View Full Version : Adult with ADD / ADHD needs help in Canada

angel
09-17-04, 02:30 PM
I have been diagnosed with ADD and mild to severve depression. I have suffered from both all my life. It sure is frustrating sometimes especially now. I am finding it hard to know what the differnece is between what I am capiable of doing and what I want to do. I want to be a contributing member of society with a university education and a good paying job. That type of life is all I have known. Guess what I finished second year post secondary education and I barely kept my head above water. I expect third and forth year to become progressively harder and then the workforce even harder than the final year of school. Am I biting off more than I can chew???? I do not want to be a failure(what I personally consider as a failure) and not get a university education and a good paying job. I am in student loan debt way over my head. I am miserable because things are so incrediably difficult right now. So where is the line between potential and just having standards that I can not complete??? I am devestated that maybe there are things i just cannot do based on my disability... Does anyone have any suggestions???? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!

paulbf
09-17-04, 06:10 PM
Don't get too freaked out. It's all possible once you know what you are dealing with you can learn ways to deal with it. You aren't crippled, just different so some things will be harder or may just require a diffferent approach and you probably can do some things better also.

Ian
09-17-04, 09:39 PM
I expect we all get a scared at times. I know I visit the fears you mentioned frequently. Doubt, expectations and harsh reality checks are some daunting demons.

There is a lot you and I can do to learn to work with the gifts we've been given. There are many suggestions here on many different topics regarding how people are learning to cope. The search function is amazing! I can get lost there for hours..ehh

I came here initially looking for suggestions on how to find a coach and what exactly a coach is and found so much more. There is much to learn and much to practise. This is a place for support. Please be specific about your questions and join the rest of us in finding a better way... and welcome to the forums. :)
ian

willowmyst
09-17-04, 10:09 PM
Angel,
The words that scream out to me from your post are, "what I am capable of doing and what I want to do". My humble comment would be to evaluate the goals you're pursuing...are they yours and yours alone? Are you trying to live up to anybody's expectations but your own...are you following YOUR dream? Perhaps a change of direction, a different major will re-focus and re-kindle your energies. Take time to re-assess your goals. We are all capable of so much, but unless our heart is in it, we won't see it thru to fruition. Just a thought.....

Gregster
09-18-04, 01:02 PM
Don't panic - your diagnosis is the first step and sometimes half the battle. It helps you to pinpoint areas where you have weaknesses so you can make allowances for them and, often most importantly, the problems you have can now be ascribed to a medical condition rather than to flaws in your character (talking from personal experience) and it's amazing what that can do for your self-confidence. Medication can often make a huge difference too - one of the things I lament is that I wasn't diagnosed and treated until long after I finished school, my marks would have been SO MUCH BETTER.
ADHD is not a disability, and it's not necessarily a bad thing - it's quite common to see ADHD & a very high I.Q. together (there are researchers who study this specifically) I honestly think that if I could "trade" my brain for one without ADHD, but with and IQ of 100, there is no way I would do it! - ADHD is just a difference and sometimes in this world of "normal" people we live in, it can get in the way.
My advise to you is to read as much as you can so that you understand what it is and seek treatment for it - the medication is safe and more often than not, very effective. And don't lose hope, you will make it, I am sure.

anait
10-01-04, 02:35 PM
^^^ Gregster's experience very much mirrors mine! :) And I wouldn't want to be any other way - regardless of how tough it is, how I daily still struggle with not beating myself up when I do forget something...

I hope you feel comfortable talking online...I'm new here, but I have found great support on other internet forums! They can be a fantastic place to vent, to share ideas.

QueensU_girl
07-17-05, 11:57 AM
I can certainly empathise with your situation.

Canada is pretty huge.

We might be able to recommend RESOURCES if we knew what region are you in? (eg Ottawa, GTA, Winnipeg, NFLD)

Emma
:)