View Full Version : Is it possible to have both Asperger's and Schizophrenia?

pizzaeater
08-12-11, 08:57 AM
A physician (not a psychiatrist and not a clinical psychologist) told me it is not possible to have both Asperger's and Schizophrenia, but is possible to have both Schizoaffective disorder and Asperger's. What do you think?

selita
08-12-11, 11:20 AM
It's... possible... but uncommon.... sort of.

Both are very complex disorders with many shared symptoms. It's possible to meet the diagnostic criteria for both... but only actually have one.

Further, no one knows exactly what causes either of them. There might be some overlap in causes. Some of the same brain structures are involved.

Many autistic symptoms look a lot like negative schizophrenia symptoms. Expression and self-analysis can be difficult for people with either disorders. How can an outsider tell them apart? It's very hard.

http://scholar.google.ca/scholar?hl=en&q=aspergers+schizophrenia+comorbidity

I read recently about a phenomenon called ADHD psychosis... basically extreme ADHD that looks to an outsider like psychosis. But it isn't. The person has normal beliefs... understands reality... but isn't filtering. They're expressing crazy ideas that normally would be suppressed. But they understand the ideas are crazy.

It's possible early-onset schizophrenia is frequently misdiagnosed as more common childhood disorders like Aspergers, ADHD, ODD, etc.

pizzaeater
08-12-11, 07:00 PM
Well, they both appear to involve dopamine.

fracturedstory
08-12-11, 07:38 PM
You have to be diagnosed with AS or autism before schizophrenia to have both. I do know people with both diagnoses and boy do they have it. Sorry, they just tell me some very interesting things.