View Full Version : Who on here is vegetarian or vegan??

Crazygirl79
08-18-11, 07:57 AM
Hey.

I've been a vegetarian on and off for the past year despite having weight issues which I am addressing again (yeah I've fallen off the wagon so to speak but I've climbed back on it now and I intend to stay there!) and I was just wondering if there are any veg folk on here and if so could you share your stories about what made you go veg, how it happened and how successful you are or were??

I hope this will turn into a great discussion :)

NOTE: This thread has not being created for those who want to get on their soapboxes about peoples food choices or beliefs....this is just a general discussion, thanks xx

Selena :)

PI_guy
08-18-11, 08:28 AM
I went vegetarian for about 4 months after watching the documentary Food, Inc. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food,_Inc.) I couldn't really afford to eat organic or locally-farmed meat so my wife and I quit altogether.

It didn't go well. I was miserable. I grew up in a household that ate meat, vegetable, and starch every night for dinner. I can't help it, but I love meat. I do, however, make more informed choices about what meats I choose to eat (e.g., no pork). I also eat less meat (maybe 3 nights a week).

For me, finding a realistic balance that I can live with means I can be successful in my endeavor, instead of torturing myself to failure. Kind of like dieting...

Crazygirl79
08-18-11, 08:47 AM
I might just add that I don't personally have any issues with meat eaters at all and that I hope the belief that you are only responsible for your own dietary choices and beliefs and that one does not have the right to interfere in someones life in terms of their food and lifestyle choices or beliefs.

Selena

Song of Mercy
08-18-11, 09:21 AM
Hey Selena!!

I am a vegan. Right now I am eating a vegetarian diet due to having to take food donations over the past 3 months. We were eating whatever we got which included meat ect.

Generally when transitioning I like to start with removing meat, then dairy. Adding 2-4 cups of green smoothies in the morning has been great. Green smoothies provide a massive vitamin, fiber and phyto-nutrient charge which in turn reduces general craving type hunger throughout the day. I do eat wild caught salmon at least 3 times per week for the high quality omega's and use only genuine Himalayan salt for the mineral boost.

Other than that I do my best to stay completely away from white flour, granual sugar and grains with the bran removed. The flour and sugar are pure poison and I can always tell a significant increase in my energy when these items are completely gone for a couple of weeks. And of course grains other than whole generally only add calories so they are pointless for me as I do not need empty calories.

btw, I dont care if I eat salmon (lol) I am still vegan :D

Crazygirl79
08-18-11, 05:27 PM
I think every persons perception of vegetarianism and veganism varies for the next persons from everything I've read, heard and seen.

At this point I just don't eat meat or drink dairy milk firstly because I have difficulties digesting these foods properly and I always feel sluggish if you like after eating them and secondly as a qualified animal care worker I am only too aware of the horrors of factory farms and it is disgusting and appalling, sad thing is it's also true and I refuse to support such abuse.

With that said I'm not one of these mad extremist veggies that think it should all be shut down, I am aware that each person has the right to make their own food choices as I've said before but the only advice I give is to buy free range foods (check the farms out to make sure it is free range first!!)

Selena

sarek
08-18-11, 05:30 PM
Over time I have slowly come to the conclusion that I should be. The mind is somewhat willing but the flesh is very weak.
I have no doubt that a few years with my gf(who is vegetarian) would help me tremendously. That is not because my character is too weak to resist her, but rather because it is too weak to do it on my own.

Crazygirl79
08-18-11, 05:55 PM
It can be hard switching and people should do switch (only if they want to) in their own time.

Selena

StoicNate
08-18-11, 06:50 PM
I rather eat non-meat foods than meat foods, due to stomach/digestive issues.
Chicken is the only meat I like to eat from time to time, but only home baked.

Alex9
08-18-11, 09:43 PM
I could never eat a vegan or vegetarian diet for several reasons.

1. Since I take adderall, I cannot maintain a healthy weight if I didn't eat meat.

2. I need a TON of protein and I'm not sure that I can get enough from a vegan diet (someone is gonna tell me I'm wrong for this but whatever). My high protein diet helps with my adhd and it helps me gain muscle as an avid weighlifter and athlete

That being said, I wish I had the willpower and better circumstances to become a vegetarian because I definitely disagree with the way animals are treated in factory farms. I feel guilty sometimes that I support the suffering of so many animals.

TheJaredwhat
08-18-11, 10:21 PM
I went Vegan for a month! Proud of that :P mainly because I'm not sure how I did it. >.>

Most of what drove me to go vegan wasn't really a choice.. it just sort of happened. I'm lactose intolerant so dairy is just automatically out. And my school is near Uwajimaya, which is a huge asian food market that has a bunch of tofu dishes, and really nasty smelling meats. So I just started eating foods made out of tofu, and I started to really like tofu so I ate a lot of it, eventually I just started to try and make an effort to stop eating animal products because it made me feel healthier.

Also my best friends mom grew on a hippy commune that was strictly vegan, and my best friend was vegan for something like 2 years. So, they helped a lot :P

Anyways, I ended up losing a lot of weight, and I really wanted a steak.. So that was sort of the end of Jared being vegan. :( I still choose most vegan foods over most animal products!

Rebelyell
08-18-11, 10:56 PM
Blech,give me a nice medium rare steak/prime rib,the rarer the better and seasoned smashed potatoes and of course a nice beer;)

appa215
08-19-11, 04:02 PM
I've been vegetarian for over 1 year now. I quit "cold turkey" so to speak. One day I just decided, "no more meat!" Fact is, it is easier for some people than others. For me, it just happened to be really easy, EVEN THOUGH I did come from an all meat-eating family who ate meat EVERY day, usually twice a day. And believed me, I LOVED meat. Now I am the only one in my family who is vegetarian, but it helps that they all support me. I do have to do my own cooking sometimes, but that's not a big deal.

So it can be done. Some people would say to first try it by eliminating a certain type of meat from your diet, and then once you're comfortable with that, eliminate another, and so on and so forth until you are meat-free. Others would say to only eat meat a certain numbers of days per week, and gradually make the number smaller until it's 0 times per week. Others, like me, just quit all together at once. I found it very easy and simple. It may seem drastic, but to me (and FOR me...you have to choose what seems best for you!) it was the best option. If I had slowly weaned myself off of meat, I would've been tempted to "cheat" occasionally and say to myself, "Eh, it's just this once that I'll add an extra meat meal in this week." And I would make up excuses why.

I would also recommend telling some friends and off course your family, as long as you're pretty sure they'll be supportive. I see it like this: if they know, I feel more obliged to keep it that way. I would almost see it as lying to them.

For me, I would feel TERRIBLE if I ate meat again, even just once. I know now that it's not about personal purity, but instead about boycotting the industry. However, I have found that putting myself on a "no meat what so ever streak" has kept me away from meat. I almost see it as a game for myself. Like a challenge kind of? It's hard to explain, but basically I've made it so I would be very upset with myself if I ever ate meat again, almost like I lost my own game (no fun!).

I'm still a vegetarian and hope to be a vegan one day. I just gotta actually start and commit to that...

Anyway, I'm sure they're other tips out their on the internet, that's just how I think of it! Hope you found that interesting or useful :)

Anna

Unmanagable
08-19-11, 05:00 PM
The book "Food Rules" by Michael Pollan is what finally opened my eyes to healthier eating. It's a very quick read with essential information presented in a sort of comedic tone. I read it after watching the documentary "Food, Inc.", which was quite the eye opener as well, as someone mentioned in an earlier post.

I now eat locally raised meat and poultry, love salmon and tuna, but usually get my protein from beans, all-natural peanut butter and sunflower seed butter, eggs, etc. We grow some of our own veggies and herbs and buy locally grown produce as often as possible.

I used to pretty much live off of frozen foods and drive-thrus and continually suffered with inflammation, aches, pains, gastric issues, weight gain, etc. My body is very grateful for the change. :)

Crazygirl79
08-23-11, 12:08 AM
I'm proud to say that I have done extremely well since I've gotten back on the veg wagon, I have not allowed any meat to touch my lips for the last week and a half and I reckon I can stick to it for real this time..

Selena