View Full Version : passive aggressive disorder?

sarahsweets
08-22-11, 04:40 AM
What do you think? http://www.huffingtonpost.com/carol-w-berman-md/passive-aggressive-personality-disorder_b_930524.html

PinkRoxy
08-22-11, 04:55 AM
That is really interesting. I have felt like that sometimes but not all the time. I can come across as quite happy and pleasant in the work place but then I can come across as what Janine was if I'm in a bad mood or something has put me in one.

ADDinHDefgHi?!
08-22-11, 05:27 AM
I feel that I have been in situations where I have acted like that but it was not intentional on my part, or at least I feel that I was doing it subconsciously and only saw it for what it was in hindsight.

I don't work jobs that I don't like most of the time, I realize that my personal happiness depends upon me giving my all when I work. For this reason I've come to regard work as a time when I'm giving of myself completely and this helps me enjoy the jobs that I may not like as much. I do what I love for a living so I can't complain about my work, I naturally want to do it as well as possible.

I think that knowingly being passive aggressive in any situation is a recipe for disaster, I've experienced it first hand. It's something I've been working to overcome more in other areas of my life, I think it's an easy habit to slip into.

I can see how this article can relate to ADD since ADD can lead to the situation described in the article. but at the same time alot of ADD people try really hard and perform well some of the times or at least come across as wanting to do well even if they aren't.

I basically feel that the women in this article is a perfect example of how to behave if you want to go nowhere in your job or life. You have to care, and once she found something she truly cared about (her son's sobriety) she started to make progress.

This article is a good example of how therapy can have a powerful and positive effect on people's lives.

Azoox
08-22-11, 07:10 PM
I am a recovering PAPD. I'm far from being *cured* but the moment I found out about this condition was a gigantic eye opener. I can totally feel what the article describes. Being passive-aggressive is such a deeply confusing state to be in. Dealing with perfectionism or anxiety is hard, but at least it's straightforward while passive aggression is such a convoluted web of internal contradictions that disentangling it is almost like dealing with one of those nasty pain-inflicting devices in the series Saw, where the more you seem to be going in the right direction, the deeper the wound. Honestly, nothing confuses me more in life than passive aggression.

Azoox
08-22-11, 07:14 PM
P.S. By the way, if any of you, passive aggressives, have found a successful therapist or a helpful partner, then KUDOS to those therapists/partners. They're by far the best jugglers in the universe.

ginniebean
08-22-11, 07:57 PM
I dunno what do you think?

daveddd
08-22-11, 08:14 PM
sounds like another dumb label for something that is caused by all are other labels

Conman
08-22-11, 08:29 PM
i didnt know being passive aggressive was a disorder

Honeybadger
08-22-11, 08:57 PM
i didnt know being passive aggressive was a disorder

when a single mood defines your personality, it can be.

Sometimes people get depressed. But some people are always depressed. That's certainly a disorder.

I think my roommate's cat may have this condition.

sarahsweets
08-22-11, 09:04 PM
I just want to get hired to name new disorders. CTAS. can't take any sh** disorder.

Azoox
08-22-11, 09:11 PM
I'm a CTAS, too :)

Honeybadger
08-22-11, 09:17 PM
Pff. Y'all ain't got nothing on "floppy infant syndrome."

That and hydroencephalitis are probably my two favorite medical conditions.

ADDinHDefgHi?!
08-23-11, 03:51 AM
ATIFD Addicted To Internet Forum Disorder.... it's been a long hard road, but someday I'll turn off my laptop and go to sleep! Nah... probably not.

Honeybadger
08-23-11, 04:56 AM
Foreign Accent Syndrome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-y-x88hU9Y

Valter
08-23-11, 04:58 AM
I think that a lot of people, and I'm not referring to you in any personal/particular way, love to invent disorders for a determined behaviour, personality trait. Sometimes people are just being human, acting naturally.

sarahsweets
08-23-11, 05:01 AM
Foreign Accent Syndrome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-y-x88hU9Y

That was so fu**ing funny! Loll!

sarahsweets
08-23-11, 05:02 AM
I think that a lot of people, and I'm not referring to you in any personal/particular way, love to invent disorders for a determined behaviour, personality trait. Sometimes people are just being human, acting naturally.
I didn't think you meant me :)

PinkRoxy
08-23-11, 05:06 AM
I know what Sarahsweets means though lately Ive been right into labeling you just want to find out what you are all about and to know you arent the only one.
But then I agree that there are too many labels around these days, but then there are alot of disorders and brain dysfunctions around too.

Shiroyama
08-23-11, 05:10 AM
"Janine" just sounds like a straight up b**** to me I'm afraid. But I tend to be grateful when I have a job and try really hard at it, so I have a hard time relating to her. My procrastinating, forgetting and messing up usually happens on my own time and isn't done with malicious intent. I can see how this could be a disorder, but I'd never have the patience or, I hate to say, the compassion to be a therapist treating it.

PinkRoxy
08-23-11, 05:13 AM
I'm just glad I am able to be nice, friendly and polite to customers, cant say I am with customers that are difficult and abusive themselves but with all the others I am.

Honeybadger
08-23-11, 05:14 AM
Interestingly, the number of "new" diagnosis coming out, while most may sound just silly (restless leg syndrome? Sounds like a joke. Just don't say that to someone who has it!) very few are actually "nonexistent."

The reason all these new mental disorders are popping up is that medicine is really on a fast-track with regards to understanding neurochemistry. They aren't necessarily "new" disorders, rather, they are usually specific subcategories within another enveloping condition. There are all sorts of different types of ADD! They just don't get silly names.

ADD didn't used to exist, according to many. But the reality is, that we simply didn't know how to diagnose it. It's like saying that a brand new species of fish never existed up until the point at which we discovered it.

And such an absurd stigma is placed on mental disorders in particular. It's almost sickening. Arbitrarily accusing someone with "passive aggressive syndrome" of making things up, is exceedingly ignorant. I try to make it a habit in not giving expert opinions on things that I know diddly squat about!

Aaaaaaaaaaand back to our regularly scheduled programming. I knew all my Medical Terminology would finally be useful someday, beyond ****ing off everyone in boggle (protip, "choledosystojejunostomy" pretty much wins you the game)

Exploding head syndrome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_head_syndrome

JOHNCG
09-02-11, 11:47 PM
What do you think? http://www.huffingtonpost.com/carol-w-berman-md/passive-aggressive-personality-disorder_b_930524.html

In the reaserch that he and his team did into ADHD in adults (published in 2008) Russell Barkley and co noted (interestingly) that after Antisocial Personality Disorder, Passive Aggressive Personality Disorder (aka Negativistic Personality Disorder) was the most common PD among the adults with ADHD that were investigated.

If you are interested in PDs there is an excellent text on the subject called , "Personality Disorders in Modern Life", (by Fowler et al)

Fortune
09-03-11, 12:28 AM
If you are interested in PDs there is an excellent text on the subject called , "Personality Disorders in Modern Life", (by Fowler et al)

This is a pretty comprehensive book. I read through probably a third of it recently.

salleh
09-03-11, 12:32 AM
and there's this interesting article, and a whole lotta comments after.....they're heartbreaking .......

http://divorcesupport.about.com/od/abusiverelationships/a/Pass_Agg.htm

I was with a passive agressive guy for many years....and believe me.....the PA is NOT someone you want to know ....( sorry to the PA in recovery here on this thread, but it is very rare for a PA to even admit to a problem, much less try to do something about it ...so good for you)

it is something that is mostly brought on by certain treatment of that person as a child .....and if you read the article I just set the link up to .....( and if you're single ...it's a real good idea......run like h*** if you meet someone like this .....)

someone with PA ....oh heavens I could go on for hours ....but it is a very serious group of problems that person has ...and if you're involved with them .....life sucks, big time every day and in every way .....

and you can love them desperately .....nope ain't gonna work ......

TygerSan
09-04-11, 06:03 PM
:eek:choledosystojejunostomy

Now that's a procedure I really don't want to have.

mctavish23
09-04-11, 07:28 PM
For whatever reason, Passive -Aggressive Personality Disorder was removed

from the DSM following this Text Revision(although it might have been earlier).

Having worked with a ton of these people, I was disappointed they couldn't

substantiate the dx over time.

It's one of my favorite targets for paradoxical (reverse psychology) techniques.

e.g. :

"Oh how charming, it's definately you ( in the 18th century)."

" I can see you're having a bad day today, but that's no reason to try and

cheer me up ."

"When you get your giant ego up and out of your self-centered asss,let me

know;because I still wont' care."

etc etc

tv

mctavish23

(Robert)

daveddd
09-05-11, 08:58 PM
Interestingly, the number of "new" diagnosis coming out, while most may sound just silly (restless leg syndrome? Sounds like a joke. Just don't say that to someone who has it!) very few are actually "nonexistent."

The reason all these new mental disorders are popping up is that medicine is really on a fast-track with regards to understanding neurochemistry. They aren't necessarily "new" disorders, rather, they are usually specific subcategories within another enveloping condition. There are all sorts of different types of ADD! They just don't get silly names.

ADD didn't used to exist, according to many. But the reality is, that we simply didn't know how to diagnose it. It's like saying that a brand new species of fish never existed up until the point at which we discovered it.

And such an absurd stigma is placed on mental disorders in particular. It's almost sickening. Arbitrarily accusing someone with "passive aggressive syndrome" of making things up, is exceedingly ignorant. I try to make it a habit in not giving expert opinions on things that I know diddly squat about!

Aaaaaaaaaaand back to our regularly scheduled programming. I knew all my Medical Terminology would finally be useful someday, beyond ****ing off everyone in boggle (protip, "choledosystojejunostomy" pretty much wins you the game)

Exploding head syndrome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_head_syndrome

youre right and i dont think any of these things are made up issues

but , lets say restless leg syndrome

i can probably safely say anyone ive met with rls also has adhd or anxiety

both of which involve restlessness

my legs move nonstop , to the point where people are always saying something

bad enough to be accused of acting

but i definitely dont think i have a separate syndrome that is just responsible for my restless legs

Fortune
09-05-11, 10:05 PM
Do your legs keep you up at night?

daveddd
09-05-11, 10:10 PM
Do your legs keep you up at night?

restlessness in general

which has been helped on and off by different meds

daveddd
09-05-11, 10:22 PM
with a quick check i just found a couple things saying that rls and adhd may be related or one in the same

pechemignonne
09-20-11, 01:17 PM
I have restless legs, and I think it's related to my ADHD. What people don't understand is that it's not so much that I'm jiggling my legs around all night. I just have to keep constantly shifting and moving and stretching my legs, flippin gback and forth from one side to the other, or I get this horrible feeling. It's kind of like claustrophobia, but I'm not in an enclosed space, I am lying down, and the only way to make it go away is to move. But I feel constricted and anxious and really, really uncomfortable until I shift positions. Then it starts again.

It's worse if I'm overtired. That's why people's kind suggestions that I wake up early and exercise when I'm having trouble getting to sleep aren't really helpful: the more tired I am, the worse it is.

Try falling asleep when you can't stay in the same position for more than a minute.

Also, I kick my bf in my sleep. I'm a really, really active dreamer, and I mostly just have nightmares.

namazu
09-20-11, 01:58 PM
I have restless legs, and I think it's related to my ADHD.
[...]
Try falling asleep when you can't stay in the same position for more than a minute.
[...]
Also, I kick my bf in my sleep.

Me, too.

My partner and I were just about at the point of considering separate beds (or worse). :(

He had been very stressed out/hurt that I wasn't joining him when he went to bed. (And you can imagine the effects this also had on our love-life.)

So I made a concerted effort to join him -- and in his words, I "got [him] back" by tossing and turning and kicking so much that it prevented both of us from getting any sleep. (Not any better for our love-life, and possibly worse, since we were both tired and grumpy and I still couldn't focus or relax.)

I think at that point, he started to understand why I had previously needed to stay awake to the point of complete exhaustion/collapse before getting in bed (often around 4AM). To be fair, sure, part of it was internet addiction and procrastination and distraction. But mostly it was simply miserable for me to try to lie still in bed when I was so restless and HAD to move.

I started taking clonidine for my ADHD and another tic-like problem (added to other meds), and it seems to have about 85% quelled the restlessness. (This is the kind of side effect I like! Most meds don't work so well for me.) My partner thinks it's a wonder-drug. I think it's pretty cool that when I take it, we both sleep better! :cool:

Now I just need to turn off the computer a bit earlier...