View Full Version : How to avoid Adderall tolerance (yes, it can be done).

tambourine-man
09-05-11, 02:00 AM
I've been getting a lot of pms from people wanting to know how to avoid tolerance to Adderall. So here it is, yet again, but short and sweet, without all the mumbo jumbo...

I've been taking Adderall (or Vyvanse) for a little over a year and have noticed little, if any, tolerance. I have found two methods to be effective...

Chelated magnesium: Yes guys, it works. Take magnesium (chelated!!!) at bedtime. That's it. I'm not going to explain why this works. Google it.

DXM: This can be found in Robitussin or Delsym. This may not be the healthiest method, though whether or not it is genuinely unhealthy is debatable. I personally take half a cap of Delsym in the evenings. Why not just take magnesium? Well, I typically do. However, I have noticed that DXM not only prevents tolerance for me, but reduces it as well. I have to be very careful, because a few days of steady dosing will take my tolerance right down to zero, and the meds can become too strong. So I take a children's dose every now and again, just for good measure.

I hope this helps assuage some of your fears, though I would like to add that the best way to avoid tolerance is not to over-analyze the effects of the medicine and definitely to not chase the high.

evansss
09-07-11, 08:57 PM
If I already find that frequent days off are keeping habituation to a minimun do you recommend these methods anyway? I take at least 1-2 days off a week and up to 2-3.

Xande86
09-07-11, 09:23 PM
If I already find that frequent days off are keeping habituation to a minimun do you recommend these methods anyway? I take at least 1-2 days off a week and up to 2-3.

Well, taking 200mg or 300mg of chelated magnesium wouldn't hurt.

lol it's a nice sleep aid too.

Macavity224
09-07-11, 09:35 PM
Tambourine, have you ever been on Dex out of curiosity? I just switched from Adderall to that, and I'm thinking this method will work for both, considering they're both amphetamines...

BalanceisKey
09-08-11, 05:28 PM
Is there a brand you recomend?

I've been getting a lot of pms from people wanting to know how to avoid tolerance to Adderall. So here it is, yet again, but short and sweet, without all the mumbo jumbo...

I've been taking Adderall (or Vyvanse) for a little over a year and have noticed little, if any, tolerance. I have found two methods to be effective...

Chelated magnesium: Yes guys, it works. Take magnesium (chelated!!!) at bedtime. That's it. I'm not going to explain why this works. Google it.

DXM: This can be found in Robitussin or Delsym. This may not be the healthiest method, though whether or not it is genuinely unhealthy is debatable. I personally take half a cap of Delsym in the evenings. Why not just take magnesium? Well, I typically do. However, I have noticed that DXM not only prevents tolerance for me, but reduces it as well. I have to be very careful, because a few days of steady dosing will take my tolerance right down to zero, and the meds can become too strong. So I take a children's dose every now and again, just for good measure.

I hope this helps assuage some of your fears, though I would like to add that the best way to avoid tolerance is not to over-analyze the effects of the medicine and definitely to not chase the high.

tambourine-man
09-08-11, 10:13 PM
Yes, it will work for Dex as well. Absolutely. I take Solarray magnesium chelate.

Also, for DXM, I go with Delsym, because it is a polysterex (extended release) solution. A dose taken before bedtime seems to diminish any perceived tolerance by morning.

I do, however, experience doses lasting a shorter duration as I grow tolerant. The intensity, however, has not diminished in the least.

Macavity224
09-09-11, 08:40 AM
Yes, it will work for Dex as well. Absolutely. I take Solarray magnesium chelate.

Also, for DXM, I go with Delsym, because it is a polysterex (extended release) solution. A dose taken before bedtime seems to diminish any perceived tolerance by morning.

I do, however, experience doses lasting a shorter duration as I grow tolerant. The intensity, however, has not diminished in the least.

One more question about Magnesium...currently I take a calcium/magnesium supplement every morning...vegan diet, so I don't really get calcium from much other places. I know that calcium and magnesium do some weird things with each other if one dose is higher than the other though...for example, if I took a separate calcium and a seperate magnesium supplement that weren't formulated/dosed to "work together." I only ask because I don't want to go out, buy magnesium supps, and start taking them only to realize that they're not absorbing because of some weird interaction with the calcium.

tambourine-man
09-09-11, 11:58 AM
Um, I really don't know. I get a done of calcium because I drink milk nonstop.

kolaborator
09-09-11, 01:33 PM
One more question about Magnesium...currently I take a calcium/magnesium supplement every morning...vegan diet, so I don't really get calcium from much other places. I know that calcium and magnesium do some weird things with each other if one dose is higher than the other though...for example, if I took a separate calcium and a seperate magnesium supplement that weren't formulated/dosed to "work together." I only ask because I don't want to go out, buy magnesium supps, and start taking them only to realize that they're not absorbing because of some weird interaction with the calcium.

Yes, calcium and magnesium compete with each other for absorption so it is not recommended to take both at the same time. When the supplements combine the two, they only take into account the smallest dose of both minerals your body needs for proper function. To decrease amphetamine tolerance, it is best to take magnesium at night and calcium during the day.

Also, one should be very careful with DXM. While one can take DXM at low doses to decrease tolerance, one should NEVER take it at the same time as adderall due to the adverse effects on the cardiovascular and circulatory systems. Both meds significantly raise blood pressure, and for people with already elevated blood pressure this can be seriously dangerous.

One can take DXM in the evening after adderall wears off, or on off days. Taking it in the morning, before adderall, is not usually advised, due to the unpredictable potentiation of the amphetamine.

Memantine, just like DXM, is an NMDA receptor antagonist. Whether it is as effective as DXM for tolerance is a topic of much debate, but it is certainly a much safer alternative.

tambourine-man
09-09-11, 02:00 PM
Yes, this is very true. Adderall plus DXM equals a mess.

Possum
09-09-11, 06:44 PM
I have some questions. It's often hard to find things in my teensy little town. I looked for Delsym DXM and only found DM Max containing dextromethorphan HBr 10mg. Is this the same as DXM?

And I could not find chelated magnesium anywhere, although the pharmacist said she could order some for me. If I remember correctedly chelated minerals are easier to absorb, right? So for now I bought magnesium softgels, 400mg which are supposed to be "micronized" 50x smaller than regular magnesium. Will this work as well as the chelated stuff or should I just go ahead and special order it?

Thanks for your answers!

Xande86
09-09-11, 07:20 PM
I have some questions. It's often hard to find things in my teensy little town. I looked for Delsym DXM and only found DM Max containing dextromethorphan HBr 10mg. Is this the same as DXM?

And I could not find chelated magnesium anywhere, although the pharmacist said she could order some for me. If I remember correctedly chelated minerals are easier to absorb, right? So for now I bought magnesium softgels, 400mg which are supposed to be "micronized" 50x smaller than regular magnesium. Will this work as well as the chelated stuff or should I just go ahead and special order it?

Thanks for your answers!

I couldn't find magnesium in stores either, except for low quality magnesium oxide. I ordered online.

relax21
09-09-11, 11:02 PM

Yes, DM and DXM are both abbreviations for dextromethorphan. DM is the more appropriate abbreviation.

pedalpounder
09-10-11, 12:02 AM
Dextromethorphan is evil. Seriously, that stuff cannot be good for you. I can't believe it's over the counter honestly.

tambourine-man
09-10-11, 01:57 AM
Dextromethorphan is evil. Seriously, that stuff cannot be good for you. I can't believe it's over the counter honestly.

Were you once, or have you known, a recreational DXM user? I really don't see where that comment would come from.

Yes, DXM is a dissociative anesthetic, like PCP, Ketamine, and Nitrous Oxide, and, when taken in significant doses, it can profoundly alter consciousness. This effect can be sought in an irresponsible way.

But to say any particular drug is evil is a bit silly. I've seen methamphetamine devastate entire communities, but it, and Adderall, are still terrific meds when used appropriately.

kiosk
09-10-11, 11:40 AM
by accident I found that low dose seroquel at night-time helps my tolerance issues....has to be <50mg and it takes a couple days to get used to it...first few days makes u a bit lethargic during AM.....
but as a dopamine antagonist it helps desensitize the DA receptors giving them a break from the constant flood of from adderall...

this may or may not work for everyone...but i tried all know magnesium forms and it didnt do squat for me....and DXM made me feel like crap

tambourine-man
09-10-11, 11:58 AM
by accident I found that low dose seroquel at night-time helps my tolerance issues....has to be <50mg and it takes a couple days to get used to it...first few days makes u a bit lethargic during AM.....
but as a dopamine antagonist it helps desensitize the DA receptors giving them a break from the constant flood of from adderall...

this may or may not work for everyone...but i tried all know magnesium forms and it didnt do squat for me....and DXM made me feel like crap

YES! Sooooo true! I've discovered this myself. I actually think the two should be prescribed more together more often, as Seroquel helps you to sleep, and does aid in reducing tolerance (at 25 to 50mg).

Macavity224
09-10-11, 12:01 PM
YES! Sooooo true! I've discovered this myself. I actually think the two should be prescribed more together more often, as Seroquel helps you to sleep, and does aid in reducing tolerance (at 25 to 50mg).

But wouldn't a dopamine suppressant and an amphetamine work against each other? For example, wouldn't the Seroquel still be exerting its effects by the next morning when you took the Adderall? Or would 25-50mg be too low a dose to still be doing anything a couple hours later?

BalanceisKey
09-10-11, 03:51 PM
been using dxm for 2 days while i wait for my magnesium chelate in the mail and daaaamn. The first day i noticed no change and was disapointed but today i reallyyy feel the difference

tambourine-man
09-10-11, 07:50 PM
been using dxm for 2 days while i wait for my magnesium chelate in the mail and daaaamn. The first day i noticed no change and was disapointed but today i reallyyy feel the difference

Yeah, careful with it. They say it can't reverse your tolerance, but I swear I've dropped it down to nothing before using DXM.

tambourine-man
09-10-11, 07:51 PM
But wouldn't a dopamine suppressant and an amphetamine work against each other? For example, wouldn't the Seroquel still be exerting its effects by the next morning when you took the Adderall? Or would 25-50mg be too low a dose to still be doing anything a couple hours later?

It seems, in such a small dose, it does the job and leaves my system by the next day.

BalanceisKey
09-11-11, 01:25 AM
p.s. - you got me with that justin beiber link

Macavity224
09-11-11, 08:19 AM
So are there any sort of negative health effects that can come from daily consumption of DXM? I'm not talking about robo-trip boses, just a teaspoon a day, like you said.

tambourine-man
09-11-11, 12:34 PM
So are there any sort of negative health effects that can come from daily consumption of DXM? I'm not talking about robo-trip boses, just a teaspoon a day, like you said.

I don't imagine it is "good" for you. However, I wouldn't think it would be terrible either. I don't use it daily though.

BalanceisKey
09-13-11, 01:07 AM

i actually feel pretty good when i wake up now since starting dxm. I use to feel ****ty till i took my first dose of adderal. So idk if its healthy or not but i feel healthier

Walter White
02-21-12, 09:32 PM
I'm just curious, would this method work for tolerance to any drug or is it specific to amphetamines?

Fraser_0762
02-21-12, 09:45 PM
I'm just curious, would this method work for tolerance to any drug or is it specific to amphetamines?

I'd like to know this to.

Would it work with Methylphenidate as well?

spunkysmum
02-21-12, 09:50 PM
I've been getting a lot of pms from people wanting to know how to avoid tolerance to Adderall.

You know, I've always suspected that men get PMS!

Fraser_0762
02-21-12, 10:10 PM
If this really works, why isn't there more information on here and other sites about it? (i'm not doubting you that it does work) but surely there should be more notice about this? It's very very important that more and more people know this. Stimulant tolerance is probably the biggest issue for most people who take them. Preventing/reversing it would be a godsend.

Imagine only having to ever take 5/10mgs of Adderall or something each day and feeling just as great/motivated as you did the day before.

spunkysmum
02-21-12, 10:14 PM
Imagine only having to ever take 5/10mgs of Adderall or something each day and feeling just as great/motivated as you did the day before.

Especially if you're like me and you're down to trying to get by on a half-pill a day to stretch them out until you can afford a refill.

Fraser_0762
02-21-12, 10:15 PM
Especially if you're like me and you're down to trying to get by on a half-pill a day to stretch them out until you can afford a refill.

Why don't you give this method a go yourself then?! :)

holepunch
02-22-12, 02:11 AM
I'm a little confused how DXM could reduce tolerance induced by amphetamines. DXM is primarily a serotonin reuptake inhibitor and NMDA receptor antagonist. It has little interaction with dopamine, which is NT implicated in amphetamine's mechanism of action.

Even though serotonin reuptake inhibition could cause a cascade which may affect dopamine levels, I think the only thing that DXM may do is indirectly increase the levels of dopamine available so when you take an amphetamine drug, more dopamine is released vs. if DXM wasn't administered. This could give you the false perception that you are avoiding tolerance, when in fact, you are just feeling the effects of more dopamine stimulating receptor sites.

I could be wrong but i'm just thinking out loud.

Alexandra

Massari
02-22-12, 10:34 AM

Good information!

Massari
02-22-12, 10:51 AM
I'm a little confused how DXM could reduce tolerance induced by amphetamines. DXM is primarily a serotonin reuptake inhibitor and NMDA receptor antagonist. It has little interaction with dopamine, which is NT implicated in amphetamine's mechanism of action

That is a wrong assumption on the function of the antagonist with respect to it's interaction with dopamine. What we say is, DXM prevents tolerance. It's like:

Medical doctors prevent sickness and disease in a human being. And you argue: "If doctors prevent sickness and disease in a human being, how come you find more sick people in the hospital, where there are doctors, than at home, where there's no doctors!"

kiosk
02-22-12, 06:30 PM
I'm a little confused how DXM could reduce tolerance induced by amphetamines. DXM is primarily a serotonin reuptake inhibitor and NMDA receptor antagonist. It has little interaction with dopamine, which is NT implicated in amphetamine's mechanism of action.

here you go...

Amphetamine tolerance is caused by excess Ca++ influx through the NMDA receptor gated calcium channels on the outer membranes of the dopamine cells bodies in the ventral tegental area, one of two areas in the brain with concentrations of dopamine producing neurons.

taking an appropriate NMDA (partial) antagonist will prevent the development of a tolerance for the effects of an amphetamine or amphetamine-like stimulant. Also, by preventing excess Ca++ influx into the neuron, an NMDA antagonist will prevent associated brain alterations and damage (excitotoxicity)

Modulation of dopamine D2 receptor expression by an NMDA receptor antagonist in rat brain
(http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10096038)
The role of excitatory amino acids in behavioral sensitization to psychomotor stimulants. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9560846)

btw...u are pretty hot looking!! that alone addresses my tolerance!!! :D

Urgezz
02-23-12, 02:00 AM

Even though serotonin reuptake inhibition could cause a cascade which may affect dopamine levels, I think the only thing that DXM may do is indirectly increase the levels of dopamine available so when you take an amphetamine drug, more dopamine is released vs. if DXM wasn't administered. This could give you the false perception that you are avoiding tolerance, when in fact, you are just feeling the effects of more dopamine stimulating receptor sites.

I could be wrong but i'm just thinking out loud.

Alexandra

as someone above pointed out, it has more to do with the NMDA antagonism which essentially flushes and gates receptor channels so to speak. of course, DXM is not the BEST NMDA antag for this purpose, it is just the easiest to obtain :p that being said, it's not a miracle fix, and certainly does not *reverse* tolerance in any substantial way.

IME, the DXM effect is pronounced the first few nights, but tapers off to subtlety quickly. honestly i stopped because i have enough pills and supplements to take on a daily basis! also, a lot of people here speak of the process of titrating up to find your optimal therapeutic dose, if you're lucky enough to have discovered this you shouldn't really need the DXM.

SWIMER
02-25-12, 06:58 PM
Does Adderall feel more potent than dexamphetamine?
Is this a stupid question ? :))

CrashBandicoot
01-18-13, 07:34 AM
bump for more info

perfectchronic
01-28-13, 05:56 PM

Why don't you just take some Milk Thistle? It detoxifies your liver, and make sure to stay off of your medication for a couple of days, while it's taking effect.