View Full Version : Just saying what's on my mind.

stellarpie
09-11-11, 10:32 PM
Driving is so frustrating. There is so many different things going on at once and I can't concentrate on them all. Then I got a person sitting next to me yelling at me for every road mistake I make and trying to explain the rules of the road while I'm trying to drive.

I just realized that I dont think its my memory that sucks, I think i have something like selective memory, I only remember things that I care about. Stuff related to school and things like that I absolutely don't care at all about, so thats like the first stuff I forget.

I can sure pay attention to halo, but I can't pay attention to our monotone teacher telling us about our past because I don't care enough, its like my mind just shuts off or something and I start daydreaming about stuff that I really like to do, like I will sometimes daydream about being at concerts seeing my favorite bands.

Well theres my little rant for you im new to these forums, so hi guys

julesjampot
09-12-11, 06:06 PM
Hi Stella Welcome

pechemignonne
09-12-11, 06:44 PM
I am 33 and I never got my license because I am so inattentive and clumsy I have always been sure that I would kill somebody. I took the bus most of my life, but now I'm lucky enough to have a bf that doubles as my chauffeur. ;)

TygerSan
09-12-11, 07:50 PM
Add me to the list of people here (and there are quite a few of us) who did not get our licenses as quickly as we could have. I only took the test when it became clear that my younger sibling (like 5 yrs younger) was on trajectory towards getting a license before me. Nothing like sibling rivalry to get you motivated.

That said, it took me years to start driving comfortably, and I still don't own a car. . . There's nothing that says you *have* to learn to drive now drive now.

pechemignonne
09-13-11, 04:44 PM
It's very limiting not having a licence, though, and depending on the bus service where you live it can make you dependent on other people. Which sucks.

TygerSan
09-14-11, 08:09 AM
It's very limiting not having a licence, though, and depending on the bus service where you live it can make you dependent on other people. Which sucks.

Yeah, it takes some lifestyle choices, and some very patient friends. . . I've never owned a car, and I can't drive my SO's (it's manual transmission), so I totally feel your frustration. I *do* live in a city, which makes things somewhat easier, but the transit system is the state's red-haired stepchild . . . only poor people use the buses, so who cares about them kind of thing.

Simenora
09-14-11, 08:23 AM
49 and got license at 44,finally. Don't drive unmedicated as per Barkley. He says no driving without meds. Of course he has the right to this opinion, his brother is dead.

And welcome. Obviously you are not alone.

pechemignonne
09-14-11, 09:43 AM
Yeah, it takes some lifestyle choices, and some very patient friends. . . I've never owned a car, and I can't drive my SO's (it's manual transmission), so I totally feel your frustration. I *do* live in a city, which makes things somewhat easier, but the transit system is the state's red-haired stepchild . . . only poor people use the buses, so who cares about them kind of thing.
Like I said, I am extremely lucky to have a bf who essentially chauffeurs me, because where I live the bus system is terrible. When I lived downtown it wasn't so much of a problem, there were buses and metros (aka subways)- except for the fact that groceries are heavy. But now I live in more of a borderline suburban area, and it is very difficult to get anywhere without a car. It means I have to ask my boyfriend to drive me every time I need to for example go to the pharmacy (which is often) or go out and do something social (which is less often). And he has his own health problems, so sometimes it isn't easy.

49 and got license at 44,finally. Don't drive unmedicated as per Barkley. He says no driving without meds. Of course he has the right to this opinion, his brother is dead.
I agree. I know some people might find Barkley's graduated-licensing and no-driving-without-medication suggestions to be harsh, but I think that operating a motor vehicle is an area where you're better off erring on the safe side. I think that his evidence shows with a lot of validity that for most of us driving without meds is like someone else driving drunk. I also agree with him that we shouldn't have any alcohol before driving.

I think people in general don't take driving seriously. They talk on their cell phones and eat and have arguments and do all kinds of things when they should be concentrating on driving. I understand that things sometimes come up, but in general if you are behind the wheel, driving should be your first priority.

buddy
09-14-11, 07:08 PM
I've had my license for over 30yrs. & I used to enjoy driving.About 6yrs. ago I started getting panic attacks when driving.So I stopped driving & my license has since expired.
My husband does all the driving now.I don't mind & he enjoys driving so it hasn't caused any problems so far.

Simenora
09-14-11, 09:50 PM
September 1 2011, Alberta...

Distracted Driver Legislation
No cell phones, texting, printed matter, GPS, food, makeup application, hair brushing

Allowed, hands free, water bottles.