View Full Version : Doc refused me ADHD meds

Laurelgardner
08-20-11, 01:05 PM
So...I've been medication free for about 7 years, now, and I've reached a point in my life where I'd like to be back on it for a while. I went to see our GP about spending some time on either Ritalin or Strattera (had good results with both of these for periods in high school and college, respectively), but he refused, clearly convinced I was just trying to get ahold of some drugs with a high street value. He practically said as much. He gave me a prescription for Wellbutrin, but the prescription turned out to be unfillable because he'd doubled the dosage from the manufacturer's directive and my insurance won't pay for it.

I have a referral from this guy to a psychiatrist, but the referral is for "coping skills and depression." I didn't go to see him about depression, I don't have a problem with depression, my issues are ADHD and associated anxiety.

My husband, also with ADHD, went to the same appointment for the same reason. Doc just told him to "set alarms," doesn't believe he has ADHD, and did not give him a referral to the psychiatrist.

I'm at a loss and really not sure what to do. Is it always going to be this hard to get medication, especially when I know my own brain, my own reaction to these meds? This doctor clearly didn't understand ADHD in the slightest, even went so far as to say that if my husband can stay focused for hours on end at a computer game (you know, hyperfocus), he doesn't have ADHD.

I really don't know where to go next, right now. The psychiatrist I was referred to? A different one? A psychologist? This is new to me; last time I had treatment for this stuff, it was all through my parents' doc, who was a GP, but nonetheless, brilliant with ADHD. Trying to figure out my own options right now is freaking me out a bit.

Lynx777
08-20-11, 02:11 PM
In my opinion, find a new doc. It really does not need to be that hard. I had problems with my doc as well. I hooked up with a new one that had more experience with ADHD. Things are much better now.

You should keep in mind though. Docs & P-Docs have a lot of rules they have to follow, also, the feds keep a fairly close eye on the prescriptions that they wright. So they are understandably cautious when there is any question in there minds about someones intentions.

sarahsweets
08-20-11, 02:19 PM
You can always see that psych and be honest. If that doctor won't listen you'll have to find a different one. Sometimes getting meds is an uphill battle.

Laurelgardner
08-20-11, 03:07 PM
Oh, I do understand the caution about these meds. What I find pretty unforgivable is that the guy clearly made up his mind that I was pulling a fast one on him and had no interest in actually helping me or my husband, which he could have done with all due caution. I suspect that the unfillable prescription was actually some kind of test to see if I was actually interested in some kind of help and not just trying to score a drug with street value (since we have to call back in to the clinic to get it filled). So basically, I payed for a doctor's appointment to get help and all I got was suspicion.

I'm also a bit miffed because frankly, it should have been obvious to anyone with half a brain that I could at least CONCEIVABLY be the "real deal" when I sat there talking about how I blog about ADHD, how I consult with people on these forums, the various books I've read, my understanding of the neurological functions, etc.

addrian2011
08-20-11, 03:20 PM
Print off a bunch of threads from this forum and mail them to him individually or better yet, just drop a pile of them off at his office with a letter explaining why you are choosing to find a new doctor. And make sure you let him know that you are going to discourage any of your family and friends who might have ADHD from seeing him.

Laurelgardner
08-20-11, 04:05 PM
Hell, I'm going to discourage anyone from going to him for ANY reason! It's one thing to not be knowledgeable, it's quite another to go forward as if you are when you're not...and to be more concerned about covering your a** (while still trying to look informed) than you are about the patient's health.

pedalpounder
08-20-11, 04:10 PM
Play the lawyer card, watch the doctor melt in fear.

AddaptAbilities
08-20-11, 04:22 PM
Strattera is a drug with high street value? Who knew?

Lunacie
08-20-11, 04:24 PM
Strattera has a high street value? I had no idea ...

Can you get a copy of your medical records from high school and college
when you were diagnosed and prescribed meds?

Take those to doctor, probably a psychiatrist, who has some experience
with ADHD. If there is a mental health clinic in your area, that's where I'd
start. Show the doctor that you were taking meds before, talk about why
you stopped, and tell him or her why you'd like to start again.

Laurelgardner
08-20-11, 04:34 PM
Yeah, Strattera is occasionally abused. Not nearly as much as Ritalin, but sometimes. I guess it gets used along with other drugs, not on its own?

I've written a detailed complaint to the clinic (which is very large). If nothing comes of that, my next stop is the licensing board.

Dangit
08-20-11, 10:36 PM
could you share with us who you went to? if it's not against forum rules? was it " @LL1na "?

Simenora
08-21-11, 02:18 AM
Oh, I do understand the caution about these meds. What I find pretty unforgivable is that the guy clearly made up his mind that I was pulling a fast one on him and had no interest in actually helping me or my husband, which he could have done with all due caution. I suspect that the unfillable prescription was actually some kind of test to see if I was actually interested in some kind of help and not just trying to score a drug with street value (since we have to call back in to the clinic to get it filled). So basically, I payed for a doctor's appointment to get help and all I got was suspicion.

I'm also a bit miffed because frankly, it should have been obvious to anyone with half a brain that I could at least CONCEIVABLY be the "real deal" when I sat there talking about how I blog about ADHD, how I consult with people on these forums, the various books I've read, my understanding of the neurological functions, etc.

don't you guys have malpractice down there? Did he do any type of assessment before deciding you were a drug addict? If not, was he not negligent.? In fact is it not true that making a dx without thorough exam is negligent? It is really not for him to decide if you have ADHD. Sarah is right, just be honest with P doc. Make sure to indicate how ADHD impacts your life. Do the questionnaires on line before you go and make sure to get your old report cards.

KronarTheBlack
08-21-11, 10:17 PM
Yeah, Strattera is occasionally abused. Not nearly as much as Ritalin, but sometimes. I guess it gets used along with other drugs, not on its own?

I've written a detailed complaint to the clinic (which is very large). If nothing comes of that, my next stop is the licensing board.

It is not possible for strattera to be abused. It is a non stimulant and takes weeks to have an effect. Not to mention the price

pedalpounder
08-21-11, 10:33 PM
It is not possible for strattera to be abused. It is a non stimulant and takes weeks to have an effect. Not to mention the price

It takes effect immediately. I took Strattera for 2-3 years before I discovered how evil it was. When I titrated up, my first dose was tiny - 10mg. Within 10 minutes it had taken effect and had made an enormous difference. I recall being puzzled at reacting nonchalantly to a situation that would absolutely without a doubt have caused me to get frustrated. It really does work and works fast.

It's a non-stimulant yet feels quite stimulating. I think the term 'stimulant' has a strict definition that doesn't abide by the common sense. But I agree, it acts differently than caffeine/nicotine/amphetamine/anyine.

As for its abuse potential... well... I once saw teenage girls purchase listerine and their body language was all telling. People will abuse anything.

Lunacie
08-22-11, 08:29 AM

People will sell anything in order to buy a high, even their bodies.
Price isn't a deterrent.

Everyone reacts differently to each medication. Strattera could cause
something like a high in a few people.

Anything can be abused, even water, even exercise. I doubt if Strattera
abuse is very common at all though.

ADHDTigger
08-22-11, 06:22 PM
Laurel, check your PMs...

janet63
10-21-12, 06:31 PM
I have had the same problems before with getting my Pysc doc to keep me on ADD meds.
I am really annoyed at the so called professionals telling me I don't know myself and what
works for my own body and quality of life.