View Full Version : Afraid to Adress Anxiety to Doctor

jgthejedi510
08-23-11, 12:10 AM
I am currently facing a dilemma that Iím not quite sure how to go about. I am currently prescribed Dexedrine 10mg 3x a day and it causes terrible anxiety. I mentioned this to my Doc and have been prescribed Luvox which didnít work and then Celexa 20mg a day which has no effect.

It's been about a month on Celexa 20mg, and I have barely noticed any difference in anything besides being in a overall "better mood". As for addressing my anxiety issues, it seems powerless against my exacerbated social anxiety. Today at my appt. I told my doc these results after a month and she increased my dose to 40mg Celexa a day.

Before going into my appt. I had donít some research on new drug called Klonopin. It seems that this could be useful since the last 2 SSRIís had minimal effect. The problem is that I'm afraid to ask and/or don't know how to approach the question. There is a lot of stigma attached to this class of drug (Benzo) and Iím not sure if I should be safe and maybe trial abunch of other SSRI crap that will be ineffective just to make my intentions seem pure. Or maybe tell her that I want to try the Benzo.

My fear has a lot to do with my past experiences with my doc.. I have been very insisting in the past due to trying to pin-point an effective ADD medication that works. The medications that I have tried in the past have been Adderall, Ritalyn, Wellbutrin, Staterra and generic Dexedrine, and I even made a big scene so they would cover my a BRAND name Dexedrine that they normally donít cover, since the generic stuff didnít work. Basically Iíve always made a big deal to justify what I want to try. After many failed attempts to alleviate my ADD symptoms, I learned that my hassle was futile because I most likely have what is known as SCT; which has limited treatment. In the process of me demanding trials of different medications, I feel as though my doc has some sort of suspicion that I have sketchy motives. One time when requesting a new medication, she asked me to take a drug test and asked me a bunch of questions that seemed to be somewhat integrative, but she tried to play it off as if this was just routine.
I think my Doctor is misperceiving my ambition to treat myself effectively for being a drug abuser or other suspect. Thus far, she has no proof, but I have a feeling she has this perception of me.

My current state with my anxiety is painful. I avoid a lot of social situations, my co-workers probably think Iím odd since I try to avoid them so much, Iíve made accidental enemies in my college setting due to miscommunications brought on my this stupid anxiety, and authority figures probably think Iím rude too since whenever they try and strike up conversations with me I say something stupid out of anxiety. I come off very weird with it, and the SSRIís arenít helping.

Can anyone relate to this? Can anyone give me some sort of advice as how to approach this in my current situation? I feel as though I really need some advice.

selita
08-23-11, 01:19 AM
I think you're probably better off reducing or dropping the Dexedrine and seeing if that alleviates the anxiety before asking about Benzos. Especially if it gives you little or no benefit.

Have you thought about therapy for social anxiety? Social skills training? Cognitive/behavioural therapy? It's considered a better long-term solution than meds.

You seem very worried about what others think about you. The most valuable thing I learned is that they don't. Most people are way too busy thinking about themselves.

Beta-blockers are sometimes used by people with social anxiety or performance anxiety to prevent physical symptoms, as needed -- before public speaking and other stressful situations. They don't affect your brain the way that benzos do.

sarahsweets
08-23-11, 04:47 AM
Its very tempting to reach for a benzo for anxiety. I'm not minimizing your anxiety but generally it seems to be a safer bet to reserve benzos for acute panic attacks then overall anxiety.

sciencer
08-23-11, 07:04 AM
Ask her to supplement Guanfacine because the anxiety is making your treatment hard to deal with. Tell her the Celexa 20mg is not working and you want to try Guanfacine instead.

Another psychiatric use of guanfacine is for treatment of anxiety, such as generalized anxiety disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder symptoms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guanfacine

I am going to ask my doc for this next time, because antidepressants and benzo are addictive and may not work complicating the relationship between the doctor and you.

Tell her you want to try vyvanse instead of the 3X10g DEx, its basically the same thing just less abusive (don't mention the less abusive part)... Make something up like you forget to take it and you experience to many change with you anxiety. Tell her you read that vyvanse doesn't make people as anxious as other stimulants do.

I think if you are honestly not abusing your meds. Suggesting that you want to try vyvanse instead of the Dex 10mg and replacing the Celexa 20mg with Guanfacine. These meds are control substances for a reason, your doc is only looking out for you..

http://www.drugs.com/comments/lisdexamfetamine/vyvanse-for-attention-deficit-disorder.html

by the way I think I might have SCT too...THe meds don't help with my attention problems that much but enough to help keep what I am doing. Keep in mind that ADD meds are not mood enhancers like many people think. what they do is gave you the ability sustain your attention. SO if you don't have the motivation to do something its unlikely you will see a difference.

Good luck....show her/him ur resaerch on these medications and I think you will have a better relationship with ur doc.

--------------------------------
don't for get to thank me I spent 30mins doing this

hollywood
08-24-11, 09:34 AM
antidepressants certainly were not the answer for me . I've spent 12 months trialing all the ssri's and then a few snris. For me it wasn't worth it and did more harm than good. At some points even on non therapeutic doses of ssri's or snri's I could barely get my work done and at times made no sense at all to anybody including myself. Keep in mind alot of these times were introductory phases so that may be par for the course but not on my golf course. I've no time to suffer from attack of the dums. Anyway , after all this my conclusion is the following. For forms of environmental anxiety in my personal experience the best thing that may help me is something that will help me relax and not compromise my working memory. This would be intuniv or tenex. Tenex seemed more sedating , intuniv seemed to be smoother and more helpful and did seem to help me and my memory and do the things I wanted to do . This of course in my case is only with intuniv added in combination with stimulants. Intuniv or tenex alone would not help me , it is best used for me as a combination or add on. So, after a wasted year this is my conclusion and this will be the only thing that I will consider adding to stimulants besides wellbutrin.

jgthejedi510
08-24-11, 10:53 PM
Beta-blockers are sometimes used by people with social anxiety or performance anxiety to prevent physical symptoms, as needed -- before public speaking and other stressful situations. They don't affect your brain the way that benzos do.

Selita,

What exactly do you mean by "Physical Symptoms". Basically my Dexedrine makes me feel "jittery" and ready to jump out of my skin. Anything that would NORMALLY cause me anxiety is exacerbated when I'm on my dex. My hands shake slightly, my HR is increased and I feel like i'm in fight-or-flight mode, not relaxed at all. These symptoms are most frequent when I take my medication for the first time of the day, and slowly diminish in intensity with each following dose throughout the day.

Tell her you want to try vyvanse instead of the 3X10g DEx, its basically the same thing just less abusive (don't mention the less abusive part)... Make something up like you forget to take it and you experience to many change with you anxiety. Tell her you read that vyvanse doesn't make people as anxious as other stimulants do.

Sciencer,

Have you tried Vyvanse yourself? I heard this drug is a one dose per day drug, and that it's extended release throughout the day. For me, XR medications have always caused problems, as they don't seem to release throughout the day and Iím tempted to take another dose as I would with an IR form of a particular drug. XR and IR drugs work the same for me, and I prefer IR because i can break up the doses and take them every 2 hours. After 2 hours the medication seems to be ineffective and I have to take another dose.

sciencer
08-25-11, 12:19 AM
Sciencer, [/COLOR]
Have you tried Vyvanse yourself? I heard this drug is a one dose per day drug, and that it's extended release throughout the day. For me, XR medications have always caused problems, as they don't seem to release throughout the day and Iím tempted to take another dose as I would with an IR form of a particular drug. XR and IR drugs work the same for me, and I prefer IR because i can break up the doses and take them every 2 hours. After 2 hours the medication seems to be ineffective and I have to take another dose.

I have an atypical attention deficit disorder, so my experiences is a bit different for most people. I am on low 30mg of vyvanse however I can never tell if the med is wearing off. I know that vyvanse last the longest of the stimulants and wears off slowly, 14 hours. vyvanse is pretty much the samething as dex when it gets broken down in the stomach, so you will get the same response but maybe you will need a higher dose.

I know people who develop tolerances to stimulants...the thing is the mind will always chase the high which the meds give. the brain chemicals that you need are still there, just that the mood is not there. THe down side with instant release is that the up and down mood changes causes things like anxiety, happy to sad, tired/sleepy. When things get hard to deal with you pop a pill to deal with situations rather than relying on ur self. That is where the danger lies. I think ur anxiety problem might be related to the dosage not being constant (It will be too high (anxiety) then too little), stimulants tend to increase anxiety . thats why I wanted you to try vyvanse where its constant and your brain can do what it needs to do. I think the anxiety problem needs to be addressed, and I think your problem lies with the instant release tabs. Anxiety is a way the your brain tells you something is wrong/coping. and the drugs I told you about I think can make a big difference in your life.

I don't know if this video applys to you but I think you should watch it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqwzCaoTKuQ&feature=related

GOod luck dude

selita
08-25-11, 12:33 AM
Selita,

What exactly do you mean by "Physical Symptoms". Basically my Dexedrine makes me feel "jittery" and ready to jump out of my skin. Anything that would NORMALLY cause me anxiety is exacerbated when I'm on my dex. My hands shake slightly, my HR is increased and I feel like i'm in fight-or-flight mode, not relaxed at all. These symptoms are most frequent when I take my medication for the first time of the day, and slowly diminish in intensity with each following dose throughout the day.

Exactly what you described. But, honestly, if you're getting that kind of reaction I think you're either taking too much, not getting enough sleep, or it's not the right drug for you.

I was having that sort of problem on 30+mg of Mph and 10mg Adderall, when I was under a lot of life stress, but not on Dexedrine at all. (That might have been a bit of a placebo effect; it's what I expected and hoped would happen.) But... mostly mental anxiety, not physical symptoms other than heart rate.

twinch42085
09-01-11, 04:27 AM
Don't ever be afraid to address something to your doctor. This goes for anyone with any doctor.

Remember that you're are the one with the medical condition and it is your responsibility to let your physician know how you are feeling.

Don't ever be afraid....You can always choose to get a second, third, fourth, etc......opinion as to whether a benzodiazepine would be a wise choice for the type of anxiety that you're experiencing.

Macavity224
09-01-11, 07:13 AM
While benzos are great for panic attacks or for the short-term, they're not the type of drugs you want to be on for the rest of your life. Not trying to diminish your anxiety, because I've been there too...just warning you.

jgthejedi510
09-19-11, 01:10 AM
Sorry I have been absent from MY thread for such an extended period!

Honestly, the time needed for my education has been very demanding of me and in the process kicking my butt! Now back to my thread.....

I am very greatful I have all of you brothers and sisters to turn to for counsel and advice, as it helps me make the most beneficial and calculated decision that has potential to impact my life as I know it.

Thus far, I've learned that keeping secrets from my doctor is not the answer and that I should not try to take it into my own hands as a un-trained professional, and leave it up to the experts to decide my treatment.

I will take all your suggestions into consideration :)

Also Sciencer ,your insight was very well ingested as food for thought..Thank you :)

anonuser999
09-19-11, 11:47 AM
(Answering all posts in haiku today)

I am on Addy
And klonopin. It works well
But effects will wane.