View Full Version : A 9/11 Poem--Beneath The Surface

jimmmaaa
09-12-04, 08:32 PM
Written in 2003

Beneath The Surface

On the surface it was a regular day at work.
But there was so much bubbling beneath
the surface—2 years since the towers fell and there's a huge
lingering sadness, pain and anger.
I felt a sense of angst and sadness within me that wanted to scream
out, but I had a quietness instead—unknowing how to
even attempt to express feelings confused inside.
A slow boil wants to come to the top.

200 children read the names of their loved ones
yesterday at Ground Zero.
Families stolen away, they will never again get to say or hear
“I love you”
Pieces of their lives disintegrated,
like the ash and dust of the buildings.
The dust is still settling,
still blowing through our hearts

Words can’t even come close to capturing
the wellspring of emotion—the wounds deep in a nations’
subconscious, running deep like fault lines, splintering
through this great nation.
At any moment the tectonic plates of pain
could move causing quakes of emotion
to shake out of us,
rattling us to the core.

Why do things like this happen?
“Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion
looking for someone to devour.”
His henchmen killed over 3000 September 11, 2001.
But he did not swallow our collective soul,
the heart of this great people.
Bodies are gone,
but we are still standing.

We’re a people originally founded on the Rock of God.
The foundation of this nation is secure.
When the earth rumbles and shakes again—
as it surely will—
we will stand.

1 Peter 5:8
Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.

Psalm 18:2
The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
September 12, 2003

Draga
09-12-04, 09:21 PM
:) excellent, Jim..I watched the memorial service last year...took 2 hours to read all the names..I am sorry I missed the names this year..but yesturday I mourned and prayed for the lost souls and the familys..Posting Thread and Poem dedicated to all those involved.

Thanks for Posting this..the More the Merrier :) Hugssss Shugga.

paulbf
09-13-04, 01:08 AM
I was stricken to the core initially but not suprised. This is nothing new to the subjects of our own agression & it infuriates me to see patriotism arise from such a nasty thing. I'm sick & tired of the ripples and the crappy way we've handled this all the way through. That's just wrong to come out of this feeling pride. That is NOT what it's all about that is precisely what caused it in the first place. Patriotism my A**. Grrr. When will people wake up and get a clue?

Draga
09-13-04, 06:26 AM
Paul...There was nothing good about that day...and I don't think back and remember that day for pride...I think of the families and those who Needlessly died...There were many lessons to be learned from that day and I am glad ppl still have pride in America...that means..our enemy's failed..Don'tcha think we owe those who died that much?

Andrew
09-13-04, 08:53 AM
Poetry is a remarkable vehicle to not only express one's personal emotions and feelings about a particular subject, but when reading someone ELSE's poem, it can elicit all sorts of responses and emotions from others.

Gentle reminder: While personal expression is a very good thing, and is encouraged in the poetry section, this section is not for DEBATE of religions, politics or other controversial topics. We're all permitted our own viewpoints, however popular or unpopular they may be. If you feel inspired to post yours, please do so within the Forum Guidelines.

I encourage each and every one of you to continue posting your poetry!

Thanks!

paulbf
09-13-04, 10:04 AM
Pride is what wars are made of. Flag waving is a battle cry wrapped in sugar sung by vacuous children and it makes me sick to my stomach. We think about mom & apple pie but a flag is really very clearly a symbol of war. It's so ingrained in human culture but it's wrong, it's barbaric & we don't even realize. The smiling child at the 4th of July parade is unknowingly promoting the brutal slaughter of foreigners IMNSHO. How many have died at our hands in Afghanistan & Iraq since 9-11? 10 or twenty times the 3,000 victims at the WTC by now and there is no end in sight.

I'm sorry for blowing up on the poem, as Big says, that's probably an indication that it was working on an emotional level.

All they deserve is sadness and peaceful vigilance.

jimmmaaa
09-13-04, 10:41 AM
Thanks for you comments Paul and Melanie.
Paul, didn't mean to stir so much up. My poem takes a look at things on a spiritual, gut level, and the loss that can take place. What makes our country great is the fact that you and I can have differing opinions on the same thing, legally. Have a good one!

jaimegerise
09-13-04, 12:01 PM
AWESOME POEM, James!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jimmmaaa
09-13-04, 12:11 PM
Thanks Jaimedoot!

When I was a boy I until about 6th grade I went by Jamie. There were too many kids that teased me about Jamie Sommers (The Bioic Worma) so I change to James when I moved from Massachusettes to Florida.

jaimegerise
09-13-04, 12:33 PM
Actually, da bionicdoot WAS JAIME Sommers :p :D

I used to have a yahoo ID a few years ago that was bionic_woman_1976 because I have a "bionic" arm LOL not really, just a plate and a couple of screws that held my right humerus together so it could heal after a fracture. :p

Draga
09-14-04, 05:50 AM
Hugs Paul, Yer a doll:) We all are still emotional about that day...I hope I did not sound like I was blowing up at ya....Ugh..that problem w/ typing..U can't hear the tone of the words.

Jim...I liked this very much, TY :)

paulbf
09-14-04, 10:46 AM
No I didn't think you blew up at me. I do think they succeeded if they got us waving flags & waging war. That was the intent.

jaimegerise
09-14-04, 10:48 AM
We should wave our flaggydoots every day :D

paulbf
09-14-04, 11:39 AM
sigh, I'm not communicating this concept am I?

No matter how wholesome and innocent we think flags are, they are very specifically military symbols. Self defense is fine but IMO that's not what's going on here. Easily 10 or 20 times more of them killed in revenge by now & things are only getting worse. That's 30,000 to 60,000 dead bodies over there thanks to our flag waving, and another 1,000 of our own, from that initial 3,000. Ugh. That's a very bloody flag & I have no taste for waving that around. Just my opinion.

jaimegerise
09-14-04, 11:42 AM
All I meant is that we Americans should be proud to be Americans everyday, not just when we are at war, and not just when we are at peace. :D

Mary
09-14-04, 08:32 PM
I think we all should re-read what BIG said. We all have the right to our own opinions. This is not the place to air it... if you're upset about something..Take it to PM. This is in rememberance of those who lost their lives. Nothing more!