View Full Version : Difficulty remembering?

Wake88
09-13-11, 04:12 PM
Basically I'm a registered nursing student with ADD(had ADHD in the past).

I have thoughts about my own condition that I was born with, and I've read about this condition as well. I want to validate my beliefs to see if I'm correct.

1. Do you struggle with remembering minute details of extensive topics? I feel that I'm quite intelligent, but my memory, couple with my inability to fous, drags me down. Then when I had Adderall in my system I felt a rush of memory. I could remember things quite well, and my working memory was excellent. As though I regained my sight.

2. Do you find boring studies to be hellishly difficult to remember? I do, badly. I had to read 200 pages on medical-surgica nursing in one week(this is only one book), and I swear my hair was falling out and my waist was shriveling up from stress.

3. Diabolically, do you find it very easy to remember things you have a passion about? I love gardening, playing certain rpgs, cooking, etc. I also played the Yu-Gi-Oh! tcg about 4 years ago and I could remember all of those things very, very easily.

4. Do you get frustrated with this condition and worry about trying to afford medication for ADD/ADHD? I do a lot.

5. Is it true that people with ADD/ADHD typicall are born with above-average intelligence?

I ask these questions because I think it's interesting to find a forum where people just like me talk about ADD/ADHD.

Michiko74
10-10-11, 10:33 PM
Hi there! I'm going to answer your questions in the order you put them.

1. Yes I do struggle with trying to remember details. Medication was great because it helped to keep my focus, so that I was able to remember things more easily.

2. Yes boring subjects are a struggle to remember. I'm also a nurse so I also know what you mean about med-surge reading! :) Subjects like that are also overwhelming. Nothing sends my procrastination into overdrive when something is overwhelming and detail oriented.

3. And yes, when I am really into a subject, I can read for hours and remember quite a lot!

4. Yes having ADHD/ADD is a very frustrating thing to have. I always have to work twice as hard as everyone else, and learning new things doesn't always come easily to me.
About medication; Right now, I'm in a very fortunate position where my benefit plan pays for my medication. But otherwise, yes I would worry about being able to afford my medication. I would always make them my priority though. I'd have to be in a pretty bad situation before I would be willing to give them up.

5. I don't know about the above average intelligence and ADHD. Although it seems like there are a lot of people who seem to have above average intelligence and have ADHD too :)

Spikey
10-11-11, 01:53 PM
Hey there! I too will attempt answers in the original order:

1. Yes. I do. Minute detail is my worst nightmare. History class is exemplary class for me because it's all minute detail, but I find that is especially true when the teacher isn't so great as well. I too find the medication helps with this. It also helps me because I love learning things (dork here!) and so when I'm on my meds I actually like school, making it easier to learn about it.

2. I'm fortunate enough to go to a school where almost everything I learn interests me, but yes, when I had to keep taking French I remember finding that I found it boring to do and so I hated it. Same goes for boring books in English class - Harder to remember because your mind wanders and you're not *really* learning the material.

3. Yes! Great books in English class as well as what we're reading in Latin class (my Latin teachers continually pick great works for us to read) so I find that I remember a lot more about that than I do about say certain topics like French. Biology class is the best for me because it's genuinely interesting. I want do work with psychology and research on learning disorders so I do my own independent research. I retain almost all of it.

4. Frustrated with ADHD? Of course! All the time! It takes me twice as long as my other friends to do school work AND I have to put in twice the effort to get the same grade. It doesn't help that I my best friend is "that kid" who's heart-set on going to Oxford for university and doesn't understand that not everyone is as fortnate as she is to not have to work and still get perfect grades. She also doesn't understand that it hurts to hear her complain about a 94 while I'm texting my mom excitedly to tell her that I got a 93 (this has happened). She does twenty minutes of homework a night because she doesn't do most of what's assigned (only what she thinks will be checked/turned in or big assignments), or if she does do it she does it at school the period before or during other classes. I never have had, nor will I ever have that luxury. As for medication costs, I'm very fortunate to still be under my mom's health insurance (and I'll be under it until I'm 26 because of the laws where I live) but I'm a little worried about when I go to university. I want to go to McGill in Canada (where I'm not a citizen, nor do I live there) and I'm not sure that my health insurance will follow me up north. So that does stress me out a little because I know my medication is expensive and the pill I take in the AM isn't out in generics yet. I hope my mom will be able to help me with that because as I've been informed non-citizens don't get access to the same free health-care as Canadian citizens do (which I kind of understand).

5. Well according to the test I had to take to see if I had ADHD, yes I am (I scored about 2/3 of the tests as "superior" and the rest were "very superior" except for 2 "average" scores. But I think that it's hard to say what intelligence is in the long run. We can have gut feelings about people's intelligence, but we're probably not thinking of the whole person. Art aptitude can't be tested by the tests that I was administered as far as I'm aware, and how can one test the intelligence of someone who's naturally gifted with animals (my friend, for example, happens to be naturally good with animals. She works at an animal sanctuary because of it and has worked with wild wolves and horses).

On the other hand, I know people who have ADD/ADHD and they are most certainly not of above-average intelligence. A girl I used to be "friends" with had ADHD and while I never gave her an IQ test, she never struck me as anyone with above-average intelligence. We're no longer friends, but from what I understand she's a complete train-wreck as well as being the mean-spirited, immature, and obnoxious person I knew when we were in elementary school and junior high.

Anyway, I hope this all helps. I'm going to go finish my history project now (this was my break).

rickymooston
10-16-11, 11:20 AM
1. Do you struggle with remembering minute details of extensive topics?

Depends on how interesting the topic is and whether the facts are related or not.

I think, we need relationships, its torture to remember facts that are unrelated. As a person with ADHD, you are a born high level top down thinker.

I've never been medicated.

People with ADHD can hyperfocus but its a matter of being motivated to do so.

2. Do you find boring studies to be hellishly difficult to remember?

Yes. However, I think its possible to get interested.

If you actually sink into that 200 page thing, just read it, you might get interested. Again, relationships are key.

If you finally do it, you will do well at it. But again, you have to see it as something you can do, overcoming your inertia

Your memory sucks. You have to take more notes. You need a high level model.

3. Diabolically, do you find it very easy to remember things you have a passion about?

Yes.

This is normal of course but we are more prone to get bored.

4. Do you get frustrated with this condition and worry about trying to afford medication for ADD/ADHD? I do a lot.

I don't take medication.

Sometimes I try cafeine

5. Is it true that people with ADD/ADHD typicall are born with above-average intelligence?

I've no clue. My IQ is 120, in theory, that is "above" average intelligence.

My processing speed is very slow but I am better at high levelthining

so i suck at crunching numbers

rickymooston
10-16-11, 11:21 AM
Questions for you:

1. Have you ever lost something, only to realize that you are wearing it?
2. Do you take tons of notes. Do you keep in my, you will probably only remember about 3 things?
3. Does your room look like a bomb hit it?
4. Have you ever burned a pan? Do you have a horrible sense of time, without the use of alarms you are screwed?
5. Do you prefer finding out the why?
6. can you change topics seemingllessly mid conversation
7. Does music sometimes get you very upset. Some music depresses the sh*t out of me.

I'm curious about nursing as an ADHD profession. I mean, I suppose the