View Full Version : Is It Possible For 2 People To Be "Too Similar To Get Along"?

ItsJustJohn
08-05-11, 07:38 PM
Hello, I'm new to this forum. I've been having this problem with someone that I've kinda kept to myself for a while cause I've never really seen anyone else have it. But yeah, as the topic asks, is it possible to not like someone else because they are a little TOO similar to your well-being? This problem naturally comes down to a competitive relationship, and I like to be as minimally competitive with people as I can (not really a competitive person). But I don't know...I mean, there will always be people out there that like and do the things you do, but for a specific acquaintance to be so similar that it metaphorically phases out your own existence, it's just a ****ty feeling in general.

Before I bother to get in detail with this, I was just wondering if anyone else on this forum has ever felt the same way.

chartreuse
08-06-11, 07:03 PM
Many years ago I went on a date with a guy who had answered a personal ad I'd placed. It turned out that he was exactly 1 day younger than me (born in the same year and month but just the day after).

He and I were EXACTLY alike in terms of personality and temperament. And when I got home, all I could think was that I hadn't realized how exhausting I could be to be around. You couldn't have paid me to spend another hour in his presence.

Smokey405
08-06-11, 07:11 PM
I hadn't realized how exhausting I could be to be around.

rofl!

I've had that same realization a few times. And usually after being around someone very much like myself. I can handle some similarities, but there's a certain point at which I just wanna slap them/myself.

salleh
08-06-11, 07:32 PM
Nope .....haven't ever met anyone who more than about 40 % like me ....if that .....

Vivacious907
08-07-11, 01:03 AM
I used to have this happen to me all the time as I would constantly fall for men who were a male mirror image of myself. This never worked because of the competition and then it was also hard to feel romantic about someone who was such a great friend. After years of disappointments I fell in love with a guy who is waaaay different than me in term of personality, demeanor, temperament, etc. and we get along great because we compliment each other by having a strength where the other has a weakness. Also, our female/male qualities "shine" more for each other without that element of friendly competition.

So, I know it's easy to fall in love with your reflection in another person, but I definitely advise people to do the opposite now that I've had this experience. :)