View Full Version : "Natural" Medications such as Attend

jbrody
09-01-11, 09:57 AM
I am the father of a 14 year old boy who has been diagnosed with ADHD. He has been on Ritalin for about a year or so and complains about not being hungry and other diet related issues.

Some people have suggested to me that "natural" products, such as Attend, might work well for him.

Can you please share your experience in using Attend? I looked/searched on the medications-specific forums and did not see any posts on this topic but forgive me if there is already a discussion and please direct me to the right place.

Dizfriz
09-01-11, 10:38 AM
I am the father of a 14 year old boy who has been diagnosed with ADHD. He has been on Ritalin for about a year or so and complains about not being hungry and other diet related issues.

Some people have suggested to me that "natural" products, such as Attend, might work well for him.

Can you please share your experience in using Attend? I looked/searched on the medications-specific forums and did not see any posts on this topic but forgive me if there is already a discussion and please direct me to the right place.
The problem with over the counter items such as this is that while they may work for a few, generally they do not.

Very often they seem to work on those with some sort of deficiency that mimics ADHD. This is not unknown to happen. Generally speaking, if something like this "cures" ADHD then the person was likely not ADHD in the first place.

Here is a good discussion of alternative treatments for ADHD:

http://www.help4adhd.org/en/treatment/complementary/WWK6

This is a reputable source and what they say is almost always accurate.

Right now there is little evidence that the supplements such as Attend are effective for the treatment of ADHD.

You can try it if you choose as long as you know what you are getting into.....an informed choice if you would.

Having said all this, it would be very nice if these type of things did work but alas........for most they don't.

You are searching for something to help your child. Many, including myself have been there and can well empathize.

Dizfriz

sarahsweets
09-01-11, 10:51 AM
I think the regulations for natural products are pretty lax.

jbrody
09-01-11, 11:13 AM
Wow, this is an incredibly helpful post, thanks very much