View Full Version : How Can Therapy Change Me

Draga
09-10-04, 10:59 PM
I read the Checklist on Waywardclam's Post on the ADHD checklist and I do not want to take anything away from his post which I found awesome info and I thank him for it. Especially since My question is entirely different but has to do with the list:

..I have all 20 and some I am actually proud of to have such as #'s 5,6,9,10,12,20 <~~~ These are things I dont want to change:D

1) A sense of underachievement, of not meeting one's goals (regardless of how much one has actually accomplished

2)Difficulty getting organized.

3) Chronic procrastination or trouble getting started

4) Many projects going simultaneously; trouble with follow-through.

7) A tendency to be easily bored

8) Easy distractibility, trouble focusing attention, tendency to tune out or drift away in the middle of a page or a conversation, often coupled with an ability to hyperfocus at times.

11) Impatient; low tolerance for frustration.

13) Tendency to worry needlessly, endlessly; tendency to scan the horizon looking for something to worry about alternative with inattention to or disregard for actual dangers.

14) Sense of impending doom, insecurity, alternating with high risk-taking.

15) Mood swings, depression, especially when disengaged from a person or a project.

16) Restlessness

17) Tendency toward addictive behavior.

18) Chronic problems with self-esteem.

19) Inaccurate self-observation.

All these things I Would at least try to work on....But I need advice.

No Matter the dose of medication or amount of therapy I am on I know somethings about me I will never be able to change and some I will...But I am not sure which ones. What can I change and what do I have to accept that I can't change..I used to belive that I could change anything but...Heh I was swimming in the sea of Denile. Since I am going to be able to get better medical treatment and medication now that I am on disability...I do want to get better than I am at this point but I do NOT want to go more in Depth with therapy and medication without knowing what I can or can not change...If something is pretty much stuck with me I would be beating a dead horse sort to speak trying to change it. Ya know what I mean?

mctavish23
09-11-04, 01:12 AM
Melly,
I love you but you think too much:).Take it one day at a time and be kind to yourself first and foremost.

Draga
09-11-04, 01:23 AM
Mctavish!! I never knew *blushes* Thinking too much is something I kinda need to do at the moment....I go back to SSI Review board in a year and I have to spend this time on therapy..but would you send someone you love into a battle zone without knowing what or who to face:p Smoochies Sweetie!

Draga
09-11-04, 01:28 AM
But Yeah...I know what ya saying shugga...I wuv ya too:) Right now I feel like I am on a mission...a mission to make myself better...not so I can handle being in their world, but so I change the things in my own...Nes Pa?

exeter
09-11-04, 02:30 AM
The smart-aleck-but-true answer is that therapy can't change you. Only you can change you. The right therapist can be a great ally in helping you change these things.

I'm sure 1, 2, 11, 13, 18, and 19 are issues that therapy could help with.

I'm going to talk to my therapist and psychiatrist about 7 and 15, so I'll keep ya posted. :-)

Draga
09-11-04, 02:37 AM
:D Thanks Exeter...I appreciate it...I know their is one thing that going to make pointing out the ones I can work on when I also have Bipolar and PTSD Episodes to set off both ADHD & Bipolar...*sigh*

I dont think it is a smart Aleck responce at all:) It's an honest one and very truthful..I am only one who could change me...I just need to be pointed in right direction;)

mctavish23
09-11-04, 08:09 AM
Battles Zones are different! The unfair thing about this is that it complicates the process. It sounds like you're going to get "graded on growth." In terms of PTSD, I know of no better, quicker, more effective therapy than EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing). It really works.

I believe that you will turn this around into something that is more meaningful for you personally than "passing a test." I am confident that you will do what you need to do to comply with the request and get something positive for yourself in terms of personal growth.

There are actually books on how to measure psychotherapy progress. Since the process of therapy is really more an "art" than a science, I can tell you that for years research has shown that the common sense notion of the rapport between therapist and client to be the most significant determining factor on the overall " success " of therapy.It s hard for science to measure abstracts but I think most people would agree that the right therapist, as Exeter so aptly put it, is what makes the difference in the end. Now you know that research confirms the obvious.:)

Draga
09-11-04, 08:45 AM
Battles Zones are different! The unfair thing about this is that it complicates the process. It sounds like you're going to get "graded on growth." In terms of PTSD, I know of no better, quicker, more effective therapy than EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing). It really works.

What's that like? I know there is all sorts of ways to get through PTSD and Lately I say a chant to myself and outloud until the flashback passes...but would love to hear of other ways since I dont think I should mix dex and Lamictal with another medication that could mess me up more.

I believe that you will turn this around into something that is more meaningful for you personally than "passing a test." I am confident that you will do what you need to do to comply with the request and get something positive for yourself in terms of personal growth.

Ya know it's funny, people keep saying I need to get out more and meet people but ever since I have been away from Normies who critcize me and make me feel crazy; not to mention my self esteem is not being damnage by an abusive boyfriend; and NOT working for someone in a crappy job where I work my butt off and slowly sucking the creativity out of me....With the Work I do in the forums and when I see how passionate and powerful my poetry has become....I like myself a Heck of a lot better NOT Being out there.

There are actually books on how to measure psychotherapy progress. Since the process of therapy is really more an "art" than a science, I can tell you that for years research has shown that the common sense notion of the rapport between therapist and client to be the most significant determining factor on the overall " success " of therapy.It s hard for science to measure abstracts but I think most people would agree that the right therapist, as Exeter so aptly put it, is what makes the difference in the end. Now you know that research confirms the obvious.:)

There are so many different types of therapy out there like one on one...group therapy...and the types of therapy that is more advanced but...ack if I did want to look into pshycotherapy or something else..I am guessing I would have to look elsewhere than a regular doctor...right?

Hugs, MCT thank you for your confidence in me:)

Draga
09-11-04, 08:48 AM
Reason I asked is $$$$$ and coverage and not 2 mention...getting from A-Z without getting stuck at B...If ya know what I mean.

mctavish23
09-12-04, 12:16 AM
Ok. If you have to be able to justify some type of "progress " for SSI then here are some ideas.These are strictly hypothetical and are as "generic" as they come. I'm not talking about whatever your particular problems are because I cant do that:). I'm also not trying to tell you what to do either.This pertains to individual psychotherapy with adults and assumes the therapist is probably going to use a Cognitive -Behavioral approach.

Most therapists have to be able to demonstrate measurable progess in a client's individual psychotherapy treatment to insurance companies/HMO 's/third party payers, etc. That is usually measured via the Individual Treatment Plan, which you and the therapist develop together based on the presenting complaint.Some commonly used
generic/hypothetical examples might be for a person suffering with depression to be able to subjectively rate their level or degree of depression at a certain number on a 10 Scale, where one is usually not depressed and ten is usually severely depressed. So you'd start with how you were feeling most of the time nearly everyday, when you first came into therapy and look to lower the number to a certain level within a specified time frame.

Another variation on the same theme might be to improve a depressed persons sleep by finding out how depression has negatively impacted sleep patterns during an average week and then look to improve on it. A possible way to phrase something like that might be to set a goal of being able to report an average of 6-8 hrs of restful sleep a night at least 3 nights a week to begin with. I think you get the picture.

The "progress " made would then( ostensibly) be the result of whatever treatments were used. Besides the actual therapy itself, that could range from medication management with a psychiatrist, relaxation training techniques taught during sessions and then assigned as "homework" to be practiced at home, to referrals for a consultation with a registered dietician followed by a diet and excercise regimen, etc. The resulting weight loss and/or lowered BP could be a sign of progress for some people.

The other possible track could be to use various standardized tests as pre and post treament outcome measures. That way you could compare your "score " when you first came into therapy (the baseline ) with how you did by the end of therapy.Combining the 2 approaches mentioned here could possibly give a nice balance to a person's "progress" in therapy.

I hope that makes some sense . By no means was that meant to be all inclusive . It does give you somewhat of an inside view of how a therapist working with adults might go about it.Good luck.:)

Draga
09-12-04, 12:24 AM
Ok...So Far..I do have a therapist that deals with my ADHD and Bipolar..I would need to see a seperate Shrink if I wanted to try phyco therapy(Is it the most affective therapy....or there is no better or worse?) but could the therapist work with CoDependance as well? This is kinda actually helping me plan for the next step...Thank You sooo much for advice :)

mctavish23
09-12-04, 12:30 AM
If you are comfortable with your therapist then changing makes no sense. Besides, for licensed psychologists at least, it's unethical to work with a client who is already in active therapy with another therapist, regardless of their degree.The practical thing to do is discuss your situation with your therapist and then work together on how to reach whatever your goals are,as well as to prepare for whatever you must demonstrate.

mctavish23
09-12-04, 12:32 AM
I hope this is helpful as some type of generic "blueprint" on possible approaches to consider.I'm going to crash now and will check the posts tomorrow.

Draga
09-12-04, 12:37 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot about that part....First time I met him he said.."To many cooks spoil the soup." LOL But I thought that only went towards docs prescribe meds not outside therapy cause the first time I started therapy as a teen...I had shrink and social worker I saw at the same time....as long as no meds are involved. Ack...as many years I have been in therapy I am still a bit nieve about how things work.

mctavish23
09-12-04, 08:07 AM
The laws in your state may be different for psychologist's, however, I would be surprised if they were. Please let me know. My hope is to point you in the right direction and give you some ideas on different ways to look at measuring "progress." Once you get used to thinking like that then hopefully it will become more of a habit so that you can better gauge how you're doing.Good luck.:)

paulbf
09-12-04, 12:27 PM
Yeah I think talk therapy does work. The results are often not dramatic but eventually you will notice that some issues will clear up & life is moving forward. I'm not clear, is that right you are not getting talk therapy now, only a med doc?

Draga
09-12-04, 01:45 PM
Well, I do talk to him about what is going on in my life and I am hoping to see him more than every two months so maybe I can talk to him more about the things I am finding out about myself and social issues and Family Issues....I am going to have to write everything down when I go to see him next time just so he knows what I want to work on the most. If no can do...I am glad I have the forums too. :)

paulbf
09-12-04, 01:58 PM
If you can get hooked up with a weekly session I'd go for it.

Draga
09-12-04, 02:09 PM
:) Yer Awesome, Paul ....Do Ya Charge? :p

paulbf
09-12-04, 02:25 PM
Huh, wha'd I do?

: - )

Hmm, I could be a shrink maybe... that's 360 degrees different from any career I ever even thought about considering but I do enjoy playing one online.

I am for hire for $48/hr or less but free online here.

Draga
09-12-04, 02:47 PM
Huh, wha'd I do? You know I am a basket case...and I glad for the offer to help me...You know I need all the help I can get LOL W/O Yer support and everyone elses...I would not have gotten this far:) Hugs and Smoochies 4 it *blink eyes*

Hmm, I could be a shrink maybe... that's 360 degrees different from any career I ever even thought about considering but I do enjoy playing one online. I asked the (ick) Job Rehab Worker about becoming a Social Worker..she said it would take 6yrs of Schooling...at least I could have made a difference in the outside

Her Point? Last time I checked I am still not elligable for retirement. But suggested Social Workers assistant:mad: Heh..imagine that working for someone who makes more money and is high in social status..(I seen the Cost and they just as expensive as psychatrist) What possible difference can I make out there other than to the already well adjusted person who does not need help..Someone said by helping Social Worker I am helping him/her in helping others...HA If they are another Quack like most I am still in same boat

Even still, with that suggestion it was still not an option when the actual results came through..If ppl still think I am over reacting about how they want us to fit in society...Do Ya still need proof? In Bipolar section...It list important ppl like Honest Abe...PRESIDENT OF USA...and So I think anything is possible for us...but Not over looking that Bipolar was not even discovered back then...no norms were out to stop him from becoming either there equal or better...Okay I just needed to vent and moving on:p

I am for hire for $48/hr or less but free online here.

Good cause SSI don't pay much and I still be Po reguardless..Just enough for Meds and Bills..:(

ricardo
01-10-05, 08:40 AM
How many of the different options have you put with 3 or 4? I have 38, ~70% of them with 4, and 1+6+7 with 4. Wonder what it means by itself? As I told in a different topic my shrink didn't want to talk about ADD.

Thanks,

Ric

KnittingJunkie
03-14-05, 06:34 AM
That, exeter, is a principle of person-centered therapy, which is not any sort of CBT or behavior modification style.

One travels through one's problems, discovering things, moving past them with the presence of a therapist, who will give guidance at times, but only when requested, but not clear and firm directions, no decisive concepts of how one should behave in society.

Very firm direction may be the only beneficial style of therapy to harmful and dangerous members of society--however, likely not to those seeking therapy without criminal characteristics/behaviors, those who are not currently being treated or punished for violent criminal acts.

In person-centered therapies of various sorts, the therapist remembers at all times that, while certain things, like harming others, are not acceptable, therapists certainly cannot determine the proper way to behave and live--thus, they cannot and should never attempt to "train" a person to behave in an acceptable manner...the client must decide what they are to do when working through their problems, at their own pace, in person-centered therapies.

Chrys
The smart-aleck-but-true answer is that therapy can't change you. Only you can change you. The right therapist can be a great ally in helping you change these things.

I'm sure 1, 2, 11, 13, 18, and 19 are issues that therapy could help with.

I'm going to talk to my therapist and psychiatrist about 7 and 15, so I'll keep ya posted. :-)

mctavish23
03-14-05, 05:26 PM
Some of the things that a Rational Behavior Therapy approach might help with would be to challenge a clients cognitive distortions and then have them do some homework on their possible negative impact in terms of being antecedants or precursors to over reacting,self-defeating behaviors or fixed belief systems; to name just a few.
Behavior management techniques would prove helpful in terms of teaching people different ways to try and stay better organized or on task, etc. An excellent book for kids with ADHD is The Parents Guide to Attention Deficit Disorder by Stephen McCarney & Angela Marie Bauer ( Hawthorne Press). This is 100% practical in terms of things that parents can do today right now.

KnittingJunkie
03-14-05, 06:27 PM
Post has been cleared for the time being while I pause and reflect before responding to a statement, in order to decide whether said response is something I may regret later.

Decrovid
03-14-05, 07:11 PM
I spent a few years in therapy and it was very helpfull to me. I visited a few different Dr.s before I found one that was "Fit" with me. Theres alot of things that we can and can not change about ourselfs that will be a part of us for the rest of our lives.

I believe that we all know the answers to our questions most of the time. We just have to look deep in to ourselfs and look for them. Therapy is only good if you want to understand and see the answers. You probally already know inside your self what you can and can not change. You have been given many gifts, including your ability to see very clearly sometimes. Your inner spirit if you will.

Co dep. is just like being a alcoholic, you always are. Its a part of you and who you are. Theres no cure only the desire to want to break the cycle and understand why your in that cycle. Therapy will help you see that, if YOU want to see it.

If you trust your Dr. now and have a good relationship with them then go with them. I went to 4 or 5 before I found the right one that I was comfortable with.

With thier eyes I was given sight. With my desire I was driven for answers.

Your poetry is very insightfull, you should write a book.
Hope this helps.

Blessed be

Draga
03-14-05, 10:35 PM
:D I hear that all the time about me poems and am planning on it the more I grow as an author...Thanks Hon :)