View Full Version : drinking on wellbutrin???

cinfid12
08-26-11, 12:49 AM
I am about to ask my doctor for wellbutrin because SSRI's haven't done anything for me. My room mate takes wellbutrin and always drank. Is it okay to drink on it? I am in college so it may not always be a couple drinks.
Thanks

blgw99
08-26-11, 02:28 AM
It probably won't kill you or even make you ill or anything, but it is generally not a good idea, because both lower your seizure threshold. And alcohol is likely to affect you a lot stronger. Also, it changes the way the drug is metabolised in the body. So, it is up to you if you take these risks.

Drizzy
08-28-11, 02:26 AM
I first started taking the generic Wellbutrin XL and got sick EVERYTIME I drank. I'd throw up after a few drinks and have a huge hangover. It sucked. I switched to the brand name Wellbutrin XL(which worked 10x better btw) and didn't have any problems after that

Spacemaster
08-28-11, 12:50 PM
You might try taking the wellbutrin in the morning so you can drink at night. Probably not a good idea to drink excessively though.

Alex9
08-28-11, 07:16 PM
Someone already mentioned this but wellbutrin definitely lowers the seizure threshold and so does alcohol, so that could potentially be dangerous.

Wellbutrin never had a significant effect on alcohol tolerance for me, but just be aware that it could affect your tolerance.

Also, both adderall and wellbutrin are pretty harsh on your liver so if you drink a ton that could be an issue.

It's not the best combination, but I think don't it will kill you to drink every once and a while when on wellbutrin.

ADDisme2010
09-01-11, 11:37 AM
My doctor advised me to NEVER drink while taking Wellbutrin. I think it is because I do have some liver issues though. I really do miss having a beer or a mixed drink at times, especially at specials dinners, loved a beer with my steak!!

Blueranne
09-01-11, 11:44 AM
I got really wasted once while on Wellbutrin. The effect I experienced was it seemed like I didnt get drunk as fast as I normally would so I kept drinking more. Then it all hit me like a ton of bricks and lasted much longer. However, oddly enough I wasnt hung over the next day.

This was only once so I cant say if that would be a normal effect but, I would just do what that other person said and take the Wellbutrin early in the morning if you know you are going to go out that night.

sarahsweets
09-01-11, 11:51 AM
Just be safe. Get straight on wellbutrin and don't drink unless you have an alcohol problem.