View Full Version : ADD symposium this saturday Sept 18th in California

moxee33
09-15-04, 02:43 PM
Hi,
I didn't see this posted anywhere so I thought I'd pass it on.
I found it on the kitty petty website www.kpinst.org (http://www.kpinst.org)

Daniel G. Amen, M.D.

Clinical Professor of Psychiatry & Human Behavior U.C. Irvine School of Medicine

Neuropsychiatrist, SPECT Imaging Researcher

International Speaker and Best-Selling Author

Healing Anxiety, Depression & ADD

Dr. Amen will define seven types of anxiety and depression and

six types of ADD and treatment modalities

Saturday, September 18, 2004

8am-5pm

Tyco Electronics

Menlo Park, CA

moxee33
09-18-04, 10:48 PM
Did anyone else on this forum go to the symposium?

He really blew me away. I really feel inspired to change in all the ways he mentioned. I wish I could get the scan, but its so expensive. But I think he is right...if I knew then what I know now....I would have gotten the scan. I am sure I have spent almost the same amount and my Dr and I are still figuring things out.

I'd love to know what others thought of him/the topic or the soggy sandwiches;)

charlie
09-19-04, 02:02 PM
nope didn't go
but would LOVE to read what you learned moxee!
is this the $3k scan my Dr told me about?
What are some of the inspirational ideas you came away with?

moxee33
09-22-04, 02:22 PM
Hi Charlie,
I posted a few things about the symposium on other threads and I thought you might be interested to take a look there also.:)

I think the most important things I learned from Dr Amen were:

1) the brain has the consistency of custard and is VERY EASILY damaged. Even slight brain damage can change a persons personality and sometimes the bad effects are like ADD or other personality disorders.
If you have kids...BE VERY CAREFUL WHICH SPORTS YOU LET THEM PLAY. NO tackle football, NO hitting soccer balls with their head!

2)Vitamins and supplements are as good as many prescribed medications

3) The right foods and vitamins can help your brain

4) The absolute most important thing I learned, is that it is possible that some of the things that I can't stand about some people in my life may be because of damage to or inactive or overactive parts of their brains. Somehow that has helped me calm down in my interactions with them, much more than when I thought their actions were because they didn't care or were jerks. Now, I am looking for other ways to help them/us.ie better food,supplements etc.

I would really recommend getting the DVD if you are interested in his ideas. I cant even tell you 1% of all he said (mostly because I would be afraid that I'd get the names of disorders and brain parts and medication wrong!!!)

Hope that helps :)

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10269&highlight=amen

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10363&highlight=amen

charlie
09-22-04, 11:16 PM
Thanks moxee

{Quote} ... they took 100 people with ADD and scanned them. They expected that all their brain scans would look the same because they all had ADD. But the brain of the inattentive type is different than the hyper type etc. So they basically said he is a quack {Quote}

moxee, this really blows me away that it's physically proven by a scan which portions of the brain are inactive or overactive!
I heard they've scanned folks before and after medications and they can tell which portion of the brain the meds are working on. This statement is so amazing to me, it just feels like a light bulb blinking off over my head "it's real, it's a physically proven fact".

I'll have to get back and read more from your links later, thanks so much.
You must be very inspired now to learn all you can. Thanks for sharing!