View Full Version : Sensory and Medication

PamelaM
08-25-11, 11:23 PM
My 8 year old son has an eye infection and needs to have eye drops. Any suggestions to help an ADHD sensory challenged child with eye drops? He completely freaked out tonight when we needed to give him the drops. He needs to take them 4 times/day and I will be home alone with him for most of these doses. We talked to him for over an hour and he cried and fought us the whole time. I know that something like this is harder given his ADHD and especially his sensory issues.

Thanks,

selita
08-26-11, 12:14 AM
I haaate eye drops. I tried wearing contacts once and it freaked me out so much. I managed to get them in once -- after about a hour of trying -- and then gave up forever.

Make sure they're room temperature, not refrigerated, unless they really have to be. The easiest way is to tilt the head up, pull the lower eyelid down and roll the eye way up and back so you can't see it coming (that's the really nasty part). Soon as the drop is in, get him to blink a few times and then distract him.

Can you teach him to do it himself? But make sure he knows it's not optional. "We can do this the easy way or the hard way," you know?

When my dogs have had eye drops I tried to get it done as fast as possible. Grab, tilt, drip, drip, release. Warn them and they just go hide somewhere. The fear is worse than the actual thing.

amm8589
08-28-11, 07:53 AM
I hate eye drops. What I do for my kids is drop the medication right next to their eye, and they turn there heads so it rolls into their eye gently. It's a lot less traumatic.

hollywood
11-17-11, 10:20 AM
I find that initially and during younger years stimulants will block sensory problems. As you get a bit older I'm 29 you will still get the benefits of the stimulants but there is no dose strong enough to inhibit the stressors and distractions that are constant at work , home, duties, to do list, want to do list, continuing education, eating, the list goes on obviously. So, we see quite a bit of adhd people with major sensory overload, usually when this happens any adhd person will latch onto something and lock that thought process ( alot of times you will hear this as being stuck or driven towards anxiety thoughts ) as the adhd mind is on sensory overload shock and cannot process anymore incoming information. The truth is it's just too much, so you see fatigue, aches and pains and so on. What your describing is the adolescent portion that this applies to and it worsens and carries over across everything into adulthood. The mode of treatment is an ssri or tenex or intuniv, whichever takes the mind off whats wrong while allowing to still focus. It's not about definitive labeling ... for example ( DSMV) this or that or some doc putting a tag on it , it's processing and it carries over to other stuff. Simple as that.

sarahsweets
11-17-11, 10:30 AM
Ive laid my children on their sides and dropped them in the corners before.

emploding
11-17-11, 07:21 PM
Also try and get the bottle as close to the eye as you can, dropping them from a height tends to be more scary. When I was younger I found if I put them in myself it was a bit easier, even though I made a huge mess doing it.

As a few people have said, try it on their side so it rolls into their eye, not dripping in.

ladythoms
12-15-11, 08:29 PM
I know this is an older post, but I have trouble with putting eye drops in my own eyes. The only way I can get drops in my eyes is to very gently pull my lower lid down and to put the drops in that gap followed by tilting my head back and blinking several times. I *cannot* drop them on to my eye, and remember needing to be held down once at the Optometrist so he could get them in.