View Full Version : Issues with dieting and ADHD

hxt1138
08-24-11, 12:29 PM
wondering what people do to lose weight when they have adhd. I used to lift weights for many years and then stopped but my regular diets were very low in carbs. I liked them because they worked better with my body in the sense that i had less muscle loss than with regular diets. Problem is the really low carbing makes my brain (worsens my adhd) really foggy all day and i need a clear mind for college.

How do you guys go around this? i believe maybe a slightly higher carb diet would work maybe better but i'm not sure if there are other things one can do to stay low carb and keep better brain function.

here's a sample diet i used back then

Meal 1: 6 whole eggs (omega-3 eggs)
meal2: 8oz chicken w/ 1/2 cup raw almonds
meal3: 50g whey protein w/ 2 tbsp peanut butter
meal4: 8 oz chicken/salmon with 1 cup broccoli
meal5: 50g whey protein with 2 tbps peanut butter
meal6: 6 whole eggs

I would usually do egg whites at night. Cardio on empty stomach 3-5 times a week increasing time or frequency as weeks went on. This worked wonders for my body.

The point is to get the body into a low carb mode where it switches to use fat for energy (ketosis). Problem is i'm not sure i will be able to perform the same in school.

Any suggestions?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Supplements taken would be:
*'Extend': amino acids for recuperation

*'l-glutamine': to prevent muscle loss and recuperation

*'creatine': 5g/day, post workout

*daily multivitamin

* fish oil caps twice a day ( kirkland brand)

*vitamin D3 2,000 i.u twice a day (kirkland)

*vitamin C (ester-c) 500mg twice a day

*green tea as actual tea once or twice a day

* coffee with stevia in the mornings

May use a postworkout combination when lifting weights of 2 gatorade servings and 50g whey protein still deciding.

pechemignonne
08-24-11, 01:36 PM
Why do you need to "lose weight"? If you want to build muscle, you will inevitably gain some muscle weight. And you can't build muscle if you're starving your body, which is what those low-carb, low fat diets do.

Just MHO.

cattail
08-24-11, 11:08 PM
Before I started on Adderall it was pretty much impossible for me to lose weight while trying to study. I absolutely could not think or focus while on a calorie deficit. Now I only want to eat when I am hungry and it is really nice to not fight the constant desire to snack!

Aside from that, when I have lost weight I did it by simply counting calories. As a biologist I just can't buy into anything other than "a calorie is a calorie is a calorie". Doesn't matter what you eat as long as you eat fewer calories than you burn. Now, of course what you eat will determine how you feel. Eat crap and I felt like crap.

The last few times I ate whatever I wanted but stuck to the "put less in than I burned" rule. I wrote down everything I ate and its calories and how many calories I burned with the day's activities. This tended to lead me toward less calorie dense foods since I like to eat a lot. One of my favorite tips was big bowls of yummy broth based soups at night, really comforting and filling but low in calories. And hot herbal tea in the evenings especially right before bed. Warm fluids keep the hunger pains at bay.

yeah it was a lot of work looking things up and writing it down, but I learned a lot about which foods were high in nutrients and low in calories and when I reached my goal I wasn't deprived and ready to eat all the things I had denied myself. I could just eat a bit more of what I was already eating.

I guess that may not have really been what you are looking for though. Sorry if it wasn't. I just can't do any kind of terribly restrictive diet. Makes me depressed really really unpleasant to be around. Plus I would just gain the weight back as soon as I started eating normally again.

good luck!

hxt1138
08-25-11, 03:02 AM
Why do you need to "lose weight"? If you want to build muscle, you will inevitably gain some muscle weight. And you can't build muscle if you're starving your body, which is what those low-carb, low fat diets do.

Just MHO.

thanks but you see i am mostly trying to maintain "some muscle" that still there from years of lifting before. I still kept more than the average on my frame and i would hate to get skinny, i atleast want to have some type of frame on me.

The diet is low carb only. This diet is well over 2000 Calories so i am not starving my body. THe body switches to use fat for energy and thats more efficient to keep muscle (for some people). Just need to get past the brain problem.

hxt1138
08-25-11, 03:06 AM
cattail (http://www.addforums.com/forums/member.php?u=54522) http://www.addforums.com/forums/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_1159785", true); *********** from the bodybuilding point of view on my body i always became terribly scrawny looking when i did a normal 40/40/20 diet, and worse if i did not watch the ratios and just calorie counted. This is hard to see when you work so hard to get the muscle through putting work day in and day out. The low carb allows some to keep more muscle than with other diets although you do get some sides with irritability etc etc. Wish i could do it without having brain fog.

hxt1138
08-25-11, 03:09 AM
cattail, I was trying to reply but it did a bad cut and paste job. Normally the calorie counting makes me scrawny lol. We'll see if i can do maybe a mild low carb diet.

pedalpounder
08-25-11, 03:10 AM
- Fidgeting burns a lot of calories.
- I lost the most weight while on a 4000 calorie a day diet (which also included two 20-mile bicycle rides at a fast pace daily)
- I was super fit then but still had some weight sticking around. I got out of this plateau with...
- The divorce diet. That was surprisingly effective. I lost 15% body weight in 2 months, while maintaining muscle mass from all my cycling, and didn't feel hungry one bit. But it only works for divorces where you're the leaver. If you're the leavee, then you gain weight as you drown your sorrows in ice cream and McDoubles. I'm not even making this up. so sad.

pechemignonne
08-25-11, 08:59 PM
thanks but you see i am mostly trying to maintain "some muscle" that still there from years of lifting before. I still kept more than the average on my frame and i would hate to get skinny, i atleast want to have some type of frame on me.

The diet is low carb only. This diet is well over 2000 Calories so i am not starving my body. THe body switches to use fat for energy and thats more efficient to keep muscle (for some people). Just need to get past the brain problem.
I'm glad you're not starving yourself, but I still don't get why you need to be on such a restricted diet unless you have some kind of health problem.

And any diet that makes your brain foggy is not good for you.

I'm sorry, but that just doesn't seem healthy. Frankly, unless you can justify it in some other way, it sounds like an eating disorder to me. At the very least, an unhealthy obsession. I hope you are consulting a doctor.

hxt1138
08-26-11, 01:13 AM
lol i wish it was an obsession. I let go for a few months eating too much and driking while staying home alot to study plus that stress and thus im out of shape. If i had a problem with it i would atleast be skinny and i would gladly take that obsession but its just not the case.

People who like bodybuilding go on restricting diets. Its actually liberating and teaches you some humility, discipline, and over all gives that achievement feeling that feeds success.

I've actually been doing cardio 40 mins everyday for this week and playing basketball here and there. I feel more active than before and its helping me sleep better. I hear a tape called No excuses by brian tracy durying cardio and honestly is making obsessed with success in school and life. I feel alot better and actually finished my homework due tuesday today. I will be finishing my presentation paper for monday tomorrow and i will go over a lecture before the lecture tommorow as well.

This actually helping my add tremendously but i just havent gone so strict on the carbs i just wish it was as good to maintain muscle if you had the regular carb amounts. I'm not even taking my medication and i think im getting alot more done than when im on it. I will be getting on it for exams week to help with a boost but i feel im on the right track here. More attention, and less defeceit along with less weight lol.

Cheers to all. G'nite.:)