View Full Version : lamictal and food?

Daniel652
09-06-11, 11:06 AM
has anyone thats been on lamictal, see any coorelation on whether they take it with food or not. i only ask this cuz the doc says take it with food in the morning but im not always a breakfast person. so i wanted to know if anyone noticed a difference.

i know what the company says "better effects with food" but thats from the company i like seeing no bias opinions. im sure you all understand :D

sarahsweets
09-06-11, 11:17 AM
I take my Lamictal first thing in the morning and right before bed before food. Ive never had a problem not having food when I take it.

Abi
09-06-11, 11:19 AM
Probably true

Its the same for Depakote ("take after meals with a little water if necessary, but no fizzy drinks etc. ; avoid alcohol)

I've never followed that, since I also eat at erratic hours. I usually take it with a healthy gulp of Coke, sometimes spiked with something stronger.

It still works, more or less. I mean, I'm nowhere near as hypomanic as I am off the medication.

Daniel652
09-07-11, 09:38 AM
kk may i ask what MG your on? i just went up to 50, so i been anxious about how to take in since im really prone to nausea

AddaptAbilities
09-12-11, 05:04 PM
I take mine right before breakfast, but I'm wondering if I should switch to taking it right afterward. It totally kills my appetite. This morning I woke up hungry, but it took me 3 hours to finish my breakfast.

So I guess right now I'm taking it on an empty stomach, then eating a few bites of food. That being said, it's totally working for me (I'm taking it more or less as an antidepressant for my mutant mood disorder). My mood is much better, much more stable. The only side effect that concerns me is the appetite problem because I work out a lot (I lift weights and run intervals on alternate days) so I need to stay well-nourished. On the plus side, I've lost the body fat I gained on Abilify and Lexapro last winter :)

wills11
05-15-13, 11:17 PM
I can take my Lamictal any time of the day under any conditions. I've never noticed a problem.

But I typically take it after lunch or in the afternoon after I've eaten just because I take other meds in the morning and evening and it's nice to have one less thing to take at those times.

When I first started it, and also when I had a dose increase, I noticed it made me pretty woozy and uncoordinated - almost like I was intoxicated - if I didn't take it with food (although the food didn't completely eliminate the feeling). But that passed in a couple weeks.

1000koni
11-08-13, 03:08 PM
generally during or after someting to eat., but no tolerance problems with this drug., low dosage 0.25 mg

Fuzzy12
11-08-13, 04:23 PM
I was advised to take it with food as well but it completely killed my appetite. I wonder though if it might have worked better if I'd managed to eat properly.

If not proper breakfast maybe you could have it with some biscuits or at least a banana?

phantasm
11-08-13, 05:38 PM
My bottle says to take it with or without food. I am on 100 and I notice no difference either way. never bothered me. I take it before breakfast and still eat like a piggy.