View Full Version : my adhd makes me a more playful person?

dylan201
08-24-11, 01:36 PM
im 18 and i couldnt help but notice that im way too playful of a person lol. all the time i play stupid games with my 14 year old brother sometimes involving ninja swords and stuff lol. i also tend to pick him up and start wrestling him all the time. i was wondering if all this is just my personality or if its because of my adhd because when i take my medication the urge is still there but i dont play with him as often while im medicated

sarahsweets
08-24-11, 05:01 PM
Being playful is defiantly not in the dsm.

Lunacie
08-24-11, 05:14 PM
ADHD makes us impulsive. Meds give us those few seconds it takes to make a decision on whether or not to do something, in other words be less impulsive.

Kaimei
08-24-11, 05:43 PM
It's not just the impulses, it's the freewheeling thoughts and the creativity. Especially when you're around kids - I've noticed it in myself. I'm not a huge fan of being around kids, but some of my friends have children of various ages. I've gotten comfortable with some of them, to the point where I can romp and play with them. There's something very liberating about them - I can indulge in any crazy, whimsical leap of imagination and they never look at me like I lost my marbles.

I tend to be playful too - if that's a result of my ADHD, I'll keep it.

Alex9
08-24-11, 09:17 PM
I'm playful, and I believe it has roots in my hyperactivity, which is definitely part of adhd.

Lunacie
08-25-11, 08:34 AM
I'm playful, and I believe it has roots in my hyperactivity, which is definitely part of adhd.

Maybe that's it - I have little hyperactivity and it manifests as anxiety. I can play for maybe 10 minutes before I reach sensory overload. This doesn't count board and card games.