View Full Version : Refried Beans - Large batch, freezes well

Kimalimah
09-13-04, 09:58 AM
Soak 2 lbs Pinto beans overnight OR bring to boiling, simmer 2 minutes, remove from heat, let stand covered for 1 hour.

Bring to beans to boil. Add: 2 onions, quartered
2 cloves garlic
Bacon chunks (I use about 2/3 lb bacon)
1/8 cup salt

Cook until soft (3-5 hours).
Scoop beans plus fluid into hot frypan, fry and mash until they have the consistency you like. I leave quite a few unmashed beans because I think it looks better.

This makes a lot of refried beans which I then divided into small freezer containers and freeze. They freeze really well. It's nice having an instant side dish or ingredient for burritos on hand.

paulbf
09-13-04, 10:27 AM
Mmmm. Wow that's a lot of salt & where's the lard? You just fish the onions & garlic out before mashing?

Ever tried roasting your own chilis? Aneheim or New Mexico chilis, the large long green ones. Once I got yellow Hungarian chilis but they were deadly hot. Ideally turn each one on a skewer over a gas stove flame until black & peel when cooled, or I've heard of lining them up on a cookie sheet under the broiler with a rub of oil but this is much harder to get them right (usually too mushy). Can also be frozen.

Ah, the smell!

Serve long slices between flour tortillas with grated cheese, cooked in a large unoiled skillet on med-low heat & sliced like a pizza.

In Arizona, Mexican vendors roast them in a sort of hamster wheel cage over a flame that turns from the supermarket parking lot. Take them home hot, peel & freeze. Ideally peel without water to rinse the flavor off.

Kimalimah
09-13-04, 11:06 AM
Mmmmm, right back at you! :) The chili's sound goooood. We haven't ever done that. My husband makes a mean Carne con Chili using Ancho chilis. I'll put that in under main dishes when I get around to it.

You're right about the salt. I go by taste and probably don't put so much in. I don't use lard, just really fatty bacon. I suppose you could also use any fatty pork and if it wasn't bacon then the salt would probably be right.

As far as the onions, garlic, and bacon cubes go, by the time you've cooked it 3-5 hours they are really soft and mash right up with the rest of it. No straining or fishing needed. :D

That's what's so nice about it...cook it, mash it, freeze it , eat it.

Kim

P.S. I'm jealous that of where you live. You get the real thing. I've had to teach myself how to cook all sorts of things since moving to Germany. You don't even want to know what they consider "mexican"! :eek: