View Full Version : Anyone Taking Desoxyn Any More?

douglasb52
09-16-04, 06:43 PM
Just curious. I know it's still out there but it's probably the most expensive in this category, and the only one that is actual legal methamphetamine. I took it 20 years ago, a 15 mg time release pellet. One of those recreational situations. But it was really pretty good, and I didn't get a buzz really. Just felt very very good. I think now it's only in 5 mg tabs, and if you get the brand it's ridiculous, like $180 for a hundred of them. What does the DEA make them do, deliver them in a Brink's truck?

Gregster
09-16-04, 07:14 PM
You can't even get Desoxyn in Canada. I imagine that a doctor would only use it last, once other stimulants have been tried. Even then, you'd probably only get a scrip for it from an ADHD expert who has prescribed it before. It doesn't really make sense to me - methamphetamine is not radically different from dextroamphetamine in it's effects - only it's reputation. The simple fact that it's easier to synthesize in a clandestine lab than other amphetamine derivatives has tainted it.

exeter
09-17-04, 12:54 AM
I'm not taking it myself, but I've heard of people who are taking it, so I guess the answer to your question is yes.

douglasb52
09-17-04, 02:06 PM
I agree with Gregster. Yes, it's methamphetamine, but it's not crystal meth made in some high desert shanty by space ghost biker "cooks." It is pharmaceutical grade and the way Abbott makes it, it's actually smoother than anything out there. I checked Walgreen's pharmacy online here in So Cal, and they do carry it. But it is rarely prescribed. My psyche is an intern at a clinic here in San Diego connected with the University of California SD. He's so green, I think I know more about what's out there than him. Great guy, though. Very open minded. He would give it to if I got on the level of Dex and wanted to sample it. There is generic. It's still $100 for a 100 5 mg.

Vito, ADDer
04-29-12, 02:37 PM
I came across this thread while looking for posts on methamphetamine tolerance. It's interesting to see what has happened in the (almost) 8 years since the original post.

The time release version of Desoxyn (called the Gradumet™) is no longer manufactured. What's more, Abbott Laboratories no longer makes Desoxyn. The branded tablet is now made by Lundbeck in the U.S.A. The generic methamphetamine HCl tablet is made by Mylan. Both are available only in 5 mg. instant release tablets.

The price for generic in Southern California ranges between $320 and $380, while the Desoxyn brand costs between $490 to $545 (100 tablets). That's about three times what they cost in 2004. Sheesh... :mad:

douglasb52
04-29-12, 04:21 PM
that's a ridiculous price. why even both making it if you're just going to hold it ransom? it's all driven out there by the black markets created by the USA's asinine drug policies and the DEA in particular. DEA Thugs beget Black Market Thugs beget Pharmaceutical Corporate Thugs....ad infinitum.

Vito, ADDer
04-29-12, 06:02 PM
Douglas:

There's no end of argument about what is the "real" cause of high pharmaceutical prices, but what I find most perceptive about your post is that you got the order (the sequence) of the thuggery right. It starts with the idiotic policies of the political state, which sets the tone for everything else that follows.

Black markets used to be created in response to restrictions imposed by imperial, monarchical, or otherwise tyrannical decree. At least in those circumstances you knew who to blame: The bozo (or bozette) at the top. But nowadays, with the layers of bureaucracy, political chicanery, and influence-peddling that goes on in the corridors of power, the "blame" is all smushed out over an amorphous, undefinable blob of "system"—one that has ever-increasing authority to control us, and ever-decreasing accountability to answer for the harm it causes.

The worst part of it is that the fraud is apparently invisible to most folks. There is a pervasive and apparently irrevocable belief (at least here in the U.S.) that because we elect those who control us, we are "free"...that we are not living under tyranny. Stated alternatively, it's like saying that we don't have tyranny because we get to choose our tyrants.

It's an absurd belief, but only a few can see the elephant in the living room. I suspect that many ADDers are increasingly among them, as the cost of our medications escalates beyond all reason. Notwithstanding all the arguments about the "real" cause(s), there is one indisputable fact about the state-created "shortage" that the black market serves, and the predatory drug companies exploit:The laws and policies that keep it in place are politically popular.
That's how those laws and policies came about in the first place...a bunch of politicians fanning the flames of public paranoia about evil speed freaks and drug-crazed hippies defiling The American Way™ and Everything That's Sacred™. So, with such a convenient boogeyman available for their fear-mongering, the political hacks charge to the rescue with...you guessed it—more idiotic laws and policies.

Of course it hasn't done anything to solve the drug problem. All the stats say that meth abuse has increased, not decreased. Terrific. So the problem is worse than it ever was, except that now those of us who have a legitimate, non-abusive medical need for the drug can't afford it. But the majority believes the boogeyman has been chased back under the bed.

It's a very special and insidious kind of tyranny—one that I call the tyranny of the majority over the minority. The fact that the entire mess has the Holy Blessing of the majority doesn't make it right, or fair, or just, or compassionate, or rational, or moral. It just makes it legal.

</rant> Oops...sorry for the rant.

Anyhow, I totally agree; the prices of ADD meds are ridiculous...out of all proportion to their cost of manufacture, even including the burdensome cost of excessive state regulation. But it's clear to me that the state is the cause of the problem, not the solution to it.

douglasb52
04-29-12, 07:36 PM
I've had an inattentive, narcoleptic form of ADD all my life. Because of my age, at the time it had the most impact on my permanent future personality as an adult, in the late 60s when I was in high school, I never got anything but parental and institutional criticism for being "lazy" despite my apparent "high IQ" and entered adulthood as your quintessential nerd: overqualified, undersexed, no confidence, and a secret imagination that could fill a library.

From partying I recognized that I liked stimulants. they made me feel complete. but as I marched toward that top of the hill age of 40, i became more and more addicted to alcohol from social anxieties that originated from my low performance in school and early adulthood.

I come out the other end at age 60, have not drank since 1999, but can't say anything about it because I am automatically called an "addictive" personality and therefore no adderall or desoxyn or dexedrine for you, you BAD BOY.

Any ADDer born in the early 50s knows what I'm talking about. When you needed to be diagnosed you were simply judged and called names. When you discovered what drugs strangely worked you were just "getting high". When you became a drunk you caught a DUI and had some other judgmental experiences that labeled you something else. When you thought Adderall would help you everyone tells you "that's for kids" or "you're just a drug-seeking addict."

All you want is something that makes a day feel like a DAY, like where you think up stuff and then actually do that stuff, and develop TASKS that extend and get finished in the coming weeks and months....

Instead of having insomnia and having a TODO list that you can't remember or find in the morning and even if you do, you're permanently groggy all day and it turns into a TO-DON'T list, like always.

Anyone relate?

Vito, ADDer
04-29-12, 08:24 PM
I can relate to some of it. I have always been a very energetic humanoid, yet when I didn't do my homework in high school I was dubbed "lazy." (That was in the early to mid-1960s, when ADD was completely unknown.)

WTF? :confused: Lazy? Me?!?

I wasn't lazy; I was bored...well, except for those courses in which I had excellent teachers. Actually, I'm naturally curious about almost everything, and it doesn't take much to get me interested in something. But when it's presented in a regimented, dry, lifeless, uncreative way that presumes I'm going to just absorb it like a doggone sponge and regurgitate it on a test without any actual comprehension...ZZZZZZZZZZZZ! Fortunately, I had some excellent math and science teachers, which pretty well determined what I was going to do in college: physics.

Not to slight the right brain, I've always had a passion for music. I started a band in high school, played regularly throughout college, which took me into rock'n'roll, jazz, touring, and recording (in between science and engineering gigs), and ultimately the happy merger of the left brain and right brain, concert and studio audio engineering and music production. So I've led a double life, as both a physicist/engineer and a musician/composer/producer. I now understand that it was not "overachievement" dysfunction; rather, it was the only way I could keep myself interested enough to actually be productive.

In late 1998, I was working as the senior scientist for an environmental engineering firm...minimum 60-hour weeks, with gusts up to 110 hours, hardly seeing my wife and kids. Touring was out because I didn't want to leave my family, and studio work didn't pay anywhere near as well as the scientific work. Consequently, I had mostly abandoned music so I could pay the bills. There went my sanity. It got old, and I was struggling with procrastination because sometimes the work was so God-awful boring. That led to depression, anger, and frustration. It was no way to live.

Someone suggested I see a psychologist.

Me: "Huh? Why?"
Someone: "Because you have all the signs of ADD."
Me: "What're you talking about? There's nothing wrong with my attention..."

It didn't make any sense, because I'm typically able to hyperfocus...er, as long as I'm interested. Long story short, the psych said, "You're big-time ADD." So I went for the evaluation, and sure enough...off-the-charts ADD, overfocused subtype.

After about a month of trying different meds (including Desoxyn, which worked), it turned out that the best of them (for me) was dex. It's still true, but the dex shortage has driven me back to meth temporarily...which is what prompted me to learn more about it.

So, Douglas...are you saying that because of your history of alcoholism you can't get a doctor to prescribe stimulant meds for your narcoleptic ADD? If so, that just plain sucks.

tambourine-man
05-02-12, 11:45 PM
^^^ Major high five for all your posts! You are very helpful and articulate.

SnareDrumzZz
05-03-12, 04:54 PM
^A Lot moreso than yours.

trewonyola
05-09-12, 11:49 PM
Just got a script last week for Methamphetamine HCI 5mg quantity 30. I fill them next week, but it's $117 for 30 tabs here in Independence, MO!

Vito, ADDer
05-13-12, 01:45 PM
Just got a script last week for Methamphetamine HCI 5mg quantity 30. I fill them next week, but it's $117 for 30 tabs here in Independence, MO!
trewonyola: That's $3.90 per tab...pretty close to what I paid here in Southern California ($3.82 per tab for 100 tabs).

Some pharmacies I called quoted a lower price (Wal-Mart was the lowest at $316 per 100), but there was a catch: they claimed they could not tell whether they could actually get it until they ordered it, and they wouldn't order it until I brought in my prescription. Then I'd have to wait three days to find out whether their distributor would supply it. CVS gave me the same story.

I wasn't born yesterday; that sounds like a total pantload to me. I suspect it's code for, "We really don't want to have to deal with methamphetamine...please go somewhere else..." No problem. And you can be sure I'll take ALL of my business somewhere else. Jerks.

As usual, I got the prescription filled at Costco. There was no nonsense about whether they could get it. They could, and they did. In two days.

retupmock
05-13-12, 05:12 PM
trewonyola: That's $3.90 per tab...pretty close to what I paid here in Southern California ($3.82 per tab for 100 tabs).

Some pharmacies I called quoted a lower price (Wal-Mart was the lowest at $316 per 100), but there was a catch: they claimed they could not tell whether they could actually get it until they ordered it, and they wouldn't order it until I brought in my prescription. Then I'd have to wait three days to find out whether their distributor would supply it. CVS gave me the same story.

I wasn't born yesterday; that sounds like a total pantload to me. I suspect it's code for, "We really don't want to have to deal with methamphetamine...please go somewhere else..." No problem. And you can be sure I'll take ALL of my business somewhere else. Jerks.

As usual, I got the prescription filled at Costco. There was no nonsense about whether they could get it. They could, and they did. In two days.

I know that feeling. I went to two pharmacies. This is how it went:

Me: "Do you carry this medication?" *show prescription for Desoxyn*

Pharmacy: "Umm.. *looks it up on computer, gives me strange look with raised eyebrows* No, we don't have that."

Me: "So... do you think you could order it?"

Pharmacy: "Uhhh... no we don't carry it" OR "Sorry it's on backorder".

Then the same day, at another pharmacy:

"We don't carry it, but I could order it for you!. Come back tomorrow morning."
And they did.

:scratch::confused: