View Full Version : Is anyone else worried about the medicaid cuts that are surely coming?

Possum
08-08-11, 11:01 PM
I have a neurological problem as well as ADHD and this combo has forced me to go on disability. The amount I get from SSDI is pretty pathetic and medicaid pays for my treatment and most of my meds.

If medicaid is going to be cut the way they are saying, I will be left with no treatment and no money to buy my adderall. I am very worried about this because I can function with my meds, but without them I am a pathetic mess.

What is going to happen to all the disabled peopled in our country? :(

Rebelyell
08-08-11, 11:07 PM
KInd of scary,I thought about this myself even tho Im alot younger and still hVE A JOB AND MEDICAL insurance.Wheres thes a will theres gotta be a way.Can you talk to your dr about these concerns?maybe she can set it up to where you wont have to worry or will be able to get meds per se from a clinic or health dept.I know Ive been on the clinic/health dept kick on another thread.Im not getting anything from this shameless plug.Only places I can think of that seem to help destitute or down and out people social services etc.

BR549
08-08-11, 11:08 PM
I know it's also a concern for the elderly who also don't have any thing else to fall back on. I take care of my 83 year old mother. She lives with me. If Medicare is cut, I may be forced to pay for most of her care. Not sure how this will play out.

Rebelyell
08-08-11, 11:28 PM
W out getting political definately a bad time for america and the rest of the world because of a few greedy people in power,that money or power or whatever they are after is never enough.I said to co worker money is a disease,the more you get the more you want of it but enough is enough already,alot of people,innocent people are paying for it now dearly.

Possum
08-08-11, 11:39 PM
I know it's also a concern for the elderly who also don't have any thing else to fall back on. I take care of my 83 year old mother. She lives with me. If Medicare is cut, I may be forced to pay for most of her care. Not sure how this will play out.

That could make things really difficult for you. I hope for both your sakes that it won't come to that.

It seems to me that both Congress and the President are being pretty cavalier about what all these proposed cuts will do to low income elderly and disabled.

The current economic climate doesn't help much either. I would love it if they upped my hours at my little motel job, but with 13% unemployment in my area, that's not going to happen.

On the brighter side, I saw a notice at the library today for a jobs program aimed at the 55+ crowd. I'm going to call them tomorrow to see if they can help me find a job for more hours at something I'm able to do.

]W out getting political definately a bad time for america and the rest of the world because of a few greedy people in power,that money or power or whatever they are after is never enough.I said to co worker money is a disease,the more you get the more you want of it but enough is enough already,alot of people,innocent people are paying for it now dearly.

I'm in complete agreement with you, Rebel. It seems to me that they are only interested in the party line, how much money they can rake in for themselves, and how much power they can grab. The needs of the nation and its people are being completely ignored.

Retromancer
08-09-11, 04:55 AM
Ironically I am looking forward to going on it this September. Right know I am in an awkward pause between Medicaid and Medicare.

For Medicare it's most likely going to be a death of a thousand cuts. One likely scenario will be to cut the Medicare reimbursement rates, which will make Medicare patients less desirable forcing patients into private care -- or to simply die.

Medicare is a popular Federal program that works. This makes it imperative to some people to gut it. They can't just eliminate it so they will chip away at it.

Thanks Possum for bringing up an issue that is going to have an impact on more than the often self-absorbed forum membership.

Possum
08-09-11, 11:20 AM
Ironically I am looking forward to going on it this September. Right know I am in an awkward pause between Medicaid and Medicare.

For Medicare it's most likely going to be a death of a thousand cuts. One likely scenario will be to cut the Medicare reimbursement rates, which will make Medicare patients less desirable forcing patients into private care -- or to simply die.

Medicare is a popular Federal program that works. This makes it imperative to some people to gut it. They can't just eliminate it so they will chip away at it.

Thanks Possum for bringing up an issue that is going to have an impact on more than the often self-absorbed forum membership.

Yes, I think it will be the thousand cuts thing for both programs. It's ironic that as people get older and need these programs more, the programs will be cut more. In my town only one doctor accepts medicaid and if the re-embursements get any lower, he'll probably take early retirement.

Many people are not interested in following the political scene, but I know that more people here other than you and me recieve gov't assistance of some kind. People need to wake up and see what's coming at them down the road.

Rebelyell
08-09-11, 11:29 AM
I know where your coming from w out meds its very hard for me to function and control my behaviors and emotions.When I didnt have my meds I was a maniac at work,somebody would say soemthing I didnt like Id explode and walk outta the room,throw my coffee and cereal across the parking lot.Now I can laugh more and relax.

BR549
08-09-11, 11:42 AM
On the brighter side, I saw a notice at the library today for a jobs program aimed at the 55+ crowd. I'm going to call them tomorrow to see if they can help me find a job for more hours at something I'm able to do.

You ALWAYS have the best outlook on things, Possum! I admire you for that and wish I could be more like you in that respect. I hope that they can help you find something. :)

One likely scenario will be to cut the Medicare reimbursement rates, which will make Medicare patients less desirable forcing patients into private care -- or to simply die.

I notice that many of my elderly neighbors have private health care in addition to medicare or they have a supplemental policy to fill in the gaps where medicare doesn't pay. Of course, they can afford to pay for additional insurance. My concern is for the people who can't afford it. Medicaid isn't an option for some because of the income restraints. Some people need what they get in Social Security each month just to live. Forcing them to pay down just to get medicaid benefits won't help in many cases.