 PM
I have news for you. The dose is too high. 40 mgs is quite a lot. I take about 10 mgs per day. I realize that everybody is different but it is clear that your dose is too high. I felt the exact same way when I took 20 mgs. Went down to 10 and all the side effects went away. Vyvanse can be very fickle in terms of finding the right dose. I know of a patient whose optimal dose is exactly 12.5 mgs. I also know ultra-low dose responders whose optimal dose is 2 mgs. It's also very easy to find your ideal dose. Vyvanse is completely soluble in water so making a 40 mg pill into 5 mg, 10 mg, 15 mg, etc. doses is extremely easy.

What? 10mg per day? The lowest dose vyvanse comes in is 20mg. And there is no way you know anyone who takes 2mg. That would only have about 0.59 mg of amphetamine base in it. No way anyone responds to a dose that low. And it would be pretty hard to split it into that low of doses

40mg is not high at all for vyvanse. I took 50mg, which seems to be more or less average from my understanding. The highest dose is 70mg.

And splitting doses with vyvanse is pointless and inefficient. If you have to split doses and spread them out during the day you're better off just taking adderall ir or dexedrine.

GoBlue81
08-08-11, 11:24 PM
What? 10mg per day? The lowest dose vyvanse comes in is 20mg. And there is no way you know anyone who takes 2mg. That would only have about 0.59 mg of amphetamine base in it. No way anyone responds to a dose that low. And it would be pretty hard to split it into that low of doses

40mg is not high at all for vyvanse. I took 50mg, which seems to be more or less average from my understanding. The highest dose is 70mg.

And splitting doses with vyvanse is pointless and inefficient. If you have to split doses and spread them out during the day you're better off just taking adderall ir or dexedrine.Like I explained before, Vyvanse is completely soluble in water. Take a 20 mg capsule and dissolve in water. Drink half. Boom-10 mg. It's called fine tuning the dose. It's extremely easy unless you're math illiterate. And again, in order to take 2 mg, take a 20 mg capsule, dissolve in 10 oz of water, drink one oz (approximately a shot). Very simple.

And I'm not saying 40 mg is a high dose. I'm saying 40 mg is a high dose for you. Everybody is different. And that's what makes prescribing these medications so difficult. Not everybody has an ideal dose at exactly at 20mg, 30mg, etc. I'm just saying that just because an "average" dose is 40 mg does not in anyway make it the right dose for you. Listen to what your body tells you. If you're having side effects, it's not the right dose. Plain and simple.

trishcan
08-09-11, 12:18 AM
I have news for you. The dose is too high. 40 mgs is quite a lot. I take about 10 mgs per day. I realize that everybody is different but it is clear that your dose is too high. I felt the exact same way when I took 20 mgs. Went down to 10 and all the side effects went away. Vyvanse can be very fickle in terms of finding the right dose. I know of a patient whose optimal dose is exactly 12.5 mgs. I also know ultra-low dose responders whose optimal dose is 2 mgs.

2mg Vyvanse? Really. Would be nice for one 60mg pill to last an entire month...

But it's not "clear" that the dose is too high. If it was clear, there would be no question. And surely, no one would have suggested the dose was too low. But the question was asked, and the possibilities explored. 40mg is a low-midrange dose.