View Full Version : AHHHHH!!! Does anyone relate??

oopsadoodle
08-28-11, 03:38 AM
ok so ive been known to throw "temper tantrums" as my mom likes to call them. but this was a bit worse. so everything was ok that day yada yada yada then my mom looked in my room and saw some stuffthat was welllll not mine she flipped i got ****ed and started freaking out. then she said we wouldnt go out to go get my phone.( i broke my old one in....surprise a fit) she didnt trust me and i was so frustrated. she went out to go get my phone and i well....did something thats life threatning.u figure it out. i got scared and called poison control the dude there was patronizing saying i just killed my self. so i called my dad who was outta town for work, who then told my mom and she rushed me to the hospital.

thats not the worst of it. when i was in the hospital they sent ppl after doctor after physsomething people. The one person that made me most mad was the social worker. First off i hate when random strangers try to care for me. after all i am a big girl! well after she tried to weed things out of me she gave my mom a surprise visit. later i found out shes acctually an investigator. welll the evil people were talking of locking my mom up. well i didnt like that so i ran away.little did i know the cops were gonna come look for me. after the found me at my friends house they took me to this building. my bro was there and they wouldnt me see him. they didnt tell me anything. anyways too make a long and boring story short they sent me to my aunt and uncle.

sooo thatx my story, i dont blame you if you dont care or if you think im a brat. cause i am. but if you wanna read it you can if yu wanna comment u can. anyways does anyone else have impulse control problems???

Spacemaster
08-28-11, 12:33 PM
I think we all do. I don't think we all fly off the handle and grab attention by attempting to commit suicide, or make our parents believe we will so we can get our way. If you really are depressed, and this isn't just some attention craving action, get help. really.

If you just did it to scare your parents and get your way, yes. you are a brat. Even though we do impulsive things, you have to be prepared for the aftermath. Of course a social worker has to get involved. If you are a minor and pull some kind of stunt like that, they have to get involved, it's the law.

I know it can be very hard to control impulses, as I am a very reactionary person myself. I'm also a mother, and although my child is only four years old, I can tell you that I wouldn't be getting him a phone either if I discovered some illegal sh*t in his room.

Here's the thing, your parents are not obligated to get you a phone. I didn't get one until I left the house, and I survived! They are fun, very convenient, but not totally necessary. The only phone my child will be getting from me will be one for emergencies. You have to deserve a phone, and even though impulsive behavior is hard to control, you have to accept the consequences of your actions. If you were acting like a sh*t head, no phone!

I don't mean to make light of a suicide attempt, or dismiss it as the action of some bratty kid. If you really have a problem, please get help. Talk to someone, call a hotline or whatever.

I also don't mean to rag on you. I've done a number of stupid impulsive things. My point is that, even though we have a disorder, and are more prone to doing stupid things on a whim, we have to be able to accept the consequences and try to learn from them. You can't just use your disorder to act out and get people to do what you want. It's time to grow up a little. Take this as advice, not an insult. I've been there.

sarahsweets
08-28-11, 01:57 PM
This stemmed from wanting a new phone?

Simenora
08-28-11, 02:05 PM
This stemmed from wanting a new phone?

yes Sarah, and get this, it was after she wrecked the first one I bought her. And yes everyone, Opps is Simenora's DD. She is making progress she is owning what she did. This is good.

oopsadoodle
08-28-11, 02:25 PM
ok. i didnt explain myself properly. soooo i was already in a crap mood. then my self esteem went down cause my mom didnt trust me. even when i told the truth ( boy who cried wolf is the story of my life)but ya it was mostely cause of impulse. i barely realized what i was doing at first, it was like i was zonedout. then my dad calls and it hits me.

.....reading this over ya i still sound like a spoiled brat

Lunacie
08-28-11, 06:47 PM
Hello and welcome, Oopsadoodle (love the name!) :)

I've done some impulsive things that look like a spoiled brat - and I was
an adult at the time. ADHDers not only have poor impulse control, we also
have poor emotional control. I still find my feelings getting hurt by my
grandkids and I should be old enough to know when they're just having
a crappy day and I'm handy to dump on.

I wasn't diagnosed for ADHD and Anxiety until I was in my late 50's. I'm
not taking anything for the ADHD except Omega 3 (fish oil supplement).
I recently realized how much my "tantrums" were disrupting my family and
went to the mental health clinic. I've been talking to a therapist and a
psychiatrist, and taking anti-depressants which also help with the Anxiety.
I'm very happy to say that I haven't had a full out "tantrum" since I began
taking the meds.

Do you think it's possible that Anxiety and/or Depression is making things
tougher for you than they ought to be? Or are you already diagnosed with
those and haven't found the right medication yet?

LynneC
08-29-11, 09:22 AM
oopsadoodle, I just wanted to say 'Welcome!' :)
I'm glad you are here...

TygerSan
08-29-11, 09:27 AM
ok. i didnt explain myself properly. soooo i was already in a crap mood. then my self esteem went down cause my mom didnt trust me. even when i told the truth ( boy who cried wolf is the story of my life)but ya it was mostely cause of impulse. i barely realized what i was doing at first, it was like i was zonedout. then my dad calls and it hits me.I never did anything quite as serious as this as a teenager, but I'd definitely had intense feelings, especially when I felt like I'd screwed up yet *again* by being in a crappy mood, and seemingly everything conspiring against me to make it worse. Sometimes it's just impossible to be away from everyone.

Tony Attwood, someone who is incredibly well-versed in Asperger's syndrome describes something called a "suicide attack" in his book, that really seemed to capture a lot of what I would feel during my most down moments.

http://tinyurl.com/3uwaqdh

pooka
08-30-11, 02:36 AM
Welcome to the forums! I can be a little bit impulsive (more like blurting out stupid stuff than suicide attempts), and I've never done anything extreme. But I can still relate because when I'm upset then my emotions tend to get really strong and kind of overwhelming, and then I just make things worse for myself because I get sort of irrational. It really hurts when people are disappointed in you, especially your parents. However, you definitely didn't handle it well at all. It seems pretty clear to me that you need some help to get to a better place so that you're not doing crazy things like risking your own life because of something as stupid (no offense) as not getting a new phone. Self control can be really hard to learn but it's going to be necessary for you in order for your life to be a little saner.

Simenora
09-14-11, 09:44 PM
I am reviving this because my daughter gained a lot of insight and really appreciated hearing from others about their poor impulse control. She told me she didn't feel like such a freak anymore. I was watching for more posts about the crazy impulsive things that kids do because of their ADHD. I am sure she would appreciate your stories. BTW Oops is doing so much better now. Thank you

peripatetic
09-14-11, 10:08 PM
oops, i wasn't a tantrum thrower. *however*, while the circumstances may be different, i think the "model" is one i can relate to a lot. i'm not a teenager (not anymore), but i do have impulse control issues that .....they're significant. i have a history of just not thinking. consequences either literally don't occur to me...or they dono't seem applicable (yes...that *could* happen...but why would it?). i'm also not great at self assessment. yoiu mentioned having a low self esteem at points in one post. i have the opposite problem. so,in my head i think i've totally got things under control or can handle this or that...but i'm totally wrong and don't seethat until it's too late.

like others i do encourage you to work on finding ways to adjust your responses (like, the "boy who cried wolf" thing and the "brattiness"...you're going to want to work on those as best you can), but mostly because i've found my impulse control issues are still present as an adult and they're big enough without the added stress of the tantrums on these relationships.

overall though, i relate more than i don't;)

pechemignonne
09-14-11, 10:40 PM
I remember when I was about 10 we were visiting my grandparents in the US (about 3 hours south of the Canadian border). They lived kind of in the country at the time, their street was the last street in the trailer park, so basically across the street was a bit of forest and a huge field that led to a burnt-out barn.

As I've said on other threads, I really didn't like going to my grandparents'. She would pick on me constantly, the way I dressed, the way I acted, everything. My cousins made fun of me, even the one who had ADHD too, and I didn't like being with him because he was creepy. Anyway, this one day, everyone was in the living room, arguing and whatnot as per usual. My family is really, really loud, and they argue constantly. I don't even remember what specifically happened, if anything, to trigger it. I know I felt overwhelmed. But I just realized that I didn't want to be there, and that if I left they wouldn't even notice I was gone. So I did.

I just walked out of the house, across the street, and through the forest. I lay down in the field for a bit, maybe half an hour? I don't remember. Then I started walking around, towards the farm and then back along the highway. At some point my Dad found me, I guess he was driving around looking for me. I had probably been gone a long time. He was livid. So angry. When we got back my grandparents and my aunt tried to convince my parents to "spank me". They basically told me I was a horrible, spoiled brat.

At the time the idea that my parents might be worried didn't really occur to me. I was scared and confused that my Dad was so angry. I just wanted to get out of there. And I would have to say that if you took away the worry it caused my parents and the drama after I got back, it was the best afternoon I ever spent at my grandparents'.

TygerSan
09-15-11, 10:41 AM
I threw tantrums . . . I remember once I was sooo ****ed off about something (I don't even remember *what* now) I walked out onto the porch roof (suspended and supported by 2 chains, and not very stable). . .

Lunacie
09-15-11, 01:18 PM
I don't think I threw a lot of tantrums, but I slammed a lot of doors. There was a lot of frustration and feeling misunderstood, which made me so angry that it had to come out. My mom would tell me I needed to control my temper, but no one ever explained how to do that. I've struggled with that all my life, and slammed doors all my life. Taking an antidepressant to help me handle the anxiety has really helped with those "temper tantrums" and doors slamming.

Dony164
12-18-11, 02:13 PM
I've done things like this as well before i was put on medication, always impulsive, and i went to similar extremes but its all behind me now. I was literally just like a spoiled little kid, i know exactly what that's like : /. But after i while i just became easy going with a lot of things. i just learned to let go.

Spikey
12-24-11, 06:05 PM
I was a pretty relaxed kid, but I can remember getting really angry at my parents once for fighting (they were yelling really loudly at each other, and it was worse than the usual shouting matches) so I walked up to them and said, "I'M DONE WITH BOTH OF YOU!" or something to that effect, and slammed my bedroom door. I was trying to get them to shut up and stop fighting but instead they got mad at me.

Fail.