View Full Version : Getting a prescription for Desoxyn


Mike1994
09-05-11, 03:35 PM
I am very interested in getting a prescription for Desoxyn as I feel it can help my symptoms of social anxiety and ADD the best out of all meds. From what I have read it is the holy grail of meds for someone like me. Unfortunately due to the terrible stigma it's a difficult med to get. im just wondering if someone could help tell me what my pdoc would need me to say to him to get a script or what qualifies me to get a script for Desoxyn? What can I tell him to better my chances of getting a script? please help, I am desperate

namazu
09-05-11, 03:42 PM
You are right that it is difficult to get a prescription for Desoxyn.

Many pdocs will not prescribe it unless you've tried all of the other legal stimulants without success -- and some of the non-stimulants.

Even then, some will be hesitant. This is in part due to scrutiny by federal agencies, partly due to limited studies of legal use of methamphetamine (relative to other ADHD meds), partly due to insurance hassles (Desoxyn often requires pre-authorization with justification), and so on.

Why do you feel Desoxyn will be the "holy grail" for you? What other meds have you tried, and with what results? You may find something else that works just fine, without the hassles of Desoxyn.

Mike1994
09-05-11, 05:06 PM
You are right that it is difficult to get a prescription for Desoxyn.

Many pdocs will not prescribe it unless you've tried all of the other legal stimulants without success -- and some of the non-stimulants.

Even then, some will be hesitant. This is in part due to scrutiny by federal agencies, partly due to limited studies of legal use of methamphetamine (relative to other ADHD meds), partly due to insurance hassles (Desoxyn often requires pre-authorization with justification), and so on.

Why do you feel Desoxyn will be the "holy grail" for you? What other meds have you tried, and with what results? You may find something else that works just fine, without the hassles of Desoxyn.
I feel its the holy grail because thats what everyone says. Its supposed to be very effective with minimal side effects and lasts all day. Unlike the other drugs that come with side effects and all kinds of non-sense. To be honest I am new to medication and have only tried Adderall XR for the first time. I took 10 mg 2 days ago and 20 mg 1 day ago and I felt ABSOLUTELY no benefit. Maybe Adderall XR isn't for me? or maybe its the generic brand of it that is garbage quality is why I feel nothing. Anyway I hope it works but the reason I am wondering about desoxyn is just in case adderall doesnt work I want to see if I can maybe get some desoxyn even tho I probably couldn't without trying other stuff first.

relax21
09-06-11, 12:57 AM
I am very interested in getting a prescription for Desoxyn

To be honest, you're not a candidate for Desoxyn.

Desoxyn is either considered a last resort treatment option or it's not even considered for treatment at all.

I'm sure you're well aware of the stigma attached to methamphetamine. It's definitely not something you would want to ask your doctor for after being on Adderall for only three days.

Desoxyn usually finds success with individuals who have exhausted all other measures of treatment. Those rare individuals usually speak highly of Desoxyn because they either A.) could not tolerate any other stimulants or B.) did not find any other stimulants effective.

At the end of the day, it's not worth trying to attain a prescription for Desoxyn unless you're one of those extremely rare individuals who actually requires it.

Retromancer
09-06-11, 02:35 AM
@Mike1994: Give it a rest will ya? Since approximately 6 p.m. -- when you joined the forums -- you have started 7 threads essentially on the same topic.

http://www.addforums.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1873840&photoplog_searchinfo=1
(http://www.addforums.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1873840&photoplog_searchinfo=1)
There is no magic pill, stop your search for it. You have received good advice, follow it. Get back to us in say two weeks and tell us how you are progressing. If you are contemplating suicide (again) contact your doctor ASAP.

sarahsweets
09-06-11, 06:19 AM
Good luck getting desoxyn without your doctor running away to hide. Having tried 1 stimulant and deciding other options are useless does not bode well for you in terms of wanting appropriate treatment. Very few have been successful getting this and I'm not sure why or how this plays into your plans for treatment and prognosis.

Mike1994
09-06-11, 09:26 AM
@Mike1994: Give it a rest will ya? Since approximately 6 p.m. -- when you joined the forums -- you have started 7 threads essentially on the same topic.

http://www.addforums.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1873840&photoplog_searchinfo=1
(http://www.addforums.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1873840&photoplog_searchinfo=1)
There is no magic pill, stop your search for it. You have received good advice, follow it. Get back to us in say two weeks and tell us how you are progressing. If you are contemplating suicide (again) contact your doctor ASAP.
First of all don't tell me to give it a rest. I have a right to post as much as I want because I am very concerned about my situation. Secondly I know I will in no way get desoxyn anywhere in the near future because of the stigma or because I know I am not a candidate for it. This thread was merely me just thinking out loud.

FocusPocus10
09-07-11, 01:33 PM
First of all don't tell me to give it a rest. I have a right to post as much as I want because I am very concerned about my situation. Secondly I know I will in no way get desoxyn anywhere in the near future because of the stigma or because I know I am not a candidate for it. This thread was merely me just thinking out loud.

I actually disagree. The sides of desoxyn are heavily exaggerated by some on this forum. In reality it has less side effects than dexedrine and has far great efficacy, so why not try it? Doctors don't wanna prescribe it cuz they want you to suffer on 20 other meds first (and pay them 200 bucks a visit when you need to switch). That aint right.

Honeybadger
09-15-11, 02:43 AM
The problem is that it's potent stuff and completely worthless for the vast majority of people with ADD. It's hard to get, insurance doesn't cover it, it has serious abuse potential for those who don't need it, and, while it is an important medication, it only works in a very small percentage of ADD people.

You should only consider it a last resort because that's what it is. There are other meds that are statistically more likely to work (have you even tried Ritalin? It works in about 70% of people. All the other meds, combined are in the other 30%)

I have awful ADD, incredible insomnia, and focus/anxiety so bad that I've never been able to last three weeks in school. But the magic bullet for me turns out to be ritalin for my sleeping tics and clonidine. Seriously fringe medication combination.

I did try desoxyn, and it did nothing for me whatsoever.

FocusPocus10
09-15-11, 10:22 AM
Please provide citations for you claim that Ritalin works for 70% of "people" while all the other meds combined work for 30%. That sounds quite absurd.

Nnnnnn
09-15-11, 02:49 PM
Hi, Mike 1994.

Do what your doctor says, ask him questions and be patient. Those pills are controlled substances you don't get them because you WANT them.

CrushCrush
09-16-11, 04:16 AM
You should only consider it a last resort because that's what it is. There are other meds that are statistically more likely to work (have you even tried Ritalin? It works in about 70% of people. All the other meds, combined are in the other 30%)

Can someone else please comment on the above statement?

Kimmy1
09-16-11, 04:30 AM
WOW! I didn't even know it was still available!
I read something interesting put out by the Oxycontin folks several years ago. (They were trying to clear their name by putting out some anti-drug stuff.):p
ANYWAY, there was a claim made by one of the "experts" they hired that said anyone that used one kind of amphetamine for a significant amount of time couldn't tell one from the other.
I think that would depend on the dosage of each substance for one thing.
Since I have no plans whatsoever of acquiring a script for Desoxyn any time soon I'll take that "expert's" word on it.

relax21
09-16-11, 04:35 PM
You should only consider it a last resort because that's what it is. There are other meds that are statistically more likely to work (have you even tried Ritalin? It works in about 70% of people. All the other meds, combined are in the other 30%)

I believe it's widely understood that around 70%-80% of patients with ADHD find stimulant treatment effective. Dextroamphetamine (Dexedrine) as a treatment for ADHD has been found by some studies to be the best option as it tends to be most effective in children with ADHD. Methylphenidate (Ritalin) is typically regarded as a first line treatment stimulant but that does not mean it's any more effective or tolerable compared to amphetamine ADHD products.

namazu
09-16-11, 11:53 PM
I believe it's widely understood that around 70%-80% of patients with ADHD find stimulant treatment effective.
Just to follow up on this, Russell Barkley claims, in Taking Charge of Adult ADHD, p. 138, "You have about a 75% chance of responding to whatever ADHD drug is tried first." [Emphasis mine.]

However, in an earlier book -- ADHD in Adults: What the Science Says --Barkley cites papers giving a range from about 25% to 80%. A lot of factors -- study design, study population (e.g., "pure" ADHD, or with comorbidities, and which ones?), length of study, dose, etc. -- play into the numbers.

To re-cap, there's good evidence that stimulants may help a majority of adults with ADHD who are able to take them, but there is not clear-cut evidence that one stimulant medication is generally superior to another. (There is some evidence that long-acting meds may be more effective overall, perhaps because it limits the number of doses a person needs to remember, which is a real-life problem many of us face! But even then, it is not uncommon to supplement long-acting meds with short-acting ones to deal with individual needs and schedule demands.)

Oxycodone
09-22-11, 02:50 PM
Desoxyn is street only...no doctor will ever give you that. Unless nothing works for you after years of treatment.

Oxycodone
09-22-11, 02:58 PM
You can still ask your doctor for it, we won't stop you but he'll just classify you in his papers as:

addict/10
needs to be sent to rehab/10

Unless you know your doctor well and he can't afford to refuse your request because he respects you.

TrickyRicky
09-26-11, 11:12 AM
I take 40 mg per day and its been two years. No problems. Best med I ever used.

WorkAholic
01-06-12, 01:10 PM
I've exhausted all other meds as well. My doc says my tolerance is far higher than normal. Still, when I was calling pharmacies the people were almost rude at me for asking if they carried the medication. Someone on this post said that it won't be filled or prescribed at any pharmacy and I tend to believe that from the reaction I got from the pharmacies.

It is unfortunate though for people who may truly need it. I'm not sure if an extremely high dose of a stimulant or a script for Desoxyn would be worse.

Yellow
01-06-12, 10:40 PM
i dont think anyone really NEEDs it, it def helps with life a lot more than without, but its not like debilitating, which is why pharmacists tend to frown upon stimulants, moreso than benzos/opiates/other controlled drugs, i think anyway, probably because add is controversial to begin with.....and/or our rx's are makin their personal supply shorter lol jk (i once got an RX with used dexedrine pills, meaning they were handled with ungloved hands and they were exposed to moisture)

also, it is METH, i mean its a legit med and its dosed very conservatively from what i can see from other forum members, but its the legal, pharmaceutical equivalent of the single most dangerous drug on the streets....i mean imagine that cocaine could be used for dual diagnoses of ADD And depression, obviously not a likely situation, but it could actually be a useful medicine, the pproblem is its an addictive and dangerous substance.....so im still scared of desoxyn as a med, moreso than my antipsychotics that can kill you, like either slowly or due to a bad reaction

anyway, see what happens if u ask to try it.

rocco
01-11-12, 03:03 PM
Let's remember a few things about attention deficits and AMP-based meds-

Desoxyn is very simply the methylated version of dextroamphetamine (dexedrine).

Desoxyn, being methylated, simply has the quality of passing the blood-brain barrier with greater ease than dexedrine. Other than this, the two are the same. It is this quality (methylation) that makes it "stronger". Alternatively, the methylated preparation requires less substance volume to produce an equal effect.

Addressing attention deficits- this is for those who post their "shock, disbelief, and offense" of the use of such stimulants.

The brain chemistry of one with an attention deficit is DIFFERENT that one that does not. Stimulants are appropriate for treatment of this disorder.
Medications produced for the treatment of schizophrenia are appropriate for its sufferers, and not for others. BECAUSE THEIR BRAIN CHEMISTRY IS DIFFERENT.

rocco
01-11-12, 03:09 PM
I believe what they "WANT" is the most effective solution. Cut back on the assumptions.

tambourine-man
01-11-12, 03:50 PM
Let's remember a few things about attention deficits and AMP-based meds-

Desoxyn is very simply the methylated version of dextroamphetamine (dexedrine).

Desoxyn, being methylated, simply has the quality of passing the blood-brain barrier with greater ease than dexedrine. Other than this, the two are the same. It is this quality (methylation) that makes it "stronger". Alternatively, the methylated preparation requires less substance volume to produce an equal effect.

Addressing attention deficits- this is for those who post their "shock, disbelief, and offense" of the use of such stimulants.

The brain chemistry of one with an attention deficit is DIFFERENT that one that does not. Stimulants are appropriate for treatment of this disorder.
Medications produced for the treatment of schizophrenia are appropriate for its sufferers, and not for others. BECAUSE THEIR BRAIN CHEMISTRY IS DIFFERENT.

Second. It's amazing how one little methyl group can cause such hysteria. I'm currently taking Adderall with my Desoxyn, but will be back on an exclusive Desoxyn regimen when my insurance kicks in.

Desoxyn is the best, but it is way too expensive.

tambourine-man
01-11-12, 03:52 PM
Desoxyn is street only...no doctor will ever give you that. Unless nothing works for you after years of treatment.

Funny, all I had to do was ask for it. What's more, I've NEVER seen Desoxyn sold on the street. Why would it be? You can get 500mg of illegally produced ice for a fraction of the cost.

twinch42085
01-13-12, 03:50 AM
Funny, all I had to do was ask for it. What's more, I've NEVER seen Desoxyn sold on the street. Why would it be? You can get 500mg of illegally produced ice for a fraction of the cost.


I was on Desoxyn about a year ago. I am a extremely rare case I could say because I saw nothing HOLY GRAIL related to the medicine.

My rare case being that Desoxyn is the worst stimulant I have been on. Seriously, it was turning my ability to function normal into something that happens to 1% of test subjects.

I even went back to my doctor after a week of being on the medicine and pleaded with him to switch me back to dexedrine.

I gave him my bottle of desoxyn and he wrote me a script for 40mg of Dexedrine.

I probably speak for very few people when I say that Desoxyn is horrible.

But to just straight out ask your doctor for Desoxyn after being on Adderall XR for not even a week would be just like your chance of winning the lottery.

It ain't gonna happen buddy :-)

------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with tambourine-man's comment, so just go buy some meth off the street. It's quicker, cheaper, and just as addicting. :rolleyes: