View Full Version : What do you want in software for your ADD?

Tchiak
08-03-11, 08:29 PM
I've seen all manner of apps, programs, calendars, medication reminder programs, medicine supply notifiers and just other various bits of software out there. If you're still here let me explain. I am a Computer Science major at a University in my Senior year and I also have ADHD (diagnosed in 7th grade).

What I want to know is.. what do YOU want in software to help you with your ADD? What features are you looking for and how would you want software to work for you?

I ask this question because as part of a senior project I want to write software that links together all the devices we use in daily life in a way that will provide a service to the ADD community, not in the way I think you should use it but in the way that the ADD community will want to use it.

So please let me know, either in forums responses here or in private messages and I will incorporate as many as I can and try to produce software that will be useful to all in the ADD community.

Thank You

P.S. and if I get enough responses I will start a blog on here to keep people up to date with the development process and creation of this program. :D

Hathor
08-03-11, 09:05 PM
I want to write software that links together all the devices we use in daily life in a way that will provide a service to the ADD community, not in the way I think you should use it but in the way that the ADD community will want to use it.

Sorry I am having trouble following this. What kind of devices are you trying to link together with software?

Tchiak
08-03-11, 10:28 PM
My central thesis is to provide a central point to which all devices can connect to coordinate various alerts, scheduling, tasks, and whatever else the community feels is appropriate. Making your information available to you through as many outlets as possible in a coordinated and easy to use fashion.

ginniebean
08-04-11, 12:13 AM
It's funny because I was thinking "there needs to be some sort of organizational program for people with adhd" I mean a life line kinda deal with everything on it in one place.

I don't even know anything about programs and stuff, but it would be nice if there was a priority program. Where when something is inputed to be done that along with that a "when's the last possible reasonable moment I can start this before it's too late" and then have reminders building up to that point.

It would be some sort of 'to do' list/calender thing but with red flags where they're needed.

(unless this wheel already got invented somewhere) :)

Also, suggestions menu for things we might put in there.. like things that we all do, generally the stuff that's easiest to remember is the stuff you do often, the once a year stuff, now that's more troublesome.

Things like oil change (yep completely wrecked an engine forgetting this) time to do taxes, birthdays and various holidays with a sorta count down reminder y'know?

anyway.. that's what I can think of I am pretty sure others can think of more.

String
08-04-11, 12:53 AM
I'm writing software for ADHD right now. It's something I dreamed up long before I knew that I had ADHD.

It's just a reminder program to help with goal setting, not an organizer at all. I call it a point of performance coaching tool. It's going to provide some cool notifications. They'll capture your attention more than reminder apps usually do because they can be required to receive some input. There will be cool charts based on the input. For example, you can randomly have it ask you a question throughout the day. Then it will chart out how many times you answered, "Yes" or "No." The software also has ways to provide some accountability.

There's ways to set up the coaches to prompt you kind of randomly or at certain times of the day.

The cool thing is that I'm writing it with the Qt framework and an sqlite db and it will most likely be open source and run on Windows, Mac, and Linux. I've already made quite a bit of progress.

It's a pretty simple concept, but I haven't seen anything like it. I probably didn't describe it very well, but if I did I wouldn't mind seeing other apps that were similar. I'm mostly writing it because I think it will help me and others like me.

Hathor
08-04-11, 04:19 PM
My central thesis is to provide a central point to which all devices can connect to coordinate various alerts, scheduling, tasks, and whatever else the community feels is appropriate. Making your information available to you through as many outlets as possible in a coordinated and easy to use fashion.

Guess you mean cell phones and the like?

The most ADHD friendly software I have found is Sticky Notes (Included with Windows 7)

They stick right on your desktop they are hard to miss, but I wouldn't mind more options with colours and stuff, and maybe along the lines of what ginniebean said there could be alarms and stuff

Tchiak
08-04-11, 06:57 PM
I posted my first post of a blog which will follow the development progress. So feel free to visit and keep giving me these great ideas.

Simenora
08-04-11, 10:23 PM
hey, I'll test betas you guys.

grape_ninja
08-07-11, 09:18 PM
the reminder part of a to-do list that is flexible. With having multiple custom reminder alarms. another problem i have is keeping a journal. Lets see here adhd + remembering something on a regular time frame, not going to happen for me. I would like to see the program able to call you and ask/remind you to make an entry or you could even have it ask you to leave a message. For me ability of the program to be able to sync between my computer and my iphone is a must

RussianRockit
01-04-12, 07:42 PM
Seeing that I have been searching through droid apps all afternoon, and after creating my to-do list, I have stumbled here. String's ideas sound very intriguing and a lay a good foundation. I have some ideas/requests for features for either of the developers.

1. Location based Reminders - so if I randomly stop at the grocery store on my way home from a friends house, then it automatically reminds me and provides me with my list of wants and needs at the grocery store that i already compiled in my to-do list. Also, if I am leaving my house for an event and need to bring AB and C, the app reminds me before I leave and then once I leave the house, "did you bring AB and C?" Finally, the notifications are proximity based to locations.
2. Make it possible to place to-dos on a map at specific addresses or locations.
3. Auto-call or text or remind me once I leave a location.
4. Complex alarm snoozes, like make me solve a math problem or put a puzzle together to turn it off.
5. Syncs with as many other apps as possible like google, facebook, etc.

Pretty much, I want an external brain that tells me to do things convienantly and efficiently. Something like a parent/wife/gf/significant other lol.

If I think of any more ideas I will post them. thanks and good luck.

Haakenlid
01-05-12, 10:08 AM
I use google calendar synched with my android phone to (try to) organize my day.
Any app that I would consider using have to be compatible with google calendar. I spent a long time getting stuff organized in that calendar, and I'm not going to start from scratch with something else.

Urgezz
01-05-12, 05:18 PM
1. Location based Reminders - so if I randomly stop at the grocery store on my way home from a friends house, then it automatically reminds me and provides me with my list of wants and needs at the grocery store that i already compiled in my to-do list. Also, if I am leaving my house for an event and need to bring AB and C, the app reminds me before I leave and then once I leave the house, "did you bring AB and C?" Finally, the notifications are proximity based to locations.
2. Make it possible to place to-dos on a map at specific addresses or locations.

on android smart phone check out the app Astrid and its Locale plugin ^ ^

4. Complex alarm snoozes, like make me solve a math problem or put a puzzle together to turn it off.*

GentleAlarm or G-Alarm, there are a ton of smart alarms for smartphones! just be careful to not set the difficulty too high or you might end up having to do a battery pull lol

Pretty much, I want an external brain that tells me to do things convienantly and efficiently. Something like a parent/wife/gf/significant other lol.

smartphone are TRULY smart these days, all of those things can be achieved through a couple of different apps! my droid is THE BEST INVESTMENT EVER.

OP here are some apps i use very frequently which could be useful for researching functionality:

[Astrid task manager /w Task XP add-on]
-IMO astrid is the best task manager on the market. it has plenty of sorting and organizing features, can be accessed on computer or phone/tablet, tasks stay syncd across devices, has some very cool plugins for location based reminders, etc.
-the task xp add-on is something i have been obsessed with being a gamer and all, heh. essentially it syncs with astrid to turn your task completion into an achievements based RPG style experience. tasks are assigned experience pts based on priority, due date, etc. and you can choose from a whole series of passive / active skills that power up your xp gaining... for me, it gives me more incentive to actually PUT things in the app (afterall they're no good if you dont care to use them lol)

[Evernote]
-Great note taking app that stays syncd across your devices

anything cloud based is great as it takes care of the transferring of your information for you.

http://forum.mobilism.org/viewforum.php?f=436
Scheduling / Calendar apps, there are a lot of cool things here

grynch
04-02-12, 07:08 PM
i think the thing that i'm looking for is a holistic architecture in a planner/coach/reminder etc. . there are things one has to do ,routinely,on a daily basis, a weekly basis, a monthly basis , a seasonal basis, a yearly basis. also there are things that arise unexpectedly,yet have to be integrated into one's schedule. also i would like to be able to attach goals, tasks, and to do lists to specific dates. this is just a start, but this is what i'm looking for.

Tylerlee17
04-16-12, 05:49 PM
A device that never has an error issue is compatible with all file sources and is free.... No seriously iPhone and iPad are FTW.

Flory
04-16-12, 07:08 PM
im supposed to be getting ginger software or something along those lines as well as some programmes like dragon -speak for my dictaphone and mind mapping type shiz >.< hurry up application for disabled students allowance ^_^

Electra2
11-15-12, 12:09 AM
4. Complex alarm snoozes, like make me solve a math problem or put a puzzle together to turn it off.

If I think of any more ideas I will post them. thanks and good luck.
I turn off my alarm while I am in a awakening/lucid state of dreaming.
I sometimes do it several times to sleep just a little longer.
It would also be great with the "did you bring this or that"- alarm once you leave a place.
I usually remember what I forgot when I got down to the buss stop.
Maybe an electronic locator in case something goes missing and you need to trace it.
A possibility to contact people ASAP before its too late.

Many times I wish there was a videogame that non-ADHD'ers could play to better understand the condition,so they get a experience as close to the real thing as possible!!
One thing is to read about loosing a wallet in theory and its another thing experience all the consequences that comes a long with that... to have go all the way back to your house to get it IRL.(and also experience that you loose your buss,and for that reason loose your dentist appointment,and for that reason have to pay extra money for beeing late,you can see peoples expression in their face,their irritated bodylanguage,hear the harsh words etc.
It would be easier to explain why come too late,that its not just about getting a dayplanner and an alarm because one might have that but still it would be great if people could see it visually all the distractions that can happen just in a matter of 5 minuts.
Or show people how difficulted it is to stay focused at one task when there are numerous sorces of distraction that pulls your attention away even though your intention was to pay attention to what happens at the moment.
I think this could be 100 times better explained visually then it could by reading a simple book.
I specially think of those who have severe ADHD and who might have other conditionas as well and are unable to express themselfes and therefore are totally dependent on the therapists/therapeut/doctor/coatch'es knowledge of ADHD etc.

GMADHD2
12-10-12, 04:37 PM
I have been thinking about this myself. I didn't read all of the responses, but one of them had the same thought I did, which is to incorporate everything into one master program.

What would this look like? Well, you would need to take all of your monthly expenses, bank account(s), calendar reminders and to-do lists and automate them.

The User would wake up, run the program and see what they needed to do that day as well as be prompted to do those things that could be done online (such as send an e-mail, pay a bill, buy flowers for mom's birthday.)

dvdnvwls
12-17-12, 09:39 PM
Before you get far, take a look at emacs/org-mode/mobileorg. Massive capability. Maybe you should be participating in mobileorg development - it certainly could use more attention. QT it ain't - but reinventing the wheel needs a better reason than that IMO.